1979 vs 2007 a debate

You make a great point, but I think the differences are not as dramatic as you might think. I bet if you took a football analyst and made them wath 1979 and 2007 drum corps, he may not think there is as much difference as between 1979 and 2007 football.

Just remember, the more you are knowledgeable about something, the more diversity you can find in it.

Even the TIME on the field of competition in DCI has changed between that of 1979 and 2007. Corps in competition in 1979 were judged longer as their show performance was considerably longer than in 2007.

The number of quarters and periods, and the minutes in the quarters and periods have not changed in the NHL, NBA, NHL..... and baseball still goes nine innings..... and the puck, baseball, football, basketball ( except Women's basketball) are all the same in 2007 as they were in 1979. The instruments of " battle " used in 1979 DCI however bear little resemblance to that of 2007 used for competition. Again, it's just " different ", much more so than the changes that sports have undergone in the intervening 30 years. Sports have changed somewhat, but not the radical transformations, alterations, incantations, and permutations that DCI units have undergone in the last 30 years. And you are correct, the football analysts would be right if they were to say that there is really not that much difference between the game of football in 1979 and that of 2007 ( except for the overall speed and size of the players and a few other minor changes and whatnot, but nothing all that radical, really)

Edited by BRASSO

Ya know ? You are so right ! Would the average joe know "Crown Imperial" or "Channel one suite" from "pines of rome" or "Polovestian dances" ?? I mean..we can get on here and discuss nuances of "Scythian suite" for cripes sake !!!!!!!LOL ....We ALL keep forgetting thay we are firmly entrenched in this activity and this workd, we like it , we enjoy it....I hope that even though some of is dont find todays activity like it "used to be", there is still something to embrace.

Im betting there is or we wouldnt be here in the first place......Debate, to me, on this forum, is just another way of interacting with those that like what I like and keeping my joys of the activity alive......

G

Applause.gif

Applause.gif

a picture says a thousand words..... ( well,..... usually anyway )

I don't have have anything substantive to say in this thread, but for the record, Aquarius would have had a top of the scale familiarity factor for a 1979 audience.

True, and IIRC 1979 was the year the movie "Hair" finally came out.... For youse young folks, "Aquarius" was in "Hair".

And don't forget the "hummiblity factory". Folks may not have recognized Mangione or other music in the late 70s but there was a melody that could be followed even if you didn't know what the heck the song was. LOL, used to see people grabbing the program during the show to check song titles. Or to quote my mom (RIP) "I like that song.... what is it?"

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

You make a great point, but I think the differences are not as dramatic as you might think. I bet if you took a football analyst and made them wath 1979 and 2007 drum corps, he may not think there is as much difference as between 1979 and 2007 football.

Just remember, the more you are knowledgeable about something, the more diversity you can find in it.

True let's pretend we know nothing about Drum Corps and Hockey (picked cuz I'm a hockey fan).

What stands out (IMO) for both....

Hockey: 1) helmets now used 2) different goalie masks 3) more European players 4) Grant Fuhr ain't the only guy not 100% white 5) that #### shoot-out format

Drum Corps:

1) the pit 2) amps 3) drill looks different even if you can't put it into words 4) 3v and piston/rotor

Interesting point, anyone want to try football.... or even baseball (what the hades changed there?)

BRASSO, KStein, and GMichael are all correct. We keep using the term "recognizable" when we probably should be saying "melodic". I joined drum corps in 1979, and was enthralled by BAC's "Conquest", but I had never seen the original movie and therefore it WAS unrecognizable to me...it was just the balls!

And yeah, back in that era, I loved it when BD played Channel One Suite, or Spanish Fantasy or Pegasus. As a 19 old, I had no knowledge of Buddy Rich, Chick Corea, or Stan Kenton. This stuff just sounded great to me! One of my favorite all time shows continues to be SCV 87, yet I had never heard Russian Christmas Music until they played it.....AND, it is really a "dreaded" concert band piece, btw. :smile:

So, it really comes down to the arrangements, NOT the source material. I doubt that many teenagers (or old people like me) really are familiar with Spartacus, but it was the arrangement and performamnce of that which made that a fan favorite. The biggest high point for BAC this past year was the Bacchanale, not something you would hear on the radio.

I do think that MOST drum corps in the past two years have figured this out and are adjusting their programming accordingly. Of course, ego will still drive a few people to present "Obscure tone poems in B Flat presented in 18 snippets" kind of shows, but looking at 09 programming, they are becoming the minority. Thankfully.

Edited by craiga

So, it really comes down to the arrangements, NOT the source material. I doubt that many teenagers (or old people like me) really are familiar with Spartacus, but it was the arrangement and performamnce of that which made that a fan favorite. The biggest high point for BAC this past year was the Bacchanale, not something you would hear on the radio.

LOL, one of my favorite Senior shows from the 70s had music that I hated. But...... this corps was known for full bore brassy sound without losing tone quality (yes it was possible with P/R :smile: ). Flippin' opener was "I Got Rhythm" (puke) but the arrangement knocked you outta your socks.

And Russian Christmas was played by Crossmen in the late 70s. Again no idea what the name was but when the contras kicked in that first chord everyone payed attention. :smile:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

LOL, one of my favorite Senior shows from the 70s had music that I hated. But...... this corps was known for full bore brassy sound without losing tone quality (yes it was possible with P/R :smile: ). Flippin' opener was "I Got Rhythm" (puke) but the arrangement knocked you outta your socks.

And Russian Christmas was played by Crossmen in the late 70s. Again no idea what the name was but when the contras kicked in that first chord everyone payed attention. :smile:

AND with Spirit !!!

BRASSO, KStein, and GMichael are all correct. We keep using the term "recognizable" when we probably should be saying "melodic". I joined drum corps in 1979, and was enthralled by BAC's "Conquest", but I had never seen the original movie and therefore it WAS unrecognizable to me...it was just the balls!

And yeah, back in that era, I loved it when BD played Channel One Suite, or Spanish Fantasy or Pegasus. As a 19 old, I had no knowledge of Buddy Rich, Chick Corea, or Stan Kenton. This stuff just sounded great to me! One of my favorite all time shows continues to be SCV 87, yet I had never heard Russian Christmas Music until they played it.....AND, it is really a "dreaded" concert band piece, btw. :smile:

I do think that MOST drum corps in the past two years have figured this out and are adjusting their programming accordingly. Of course, ego will still drive a few people to present "Obscure tone poems in B Flat presented in 18 snippets" kind of shows, but looking at 09 programming, they are becoming the minority. Thankfully.

in regards to Spartacus,imo of course, if the audience never seen this movie but did see The Gladiator (as many have) I believe most would be able to follow the show and like it. I, for one, still has yet to see Spartacus, but since I did see Gladiator, it was new yet familiar to me and one hell of a show by Phantom!!! I def need to get hold of a copy of Sparticus. THANK YOU PHANTOM!!!