DCI on Blu-Ray

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am afraid the past years of shows would no benefit greatly on Blu ray because the masters are in such horrible shape. (I own the entire legacy series). I just do not think there is enough resolution in those masters to really benefit from an HD upgrade. 480i/p even when cleaned up and granted with better compression is still not going to reveal very much more than what you currently see on DVD.

Sound will definately benefit, and if creatively done, the extra bandwidth will allow the inclusion of a great deal more commentary tracks, such as judges comments and multiple camera options.

Perhaps after they went digital when shooting championships, things could see a small improvement, but I doubt it. However, if they start shooting using 1080i cameras, a Blu ray release would be a must have for me as long as the audio contained a lossless option like Dts HD Master audio, Dolby TrueHD, or even PCM 5.1 at 24/48kHz

didn't they start shooting in HD in 09???? i thought I read that on dci.org and they were making a big deal out of it??

Would it really matter? At the end of the day if something isn't recoreded via a high def camera initially it will never really be high def will it? I got my daughter the re-release of Snow White on Blue Ray, might as well have been watching it on a VCR.

Oy vey. Snow White was "recorded" on FILM, which still is capable of higher resolution than any current high def format. A full HD restoration from an original film negative will most definitely benefit from blu-ray release. Some of the great recent restorations from 35mm and 70mm films ("2001 A Space Odyssey" comes to mind) expose the limits of blu-ray, not vice-versa. And even though drumcorps isn't recorded with film, I'd be surprised if DCI wasn't using HD cameras by now... even for home camcorders, HD is becoming commonplace.

didn't they start shooting in HD in 09???? i thought I read that on dci.org and they were making a big deal out of it??

I think you are right, but they didn't mention at what resolution they would be shooting in. It has to be either 720p or 1080i, in which 1080i would probably look better for this activity.

I think you are right, but they didn't mention at what resolution they would be shooting in. It has to be either 720p or 1080i, in which 1080i would probably look better for this activity.

Why not 1080p? Don't mean to come off as such a HD moron, just not that familiar with the technology behind it and how it works.

Why not 1080p? Don't mean to come off as such a HD moron, just not that familiar with the technology behind it and how it works.

Broadcast specification do not cover 1080p, only 720p and 1080i. Also 1080p cameras are still quite expensive to rent, quite a bit more than 720p or 1080i cameras which are widely used for HD image capture.

It could be done, it would just have to be downrezzed to 720p, or interlaced to 1080i for broadcast. If you are going to shoot in HD, you have to make sure what you capture can have its costs leveraged over a wide variety of viewing sources. (i.e broadcast, DVD, Blu ray, or all three)

Are you serious, or are you just spouting hyperbole?! If you can't see the difference between the Snow White blu-ray and DVD (let alone VHS), then you wasted money on your blu-ray player and HD TV.

Obviously a movie being shot in HD will fully benefit from a Blu-ray release, but with the proper remastering ANY film is massively improved being converted to HD/Blu-ray, sometimes almost to a fault: see the Wizard of Oz Blu-ray, where the picture is so sharp and crisp that you can clearly see make-up lines, painted backdrops, etc. But similar things happened when Laser Discs were released, when filmmakers digitally remastered their films. If you can find the original Star Wars releases on laser disc, they look incredible: but you can CLEARLY see the matt lines on model props, and other "inadequacies" became glaring with the increase in picture.

I think where DCI would really benefit with HD would be in sound, though picture would obviously be an improvement as well. But as others have said in this and other threads before, it would be too expensive to master and reproduce for blu-ray players, and would probably not be worth DCI's resources. I agree with someone else who said that it would be worth it to charge more money for an "extras" loaded DVD, ala the original special features that used to come on the DVD's (commentaries and judge tapes).

The BluRay reprint of Snow White is spectacular. You could tell there was a huge amount of love put into every single frame. Same with Sleeping Beauty.

Anyhoo, DCI Blurays would be fantastic. HD in the theater was excellent.

Compared to what?

720p.

The difference between 720p and 1080p is just barely evident on a 37" screen at 6 feet viewing distance. You need to be sitting really close to a big screen to appreciate any difference between the two.

But, for viewing an HDTV at a reasonable distance compared to the size of the screen, 720p is more than adequate. Again, IMO.