Placement of Mid-West drumcorps

I think PR, Cavies, Coats, Colts, Madison, Pioneer, Gmen and BS find this thread funny.

It's bad enough we get slotting from judges ... it appears the fans have bought into it since every post has been virtually identical.

So let's have some fun then:

Phantom takes 2nd

Bluecoats take 4th

Cavies take 7th

Madison takes 8th

Blue Stars 9th

Colts take 10th

Glassmen in 14th

Pioneer 15th

Crown gets its first win. BD in 3rd. Vanguard 5th again :( (tied with Cadets). 11th to BK and 12 to Academy.

Lots of fresh blood in top 12 that way .. and new blood moving up and taking titles. I WIN!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think PR, Cavies, Coats, Colts, Madison, Pioneer, Gmen and BS find this thread funny.

It's bad enough we get slotting from judges ... it appears the fans have bought into it since every post has been virtually identical.

Phantom takes 2nd

Bluecoats take 4th

Cavies take 7th

Madison takes 8th

Blue Stars 9th

Colts take 10th

Glassmen in 14th

Pioneer 15th

Crown gets its first win. BD in 3rd. Vanguard 5th again :( (tied with Cadets). 11th to BK and 12 to Academy.

Lots of fresh blood in top 12 that way .. and new blood moving up and taking titles. I WIN!

This would be cool

Phantom takes 2nd

Bluecoats take 4th

Cavies take 7th

Madison takes 8th

Blue Stars 9th

Colts take 10th

Glassmen in 14th

Pioneer 15th

not surprised

I think it's completely ironic someone mentions "slotting" and "PR" after last year...

Phantom takes 2nd

Bluecoats take 4th

Cavies take 7th

Madison takes 8th

Blue Stars 9th

Colts take 10th

Glassmen in 14th

Pioneer 15th

I hear all this about slotting all the time....and as much as it DOES happen....who in 09 do you think deserved to be 3+ places higher but didnt due to their reputation or previous placements?

I hear all this about slotting all the time....and as much as it DOES happen....who in 09 do you think deserved to be 3+ places higher but didnt due to their reputation or previous placements?

I don't know about 3 spots .. but I can go with 2 slots.

Boston, Vanguard, Academy.

Who do I think should have been DOWN 2+ slots but didn't due to reputation? BD, Cavies, Glassmen, Coats

Maybe if we were talking in terms of raw score rather than placements, it would be a better argument for everyone.

The problem is, the judges rank and rate. This automatically creates a scoring cushion between corps that often shouldn't be there.

In all honesty (IMO), I think Cavies, Boston, Coats should have been within 10ths of one another. Same said for PR and Blue Stars. Vanguard, BD and Cadets should have been VERY tight. I think the only thing that held Crown back from the win was the OVERALL visual design not having as much clarity as it has had in the past few years.

You asked, I answered ........ can't wait to see the responses.

1. Cavaliers - even if they 'suck' they are still going to be good... they will still have an amazing visual package. music might bring them back a bit

2. Phantom - Visual design most likely fixed and better than before the mess even, but guard may still be an issue. If the guard steps up and matches the rest of the captions they could probably beat cavaliers though.

3. bluecoats - expecting pretty much the same as last year

4. bluestars/madison - expecting good things from both, maybe one can take bloo

5. glassmen

6. colts

7 pioneer

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

Five of my drum corps buddies and I went out to dinner the other night. We had our usual fun discussion about the activity, until the subject of where we think the Mid-west corps will place, and the reasons behind our answer.

Here's my placement and reasons:

Cavaliers- Even though they are transitioning to a new/returning director, I don't see them losing a step.

Phantom-Yea, they came in 9th last year but, I think that will make them hungry in 2010 and razor close to the Cavs.

Bluecoats- Some years they are close to the top, some years they are stuck in the middle. I never thought the judges gave them the scores they deserve.(2007)

Blue Stars- I think they'll be in a battle with Bluecoats all summer. Their percussion scores just might put them even higher.

Madison- If that staff can get that corps to perform... Watch Out!

Glassmen- Need to get off to a good start. Hopefully they have a show that doesn't need a major overhaul this year.

Colts- I thought they could have made finals last year. Hopefully they'll change some judges minds this year.

Pioneer- They'll break 77.00 this year hopefully 80.00. Keep moving up Pio.

My friends hate DCP so, they'll never post their picks here.

What are your placement and reasons?

I'll take a shot in the dark.....

Phantom.....this corps may have had drill problems last year, but I felt musically they were strong and better than scored, with outstanding brass and percussion sections......I think the visual issue will be fixed.....back with a vengeance.....best in Midwest, and may win it all, but I predict them to finish 2nd........

Cavies......downswing.......passed by better musical products, although they will continue to hang due to strong visual and good overall execution........however, I see them no higher than 6th, but they will probably hold that....

Madison........they have a tremendous staff now.........I am sure they will have no design or arrangement issues, and should have attracted some talent.......it will still take them a year or two to totally rebuild and get into title contention.....I see them 8th, and if they get hot, perhaps higher.......

Blue Stars......also, another strong staff, and they now have a few years of finals under their belts........if they have a great product, a single digit finish is a strong possibility........I see them 9th, but with potential to maybe bump off a few more......

Colts...............one of the best corps to not make finals.........I think they will be in the finals hunt again...........I see them out by a sliver, but could step in if anyone falters.........

Glassmen........over-rated product last year..........the corps performs ok, but arrangements/excitement/wow factor haven't been there for me with this corps for awhile now, and although they may have been cleaner, I thought Colts had a better product last year............unless the arranging does a 180 here, I see them out, although it probably will not be by alot due to the maturity of the corps and the fact that they have been a finalist for awhile...........

Pio............don't know............hope that they grow and mature..............I would like to see a uniform change with this corps...........same colors, but a new look..............if you are going to go Irish, go Irish........bring out floorboards, mike them, and take an irish dance teacher on the road with the guard and work it to the hilt......hire a Michael Flatley klone to be the lead on the 50, and you will have the audience..........

I don't know about 3 spots .. but I can go with 2 slots.

Boston, Vanguard, Academy.

Who do I think should have been DOWN 2+ slots but didn't due to reputation? BD, Cavies, Glassmen, Coats

Maybe if we were talking in terms of raw score rather than placements, it would be a better argument for everyone.

The problem is, the judges rank and rate. This automatically creates a scoring cushion between corps that often shouldn't be there.

In all honesty (IMO), I think Cavies, Boston, Coats should have been within 10ths of one another. Same said for PR and Blue Stars. Vanguard, BD and Cadets should have been VERY tight. I think the only thing that held Crown back from the win was the OVERALL visual design not having as much clarity as it has had in the past few years.

You asked, I answered ........ can't wait to see the responses.

So you think Vanguard should have beaten Cadets... (who many believe should have beaten crown) puttin scv in 2nd or 3rd...

That would make Boston beating the Cavaliers and Bluecoats (if SCV got the place you thought...)

You think that would have been more accurate?

I think everyone wants corps to be place higher...but they cant...because other corps are placed higher...

for example- the coprs you think deserves to be in the top 5 isnt....but instead of looking at it that way, who did they deserve to beat?

I'll play.

Cavaliers: Likely 5th. I don't see them placing higher. I believe Crown and SCV will improve on last year, with the Cadets and BD not missing a step. Should be an interesting top 4.

Phantom: 6th. Rebounding is not going to be easy. They are certainly not going to jump to a 2005-2008 level after last year. Way too many problems last year to be magically fixed in one year. However, I do think they will rebound to 6th place.

Bluecoats/Blue Stars: 7th to 9th (with Boston).

Madison: 10th. That staff is just too good.

Glassmen/Colts: ?