DCI Direct, part dos

Interesting second installment of DCI Direct on DCP here.

It provides insights into why DCI opted for the multi-year deal with Indy. And so you don't wear out your eyes before you tax your ears this summer, it doesn't address the sound at LOS in this edition.

I'm not going to try characterize or summarize (not yet, anyway). I did find interesting some of the details behind the financial advantage for DCI.

HH

Edited by glory

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I congratulate Bob Jacobs on providing an accurate, well-written, informative, and necessary description of staging a major championship event. A multi-year Indy agreement was a wise move for our activity. It might well have preserved this activity as we know it.

Good read !

Interesting. I knew some of the "hidden" costs associated with championships week, but it's startling to see just how expensive (and problematic) the logistics of the event can get.

I also agree with Bob - the touring model as it exists right now is only going to get harder and harder. I'm not sure how corps / DCI is going to adapt to it, but changes are a-coming in the next few years, I feel.

Mike

Interesting second installment of DCI Direct on DCP here.

It provides insights into why DCI opted for the multi-year deal with Indy. And so you don't wear out your eyes before you tax your ears this summer, it doesn't address the sound at LOS in this edition.

I'm not going to try characterize or summarize (not yet, anyway). I did find interesting some of the details behind the financial advantage for DCI.

HH

Great article. It's nice to see that brought out in the open. It's very easy to lose sight of ALL the requirements for hosting DCI Championships, and it's great to have a city that not only can benefit DCI, but is willing/excited to become a part of our world.

I understand all he said about the financials, and they make sense...........

but, if fans stay so dissatisfied with the championship venue, then what? then all the $$$ stop flowing in to Indy as well as DCI.

with every perk comes a steep downside.

that's what worries me. the Dome could in the long run do as much damage as rain

I understand all he said about the financials, and they make sense...........

but, if fans stay so dissatisfied with the championship venue, then what? then all the $$$ stop flowing in to Indy as well as DCI.

with every perk comes a steep downside.

that's what worries me. the Dome could in the long run do as much damage as rain

Yeah, that's definitely a gamble that DCI is making: that the possible financial issues caused by attendance drop off from finals in a dome will be offset by new fans replacing unhappy legacy fans and the other financial benefits (mentioned in the article). From what I understand DCI could have backed out after 2009 (it's first Championship event in LOS) but obviously didn't.

It does seem ironic that everything about Championships is a huge benefit for all, with the possible exception of the actual listening experience of fans. We won't truly know how big of an impact this will have on DCI for several more years (will the numbers drop, increase, stabilize). I imagine if the numbers stabilize it will financially work out to DCI's advantage. If attendance sees a sharp drop, it might be trouble. But this article obviously doesn't go into financial details, so we're all guessing. It's possible this deal is like NBC and the 10:00 Jay Lenno show: it was so cheap to produce, that even horrible ratings technically kept the show profitable. Obviously that deal went bad, but more because the local affiliates didn't really want Leno in the first place. But I'd bet there's a threshold of attendance numbers that DCI can hit and still be in good financial shape. The truth is, though, we don't know what those numbers are.

Yeah, that's definitely a gamble that DCI is making: that the possible financial issues caused by attendance drop off from finals in a dome will be offset by new fans replacing unhappy legacy fans and the other financial benefits (mentioned in the article). From what I understand DCI could have backed out after 2009 (it's first Championship event in LOS) but obviously didn't.

It does seem ironic that everything about Championships is a huge benefit for all, with the possible exception of the actual listening experience of fans. We won't truly know how big of an impact this will have on DCI for several more years (will the numbers drop, increase, stabilize). I imagine if the numbers stabilize it will financially work out to DCI's advantage. If attendance sees a sharp drop, it might be trouble. But this article obviously doesn't go into financial details, so we're all guessing. It's possible this deal is like NBC and the 10:00 Jay Lenno show: it was so cheap to produce, that even horrible ratings technically kept the show profitable. Obviously that deal went bad, but more because the local affiliates didn't really want Leno in the first place. But I'd bet there's a threshold of attendance numbers that DCI can hit and still be in good financial shape. The truth is, though, we don't know what those numbers are.

my fear is this...we're in a recession. $125 ticket prices to sit on the 20 is a crime even in a good economy. If the attendance does drop, will ticket prices go up again? Then you risk pricing more people out....and i bet they got after regionals first for price bumps....and eventually you risk pricing people out there too.

I totally support finding a host city from a financial POV. I'd prefer a rotating set of them. But...if attendance does drop, that also affects the eateries, hotels tourist spots ( well what Indy has for them)...at what point do the numbers drop far enough to irritate the host city?

I'm sure giving all that LA has going for it, DCI didnt create that much extra revenue. I'm sure it helps a place like Madison or Buffalo and especially Indy.

but at some point, if people get tired of Indy and stop going, they'll be hurting...the city and DCI. And if they jack up regional prices too much they'll be affected too.

the line DCI walks here is scary fine....and at this time, given many other decisions, I'm not sure they know how to stay on the right side of it.

this is where DCI needs real business people, not corps directors to be involved.