DCI Direct, part dos

If Indy is so bad, stop supporting the championships. Make plans for San Antonio, Atlanta, and Allentown instead.

what makes Indy so bad is the dome so I'm not going to replace one dome for another dome - I'll just take a pass

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Special Events Committee – assists with the production of media and other special events surrounding and in support of the World Championships.

were they the ones that threw that lame bar party last year?

If so, I'd ditch it or get new leadership

what specials event did they run?

If Indy is so bad, stop supporting the championships. Make plans for San Antonio, Atlanta, and Allentown instead.

2 out of 3 are domes....

Right. As Bob Jacobs suggested, 30 years ago, you had HS and even JHS band directors, some with corps ties, who were happy to sign off on corps housing there and rehearsing for one or two nights. Now, they don't have the authority in most districts, and if they even suggest it, the district superintendent is going to start bemoaning why the district is assuming insurance liability and risking higher insurance rates, paying the costs of housing for kids who don't live there, paying for clean-up or damage, fielding complaints from neighbors, and so on. So some school districts say, "No more," and others start to say, "We're going to charge a not-insigificant-fee to help 'defray' our costs (= balance our deficit budget) for this." Pretty soon, being housed 60 miles away from the show site sounds close-in.

Corps themselves have to get more creative in looking for housing. Just as bingo is no longer the one-stop shop for corps financing, neither are high schools the only place you can hold camps or find housing. Blue Stars has found a fabulous sight for its winter camps that never has conflicts with basketball games, band camps, debate meets, etc. It has food prep facilities, great sleeping facilities for staff and volunteers, showers, and tons of room for rehearsals. AND it is not a school. No fighting with the administration, school board, athletic director, or the locals.

http://www.bluestars.org/membership/schedule.php

Fan Experience Committee – worked behind-the-scenes with hotel concierges and property general managers, as well as restaurant owners and other merchants to bring them up to speed on the unique needs and wants of DCI’s passionate fan base.

That was a massive failure then

several restaurants in walking distance to the stadium were not aware of it, did not staff for it and could not handle it - I had to eat at the bar at Maggianos because they could not honor my dinner reservation

I spent a bit of time on Wednesday explaining to Rock Bottom how the week would go because they needed some help on it

Even the Weber Grill, right under the DCI office blew it

Based on continuing trends, the shrinking pool of “housing sites” as we’ve come to know them could pose a severe threat to the drum corps touring model. The continuing expansion of year-round schooling will further impact the pool of available locations. Developing a long-term partnership with a city like Indianapolis is a very strategic – and very necessary – component in preserving an integral part of the drum corps ecosystem.

So how did Indy get around that?

Did the city council pass a law that would keep the schools open for Drum Corps only during final weeks?

Are DCI kids now more a priority than the Indy school kids?

Losing the ability to stay at schools altogether would radically alter the touring model, and could create an insurmountable financial obstacle for the corps and for DCI. Even packing four corps- or staff members to a room in an economy motel, could quickly rack up $3,000 per night in housing expenses which would total several million dollars for all of the corps over the course of one season, assuming that there was an ample supply of such rooms within a reasonable proximity to the performance sites. Of course, hotel rooms solve the sleeping and showering challenges for corps members but not the rehearsal issue, which then sets off another set of challenges pertaining to the sleep requirements and off-duty hours of bus and truck drivers and moving the corps members from a theoretical hotel to suitable practice fields somewhere nearby.

nice fear mongering, I approve

this may be my favorite bit

I started to change my position on both topics as I learned that "Hoosier Hospitality" was, actually, more than a sales pitch and that the obvious buzz of pride among the residents and business owners about their fair city was genuine. Despite my skepticism, it was apparent that the Indianapolis “sales team” had done their homework, and had come to the table with much to offer, prepared to prove their desire to be committed partners who were in it for the long haul

I've lived next to the Hoosier-State for over 40 years and I have never heard them use Hospitality or any such qualifiers to describe themselves – usually they pride themselves on the quite, understated stoicism which, to outsiders can seem cold and distant - there is a thread on it somewhere around here

Hey bob, I got this bridge in Brooklyn, you interested? For you only and for today only, real good price my friend

Edited by cowtown

Dear Cowtown,

Seeing as you lob poorly intended grenades at the DCI rep and obliquely refer to yourself as an "industry expert", how about some transparency dude?

We know who wrote the article you attmept to pick apart and from where he stands.

Who the hell are you? What's the basis for your sniping?

Come on bud, if you can't sell the bridge, you can always jump off it. (metaphorically speaking, of course)

this my be my favorite bit

he learned the meaning of Hoosier Hospitality through the sales team for Indy

I've lived next to the Hoosier-State for over 40 years and I have never heard them use Hospitality or any such qualifiers to describe themselves – usually they pride themselves on the quite, understated stoicism which to outsiders can seem cold and distant

Hey bob, I got this bridge in Brooklyn, you interested? For you only and for today only, real good price my friend

Bob Jacobs is doing a great Job by writing this article. I like it.