Rules Changes, Day 2

I like Hop's idea myself. Actually, wouldn't using any instrument in a pre-show "running start" be legal right now? Just curious on that.

I don't know that- but I do know this:

in 2008 the Glassmen learned a preshow that they never performed. The preshow would have included a CD track (

) being played over stadium systems (or possibly from the pit) during setup, with the corps proper coming on from the side1 endzone in a "carnival train." The pit played from about 1:00 or so on and the horns came in around 2:00 playing backfield, with the first chord of the show as the world knows it at 2:35. It would have instantly boosted GE not only because it was cool in and of itself, but because parts of the show later on ("the carnival is over: reprise) were heavily dependent on the audience knowing what was being reprised in the first place.

Obviously it never happened. The horns learned drill and music and the pit learned music and practiced playing with the track at the glassbowl, but for any number of reasons (questionable legality, particularly if the backing track ran long, less pit setup time, difficulties of synching things across the ensemble, questionable stadium audio quality, etc.) it was pulled before the first show. I'm not 100% sure but I remember Brian Hickman telling the corps it was in a gray area and not to expect too much.

So I don't know if this sort of thing is legal now, but it would certainly be if Hops gets his way. It would still be very difficult to use effectively, but every new rule change opens up room good and bad.

That's one year, any other examples?

Well, phantom is 1 for 1 in using electronics in years they were allowed. While I personally hope they dont do it again, we both know how good drum corps are about NOT using things they dont have to....like amps, or trumpets, or.......yeah, nevermind.

Have corps show designers and staffs really exhausted all creative and entertaining possibilities that they have to expand the rules every year to allow for greater "artistic freedoms" in the name of entertaining the audience and increasing its fanbase?

I don't understand why the simplicity, beauty, elegance and power that drew me to become a fan over a decade ago still can't be used by itself to entertain people. I really wonder sometimes what goes on in the many meetings before and during the season with drum corps staffs, but I really can't fathom a discussion involving "you know an alto sax would really add to the effect of the brass feature right there." I know I've never had that thought.

I guess I'm just a little puzzled as to why there is this perceived need to add new things every year, when we obviously haven't exhausted ALL the resources of what we already have. The last thing I want to see when I go to a show is a gimmick filled 15 minutes using anything that a designer can come up with to try and get a response out of me. I appreciate it much more when they can get me excited using the tools already available, even if they may be a little "restrictive". As one of my drum corps instructors put it: "If it weren't hard everyone would do it. 'The Hard' is what makes it great."

/rant

:lol::lol::tongue::tongue::bleah:

Vanguard opened their show with a sop playing the Tradition lick. What's wrong with this? Why isn't this good enough anymore?

Have audiences become so stultified that they can no longer "suspend disbelief", so to speak?

no. designers have

I agree. I wonder why a drum corps would waste time and effort programming and cleaning a product that they can't compete with. It would seem like a waste of resources, IMO. I can understand wanting to have absolute freedom with design choices, but IMO it should be all or nothing: if it's not legal in competition, why bother with it in a pre-show?

Of course, the thought could be,

"He, if we have a three minute preshow oboe feature, the audience will be so ###### off that when we start the competitive show with just brass and percussion they will be overjoyed and love us!" :tongue:

I take it that, since the tongue is hanging out, you were joking. It must be a joke! "Overjoyed?" No way. "Love us?" I think not. I still have nightmares about "Hop" pulling the corps off the field to get the field lined prior to starting their 1/4 finals show in Pasadena! If he causes the corps to do anything as stupid as that, then, no, the crowd will not be "overjoyed" or "love" them! It will be boos, just like in Pasadena!

Just my opioion as a drum corps fan.

Ron Gunn

Exactly... A fake Rolex bought on the streets of NYC looks just like the real thing, but knowing you have the genuine thing makes it all the better.

I'd like to add though that the "extra stuff" shouldn't just be thrown into the show because it can be but because the show calls for it. (I.E. a red violin for a red violin show not saxophones because "anything goes")

Just want to give a shoutout to a fellow Brig. I am Ron Gunn; Brigs '92, 93, 95, 96! Oswego class of 2000!

I hope to see you on the road this season. I will be at a lot of the Cadets' shows.

Have a great summer! I will clap and scream when appropriate.

1..2..3..BRIGS!

Ron Gunn

That was so the corps shows could fit on the albums without special and costly production costs. Standard album had room for 25 minutes. At 13 minutes, two shows exceeded standards. With CDs and DVDs, that reason has long been put to pasture.

I still have albums from the 70's-80's w/ 2 corps/side.

Maybe your contention is part of the reason, but it was also sold to the fans as a way to ge more corps on the PBS telecast, which was free (unless they could guilt you into a pledge) and available to just about every television set in the US of A.

"No" to the first proposal, and in fact since there may be a loophole, let's offer a counter-proposal that DCI clarify that instruments or other elements not allowed during the rest of the show are to also be forbidden during warm-up.

The second proposal's fine.

Edited by Peel Paint