Star of Indiana 1991

1991 Star,

We did a lot of breathing in the horn arch or circle, but the single most effective technique we used on the field was........AGAIN!!!!!

ABB

Did you ever have that followed by, "Water is for sissies. Move faster!" (Two of my personal favorites from the staff in earlier years.)

:thumbup:

Cheers!

Karen

Fran: You are too kind.

Sam: Pines of Rome looked a little like this:

Pines_M1_Blur.jpg

See you at CNY!!!

Looks like percussion music... is that a flam drag and some egg beaters I see on page 3? :thumbup:

Some of the judging at finals that year was a crock of crap. There's no way Star should not have won brass out right and there's no way they should have been 3rd in visual. That show simply blew the rest of the field away - they deserved more than a 97.0 and they deserved to win by much more than .7!

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like percussion music... is that a flam drag and some egg beaters I see on page 3? :lookaround:

My favorite subject - Star!

I don't know why nobody has mentioned this about 1991:

33 Shows - 2 second place (1 to the Cavies and 1 to Madison)

all the rest 1st.

First time in my life I ever saw a "modern" Drum Corps merge music and fieldmanship to such a degree of cohesiveness as to leave me drooling show after show.

Ottorino Respighi - 'nuff said!

And if nobody else noticed, they just got better and better every show!

Yeah, they had their swerve on that night, by then they'd deserved it.

I wasn't until the '93 show that I would ever see and hear anything better.

Barber & Bartok - can't beat that -

(and they gave that show to the Cadets) :blink:

Sorry for the editorial.

Puppet

My favorite subject - Star!

I don't know why nobody has mentioned this about 1991:

33 Shows - 2 second place (1 to the Cavies and 1 to Madison)

all the rest 1st.

First time in my life I ever saw a "modern" Drum Corps merge music and fieldmanship to such a degree of cohesiveness as to leave me drooling show after show.

Ottorino Respighi - 'nuff said!

And if nobody else noticed, they just got better and better every show!

Yeah, they had their swerve on that night, by then they'd deserved it.

I wasn't until the '93 show that I would ever see and hear anything better.

Barber & Bartok - can't beat that -

(and they gave that show to the Cadets) :blink:

Sorry for the editorial.

Puppet

I dont remember the loss to Cavies, but the loss to the Scouts no one who marched will ever forget. Our Fearless Leader, Bobby (Que) Hullett, kicked all the tempos up 10 to 15 bpm. Imagine playing that music at around 230 BPM. Needless to say Bobby finished the show a little ahead of the corps that night.

Love ya Bobby,

Alden

To maybe help answer the question about how the mellos helped to build stamina and play that book....

We never stood still in warmup... Barry Hudson was the mello tech along with lead hornline tech and from when we left for tour until finals we never stood still. We did circle drill to most everything so we were really most comfortable playing on the move versus playing standing still. I am sure that helped with the endurance.

But as has also been previously stated.... we heard "Again" a WHOLE lot!!

It was a fun book to play!

• Like 1

Some of the judging at finals that year was a crock of crap. There's no way Star should not have won brass out right and there's no way they should have been 3rd in visual. That show simply blew the rest of the field away - they deserved more than a 97.0 and they deserved to win by much more than .7!

Elliot, my Brother.....1991 Blue Devils brass was arguably the best to ever hit the field.......

G

Elliot, my Brother.....1991 Blue Devils brass was arguably the best to ever hit the field.......

G

Yeah, as much as I love Star 91 and think the hornline was one of the best ever, I don't think it was any better than BD's that year. 2 of the best brass lines and best brass books ever.