The Challenge

I guess my point is that the judges would not give the corps the numbers based on what type of equipment is used. Past stories I've heard through the years tell me the corps have to play the game to win. They may not fall out of finals due to the talent level being so high and the judges will credit that, but they would also not be at the top. That's why the activity to some is falling into a homogenized state.

OK, I see where you're coming from now. Thanks.

So you can play, but you can't win, no matter how well you play if you play on the "wrong" thing.

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd settle for a non-themed show without synthesizers.

I'm pretty close to your stance. I'm Ok with themed shows. I don't like anything non-acoustic. I like complete musical ideas. I don't like slash and chop arrangements. I don't lke leaving the best drumming in the lot. But mostly I don't like lying, like saying you don't have to have Bb brass, electronics, synths, etc., to compete, let alone win, when the opposite is the truth. And good luck to anyone without a pre-show in 2010.

Garry in Vegas

edit: added in pre-show

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I'm pretty close to your stance. I'm Ok with themed shows. I don't like anything non-acoustic. I like complete musical ideas. I don't like slash and chop arrangements. I don't lke leaving the best drumming in the lot. But mostly I don't like lying, like saying you don't have to have Bb brass, electronics, synths, etc., to compete, let alone win, when the opposite is the truth. And good luck to anyone without a pre-show in 2010.

Garry in Vegas

You can add pre-show to that list now.

You can add pre-show to that list now.

I was adding that in as you were posting. Great minds and all...

Garry in Vegas

I was adding that in as you were posting. Great minds and all...

Garry in Vegas

What I don't understand is why people here don't understand playing the game? Hell, I marched 20 years ago and what Cesario said stands today, "Whomever is perceived as moving the activity forward will be rewarded."

What I don't understand is why people here don't understand playing the game? Hell, I marched 20 years ago and what Cesario said stands today, "Whomever is perceived as moving the activity forward will be rewarded."

So Yamaha will be the next champion, after they launch their new product line and DCI enacts a rule to accommodate, promote it

Face it folks, DCI is really just a shill for marching band, one of the reasons they want it to look more like marching band and just imagine if you happen to run a marching band circuit, oh joy…the cross promotion possibilities are endless. So you want G bugles back, talk to Yamaha first.

If the Cadets use Yamaha and the Podunk Cornholes want to be like the Cadets, they too will use Yamaha, order the same uniforms, and learn of the Cadets shows. Voila, the Carbon Copy Cadets, now with wood winds

Drum corps is not about art, local community, taking the kids off the street or even education. Save it kids, most those life lessons are learned at that age, in or outside of corps and the musical education you’re getting is rater limited, glad you mastered 13 minutes of chop and bop, hope that jazz run lands you a big job.

Yep, money talks, it starts as a vendor whispers in the ears of the big boy corps, proposals are pushed, deals are made, judges instructed how to judge and let the profits roll. I doubt the powers that be in DC were smart enough to cut a good deal with their vendors and are getting far less than they should ( Oily Echo Dome anyone?) but hey, why look a free horn in the mouth, right?

(there was a corps in 2005 that jumped up a few spots after they brought in amps, just saying...)

So you want G bugles back, talk to Yamaha first.

Oh, my friend Cowtown. Did you miss the part where Yamaha championed the rule change to any key back in 99 because they didn't make G bugles?

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Oh, my friend Cowtown. Did you miss the part where Yamaha championed the rule change to any key back in 99 because they didn't make G bugles?

Garry in Vegas

we are on the same page, I agree

I just expressed myself poorly and caused a misunderstanding…

Let me clear that up

Lobby Yamaha first to make G bugles if you want to see them back in DCI; they have the most control of the activity, they own many of the directors

I’m intrigued by this project blue thing though; don’t know enough about it but 2 things strike me about it *holds comments till later)

Lacks any real discussion, though you get bonus points for the attempt at a picture being worth a thousand words. Maybe you should use this approach next time you write a pro-DCI article.

Garry in Vegas

wow. VKG lives!

Good points, thanks.

And I think stealth would be important. Don't tell anyone about the throwback, though the mylar would be a dead giveaway. But I'm not sure there's a brass judge out there that could pick out a G bugle on sight...unless it only had two valves! This would have to be 3V bugles to pull it off.

Though, now that I think of it. the real challenege to the judges would be to let them in on it and see if they can judge it on the merits, and not on what it's played on.

Garry in Vegas

a serious question....

didn't Star come out on mylar heads in 92 and kick a lot of drum ###?