Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

well, we'll agree to disagree about the press coverage.

and I have a hunch, when 2010 reps rolls out ( not just concepts) I bet we'll see more tired warhorses rolled out

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Increased variety in shows we see, for one...

I think we'd have more variety if drum corps remained different from marching band.

more varied musical arrangements as groups use different combinations of instruments.

But they wouldn't use different combinations of instruments. As we've seen over and over in DCI world-class, when an instrument class is added via rule change, it becomes a prerequisite for competitive success, and everyone in world-class ends up using it as a result.

Since IMO there would be another busload of members...more people get to march.

You can't have another busload of members....the maximum is 150, and most world-class corps are marching close to that number. If that is what you want, then change the rule to 200 members. We don't need woodwinds for that....there are already thousands of additional brass/percussion players cut at auditions.

But...my question to you is...why NOT? 'Why' is not really the question I would ask...'why not' is how I think.

That sounds like a toddler...."why NOT?". Drum corps is a demanding and expensive business, and major rule changes that introduce greater expenses need far more rigorous vetting and justification than "why not".

I think we'd have more variety if drum corps remained different from marching band.

No, we wouldn't. Drum corps is marching band; it's just missing a few options for instruments.

But they wouldn't use different combinations of instruments. As we've seen over and over in DCI world-class, when an instrument class is added via rule change, it becomes a prerequisite for competitive success, and everyone in world-class ends up using it as a result.

Untrue. Very few have used micced singing to date, for example.

If corps were free to use any instruments, there would be variety, as happens in MB now.

You can't have another busload of members....the maximum is 150, and most world-class corps are marching close to that number. If that is what you want, then change the rule to 200 members. We don't need woodwinds for that....there are already thousands of additional brass/percussion players cut at auditions.

Actually, I prefer no size limits. Whatever a corps wants to field is fine by me.

That sounds like a toddler...."why NOT?". Drum corps is a demanding and expensive business, and major rule changes that introduce greater expenses need far more rigorous vetting and justification than "why not".

Hardly. Remove the limits of today and no corps has to change one thing if that is their choice.

No, we wouldn't. Drum corps is marching band; it's just missing a few options for instruments.

Evdently, the difference between drum corps and marching band is significant enough to attract a fan base so much larger than marching band that it enables DCI to fund their nationwide tours.

Untrue. Very few have used micced singing to date, for example.

Singing is not an instrument class. My statement still stands.

it's just missing a few options for instruments.

Ergo, it's different and thus adds variety.

Hardly. Remove the limits of today and no corps has to change one thing if that is their choice.

If something's viewed to be beneficial for scoring, then it will be used without exception. And I don't want that. If it's not viewed as beneficial to scoring, then it won't be used and there would be little point in legalizing it.

Actually, I prefer no size limits. Whatever a corps wants to field is fine by me.

I respectfully disagree with this statement for one reason only: I believe if drum corps get much bigger in size it will limit their ability to clean effectively. Of course we'd ALL love to hear 120 member hornlines LOL.......but I can't see it being refined to the precision we all expect from our top 12.

I respectfully disagree with this statement for one reason only: I believe if drum corps get much bigger in size it will limit their ability to clean effectively. Of course we'd ALL love to hear 120 member hornlines LOL.......but I can't see it being refined to the precision we all expect from our top 12.

Well, that would be up to each corps to field whatever it wants. If they think they can clean the ensemble enough, than that would be their choice.

Ergo, it's different and thus adds variety.

There are comments after comments by people who say that every rule change becomes mandatory...hence no variety.

With no limits on what can be used, there is no need to adhere to one standard instrumentation. HS Bands today compete with all sorts of combinations.

If something's viewed to be beneficial for scoring, then it will be used without exception. And I don't want that. If it's not viewed as beneficial to scoring, then it won't be used and there would be little point in legalizing it.

Scoring is based on the performance, the show presented, and how the elements are used. One corps using a clarinet section might benefit if they do it well...another might not..just as with ANY element EVER used in drum corps.

I don't believe that you will still have a top twelve if all corps can march any number they want as there are only so many members available. You may have a top 8. Tell me that BD and Garfield march 200, where do you think those extra 50 are coming from? It is already evident in corps size with the recent shift to 150. The top 6-8 may have that number but the rest can't field a full corps anymore. Why?