Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

The key of G has nothing to do with bugles. The change from actual straight bugles to what we have today has happened pretty gradually; I don't think you can point to any one thing--except, maybe, adding a valve--as the point where they stopped being bugles in anything other than name only.

Bingoooo..... If you want to say that changing from G horns was a loss of tradition and point of pride for the activity, fine....go ahead. If you want to say Bb horns arent as loud, or lack the same sound, fine, go ahead. But the last time a DCI corps actually played on a real bugle was when...? never?

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow never thought this thread would last this long...but then again knowing DCP, I kinda expected it :devil:

What bugs me is how many people REALLY think the preshow rule will lead to woodwinds. I don't think I ever said what I voted when I started this but it was a no...honestly I just can't see corps staff in the ten years at least REALLY catching on to the idea of woodwinds. They (for the most part) like their brass :tongue:

EDIT: Then again, the only corps staff I've really met are Carolina Crown's and the Troopers' :sigh:

Edited by jedihunter80

Yet, oddly enough, 13 of the 15 top posters for today, and almost everyday, are the same people that have been on this site for at least 6 years (I'm normally one of them). Just checked the stats 5 minutes ago. I suppose someone on the moderating or website team could give us an actual number of people that log in (or dont, but read anyway) on a given day in the offseason, but I would be shocked if it was even 5% of the total people who are registered to this site. Additionally, as mentioned, the top posters are usually the same people day in and day out. Doesnt mean people dont read anyway, but dcp is hardly a place where thousands of drum corps fans come to discuss things on a daily basis.

You did not say "discuss". You said, "...possibly enlightening a few hundred people who read DCP?"

There are many, many people who do not post on DCP, but simply read the posts. Guests (remember them) are not able to post. Also, there are many people who just want to watch and listen to the DCP fireworks without actually getting burned by them! :tongue:

I get burned, quite often. But, my love for Drum and Bugle corps keeps me coming back for more! Many people do not have such "thick skin" or thick skulls! Maybe it's because they are not as "hard-headed" as I am!

On a Mission,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

You did not say "discuss". You said, "...possibly enlightening a few hundred people who read DCP?"

There are many, many people who do not post on DCP, but simply read the posts. Guests (remember them) are not able to post. Also, there are many people who just want to watch and listen to the DCP fireworks without actually getting burned by them! :tongue:

I get burned, quite often. But, my love for Drum and Bugle corps keeps me coming back for more! Many people do not have such "thick skin" or thick skulls! Maybe it's because they are ...........? (fill in the blank)

Wondering,

Ron Gunn

Actually, i did not say any of that, as I was not the person whom you quoted. Additionally, I pointed out the fact that many people read without logging in. Still, even with them, I doubt that looking at the member number of the recently joined folks is a good way to gauge regular activity.

I never read about it, and I didnt have the fan network. I thought the show was pretty simple, on one level, and I got it just fine. Maybe I didnt understand the deeper meaning but thats fine. I was being a 'lazy fan' last year and just enjoying things as they were, rather than following everything behind the scenes, but that choice was mine to make, as it is for every other fan.

i tried the lazy fan approach, but after viewing some of the shows on FN, i felt I had to research...my logic alert was going off. and to be honest, researching made it murkier. I tried to just sit back and enjoy the tunes, but it never happened

A few hundred people? DCP reaches far more than just a "few hundred" people?

People from all walks of life and from many countries too! I have seen posters from the USA, Canada, Europe, Japan, and even the Philippines on DCP Forum pages! We all have one thing in common....a passion for DRUM CORPS!

Take a quick look at one of your own posts. To the left, you will see "member number". That is the number that was assigned to you when you joined DCP.

From time to time, notice the member number of the poster, and you will get a better idea of how many people read DCP!

Just my way of saying, "Welcome to the DCP family!"

Just an old fart,

Ron Gunn

member number is not a true indication and here's why:

many more people read but never sign up for an account

I get burned, quite often. But, my love for Drum and Bugle corps keeps me coming back for more! Many people do not have such "thick skin" or thick skulls! Maybe it's because they are not as "hard-headed" as I am!

On a Mission,

Ron Gunn

I was the quoted individual, and admittedly there is no way to definitively determine the number of people who "read DCP". But how likely are the Guests or more casual readers to read a gigantic thread like this one, that is largely bloated with quarrelling over how "DCI has/will become marching band" and other such nonsense? Do you really think thousands of people are reading this thinking "Oh my! Drum corps is band now! Woodwinds are inevitable! How could DCI let this happen? I think I'll pen a letter to my local corps director and let them know how I feel about all of this! Except it says here that there are no local corps! Good thing I have (select posters on) DCP to feed me misinformation and negatively skew my viewpoint of the activity!" That was my point.

Also, for readers looking to learn something about the activity or gauge popular opinion, the signal to noise ratio is about 1:1,000 in a thread like this. This also weakens the potential influence and productivity of these online discussions. Obviously I still think they're worthwhile because I participate in them, but you get the point (hopefully).

I was the quoted individual, and admittedly there is no way to definitively determine the number of people who "read DCP". But how likely are the Guests or more casual readers to read a gigantic thread like this one, that is largely bloated with quarrelling over how "DCI has/will become marching band" and other such nonsense? Do you really think thousands of people are reading this thinking "Oh my! Drum corps is band now! Woodwinds are inevitable! How could DCI let this happen? I think I'll pen a letter to my local corps director and let them know how I feel about all of this! Except it says here that there are no local corps! Good thing I have (select posters on) DCP to feed me misinformation and negatively skew my viewpoint of the activity!" That was my point.

Also, for readers looking to learn something about the activity or gauge popular opinion, the signal to noise ratio is about 1:1,000 in a thread like this. This also weakens the potential influence and productivity of these online discussions. Obviously I still think they're worthwhile because I participate in them, but you get the point (hopefully).

"The signal to noise ratio is about 1: 1,000" comment was instructive. I 'm learning more and more about electronics each day and I'm quite confident that I'll be up to speed on my electronics soon enough that'll prepare me for whatever the future brings in DCI. And I thank you for that.

"The signal to noise ratio is about 1: 1,000" comment was instructive. I 'm learning more and more about electronics each day and I'm quite confident that I'll be up to speed on my electronics soon enough that'll prepare me for whatever the future brings in DCI. And I thank you for that.

Who knows, maybe one day a corps will let you run the sound board from the press box :tongue:

Who knows, maybe one day a corps will let you run the sound board from the press box :tongue:

I could see the value of the fans having the benefit of a sounding board up in the Judges press box. I'm not so sure that has widespread support among DCI though. But it's a creative thought, nonetheless.

Edited by BRASSO