Perfect Score verse Perfect Season

99 Blue Devils or 87 Garfield Cadets  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Battery Scores

• Devils Perfect Season
    • Garfield Perfect Score
    • Both are equally amazing

So this season's Blue Devils Blue smoke video got me thinking...was it better to have the Perfect Season like the 72 Dolphins...or, during it's time is the true mark...87 Cadets Perfect Score...likely never to be achieved again the better achievement? You don't have to ask me which one I think...i will give credit to both which are truly amazing feats...FHNSAB!

I don't think there's such a thing as a "perfect" score. A "perfect" score just means that the judge believed a certain score was better than the score than just went on by a certain margin, and the numbers get forced. I'd like to think that most judges desperately try to avoid perfect scores.

The blue devils werent cleaner than everyone at every show. There were 4 percussion sections that I can think of that were better than devs in 09. Its just easy as a judge to follow everyone else and keep things in line with the other scores. Nobody wants to be the odd judge out.

They were still good though, but as far as being impressive for getting a certain score, IMO the judging system is too flawed

BTW, devs probably would have won in 2008 if they didn't get a "perfect" 20 in the visual caption the night before....They had no room to improve on the sheets, but had a ton of room to improve on the field, which they did, though the score couldnt go up.

Oh well, at least the shows are fun to watch : )

BTW, devs probably would have won in 2008 if they didn't get a "perfect" 20 in the visual caption the night before....They had no room to improve on the sheets, but had a ton of room to improve on the field, which they did, though the score couldnt go up.

Not sure I completely agree with that. In the two captions where they got 20.0, their spreads with the Cavies were +0.2/+0.2 at semis and -0.1/+0.2 at finals. That's pretty typical for the top of any caption at championships.

The real change was the spread with Phantom in Vis Perf. +1.1 at semis and +0.1 at finals. And it wasn't just a question of numbers management. The finals judge had left room to potentially give BD a bigger spread.

Didn't bother to vote but even though both lines were great, neither was perfect.

well i'll go with the cavaliers on this... perfect season a perfect score :thumbup:

So this season's Blue Devils Blue smoke video got me thinking...was it better to have the Perfect Season like the 72 Dolphins...or, during it's time is the true mark...87 Cadets Perfect Score...likely never to be achieved again the better achievement? You don't have to ask me which one I think...i will give credit to both which are truly amazing feats...FHNSAB!

Do you mean 09 Blue Devils (instead of 99 BD, who tied SCV at finals)?

I think both accomplishments are impressive and rare, though Garfield's perfect 20 in percussion has still never been matched (BD 94, Cavaliers 02 both had undefeated seasons).

I don't think there's such a thing as a "perfect" score. A "perfect" score just means that the judge believed a certain score was better than the score than just went on by a certain margin, and the numbers get forced. I'd like to think that most judges desperately try to avoid perfect scores.

Not necessarily...as would be the case with the tick system...correct...start with perfect score and work your way down... are you saying that 87 scores were pushed to perfect based on the timing of the show?