Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

I'll gladly bet you $100 no corps will "look into the past" because the perception is that they must always be "pushing forward"

and not only that, I think the preshow is getting too much attention and it affects the actual parts of the show that counts. either lengthen the time of the show, or cut out the insanity, because eventually, some teams ( and yes i know you can legislate stupidity, if so DCI and Congress would have been in trouble many times)will end making preshow so out of control the actual judged part will suck.

or be like we saw a few cases of last year

If the preshow ends up being better than the actual show... lol... then I think we are on to something!

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the preshow ends up being better than the actual show... lol... then I think we are on to something!

well in 2 cases of non finalists last year...it was. make that 3

Think about the actual POTENTIAL of an “anything goes” and “non-judged” Preshow!!!!!!!

I think this is what makes the rule incredibly awesome! What if a designer wants to experiment with something he thinks is fantastic? (Whether it follows DCI current rules or not) Where can he "present" it in a way that it won't be judged, where he can take incredible risk, and try something creative? IN THE PRESHOW.

So if a corps wants to open with a small jazz ensemble with string bass, drum set, vibes, and a saxophone, it can! If the DCI community acts very negatively to the concept then it’s likely that corps won't do it again. But if people actually find it interesting and are "okay" with it then... what's the harm? The bottom line is that no one knows if something works or not until you actually try it.

But the Preshow can also be a chance to "bring back" all those aspects of drum corps that you older guys miss. I'm at a loss for a good example but what if a corps used the 5 minutes to go "old school drum corps" (if it somehow related to their show concept/ maybe a show idea based on the evolution of drum corps?) Maybe doing something like that would involve risk if it was during the ACTUAL show but since it’s in the preshow… well… “anything goes”. If the crowd really gets energized over this experiment then… we might see more of it in the future.

I mean, who gives a **** about woodwinds if you can think about all the other awesome stuff that drum corps can now dive into without worrying about score! All the risks they will now take musically and visually! The only thing the drum corps is performing for in the Preshow is simple Audience reaction! Its EXACTLY what most of you guys have been hoping for!

Think of the preshow as the experimental section of a corps show. You'll either hate what they do, love what they do, or be indifferent to it. But it’s a great opportunity for DCI to expand and grow in new ways that can attract new and old audience members. Who knows what Amazing/ Mind Blowing/ Creative things we will discover in the preshow that we wouldn't have otherwise...

I for one, am looking forward to the pre-shows more now than ever.

I could accept this premise If I thought that the show designer was " experimenting " with the instruments and the sound and to see if " the crowd gets energized " in the new presentation, and....." if there was negativity to the concept then it's likely the Corps won't do it again ".........

My thoughts would be that the show designer already knows what the sound and effect will be. There is no real, genuine " experimentation " at all. And since when did a show designer decide if something was going to be kept or not based upon an audience reponse ? This pre show " experimentation " is not to gauge the receptivity of the audiiences at all. The notion that if there is a lukewarm or negative vibe from the audiences with the pre show concept, or with instrumentation then it would be scrapped is naive.

No.... there is no genuine experimentation in the pre show concept that is designed to see how audiences react. It is a way for show designers to a) see if the sales pitches from equipment Mfg's are right or not and, who knows, maybe get a hefty Finders Fee if new equipment is eventually bought by Corps to use in shows 2 ) show the judges what the show designer has up his sleeve and/ or 3 ) slowly but surely ease into fruition their show style concepts they've had cooked up for several years now, and can't wait to put on the field for the judges to judge in a year or two.

Edited by BRASSO

But the new Preshow concept makes it more likely now than it ever was.

the only way is if someone is doing a history of drum corps show or an anniversary show, and even then, I doubt it'll happen

I'll gladly bet you $100 no corps will "look into the past" because the perception is that they must always be "pushing forward"

and not only that, I think the preshow is getting too much attention and it affects the actual parts of the show that counts. either lengthen the time of the show, or cut out the insanity, because eventually, some teams ( and yes i know you can legislate stupidity, if so DCI and Congress would have been in trouble many times)will end making preshow so out of control the actual judged part will suck.

or be like we saw a few cases of last year

If I'm not mistaken, BITD, the whole two gunshots thing meant that judging was over, and that was when some of the greatest moments in drum corps history happened. Think about it. The corps went nuts because they had no one to answer to but the crowd. Anything was allowed, but the time was generally used to blow people's faces off. I know Regiment wouldn't be the same without Elsa's, nor 2-7 without Danny Boy. Both things that happened in non-judged portions. So, I'm waiting to see what happens. Maybe we'll wind up with some sweet in-your-face fanfare moments.

If I'm not mistaken, BITD, the whole two gunshots thing meant that judging was over, and that was when some of the greatest moments in drum corps history happened. Think about it. The corps went nuts because they had no one to answer to but the crowd. Anything was allowed, but the time was generally used to blow people's faces off. I know Regiment wouldn't be the same without Elsa's, nor 2-7 without Danny Boy. Both things that happened in non-judged portions. So, I'm waiting to see what happens. Maybe we'll wind up with some sweet in-your-face fanfare moments.

close. GE kept going.

but think of it this way...BITD, just GE judged...shows ended with incredible stuff you listed before.

now all the stuff happens preshow.

like that makes sense?

This conversation has gone in circles for years. I think you believe that opening up options simply allows more options. If that were true, I'd still be against further change in DCI. However, I subscribe to the point of view (borne out by history) that opening up options results in all of them used by everyone. At that point the marching arts are completely homogenized, and there is no more plain vanilla ice cream for people who prefer that flavor.

Micced singing has been very sporadic and rare. Narration has not been used all that much.