What do space chords teach?

It teaches you how to be ######. The lot was my favorite part of marching. Shows were alright but the lot was where it was at.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used them to develop balance and blend. Unison, tone cluster, unison, tone cluster, etc. Step out of the balance of the ensemble and then get back in it upon resolution. Not necessarily space chords as the staff didn't necessarily agree with how they are taught and used in some groups, but more tone clusters.

Favorite staff quote in regards to space chords (which may need to be edited):

"Space chords are musical m**********n. They simply exist to get the guy in front of you off."

Edited by jakef

We used them as an exercise in tuning, as well. It sort of forces you to find your spot in the ensemble sound. Though I suspect that the staff did enjoy leading them just because of the sheer awesomeness of that exercise.

I remember we were rained off the field at Arizona State in 2007. We came back out after a short break and played the last phrase of our "C for 4, chord for 4" exercise to get our chops back in shape. The. Crowd. Went. Nuts.

After 30 or so years of playing space cords the novelty has worn off for me. The conductor has and increadible instrument in front of him but must respect each note as it is an individual player. Keep it interesting for the members and the crowd. Long and self indulgent minor manipulations mean frustrated players. And never, Never, NEVER bring it to a climatic FFFF with your lead trumpets screaming double C's and then bring it down to a quiet piano ending. Not cool. :thumbup:

Edited by dugada

eh... how to play loud, i guess.

all that stuff about balance is bunk, since balance in the arch has little if anything to do with balance in the drill.

Disagree. Section balance in the arc will, a lot of times, carry right over to the field.

After 30 or so years of playing space cords the novelty has worn off for me. The conductor has and increadible instrument in front of him but must respect each note as it is an individual player. Keep it interesting for the members and the crowd. Long and self indulgent minor manipulations mean frustrated players. And never, Never, NEVER bring it to a climatic FFFF with your lead trumpets screaming double C's and then bring it down to a quiet piano ending. Not cool. :thumbup:

You mean like our final warmup in 84? (Rob Brown sent me the tape years back...)