Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

Because Its' NOT MARCHING BAND. Oh Sorry. Too simple My bad. :tongue:

Ya know after this poll dies down I'm going to start one asking how many people think DCI will just evolve into professional marching band, how many people would support that idea, etc. I have a feeling it will be a blood bath.

And for the record, I support drum corps staying drum corps.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes because:

1. powerful brass does not equal a good score by itself.

2. woodwinds can set a different mood that brass might not accomplish... i.e. saxophone for a jazz show.

3. many corps do not pay for their instruments, I will bet my car that Yamaha would jump on the opportunity to give the Cadets a line of saxophones.

4. allowing woodwinds = more educational opportunities for a wider range of people.

5. a much much larger market.

Even though it would be changing the activity, the "benefits" out weigh the "its not drum corp" argument.

for the record, I say keep drum corp traditional.

Ya know after this poll dies down I'm going to start one asking how many people think DCI will just evolve into professional marching band, how many people would support that idea, etc. I have a feeling it will be a blood bath.

And for the record, I support drum corps staying drum corps.

I've said on here MANY MANY Times before that if someone were to start up say MBI and leave DCI alone I might even go to both. I say DCI stays DCI and if there are folks who want MBI FORM MBI !!! Oh sorry once again I refer to my original post about simplicity :tongue:

Didn't read any posts before this, so don't flame me.

If any woodwind gets introduced to DCI then count me out. Drum corps is known very well for having all brass instruments, no woodwinds. It's a whole other sound and marching style. Please go to marching band if you want to play woodwinds.

I voted "unclear at this point" because, well, I don't have a crystal ball. My personal desire is a big, fat NO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE NO. I don't want high level marching band, I want BRASS and percussion. I honestly do not like marching band shows, even really, really good ones. I'm sorry! I just don't! I absolutely LOVE a great wind ensemble with woodwinds... INDOORS. But on a field there is no real balance of sound, I don't care how you try to help it along with a microphone and an amp. It just sounds BAD BAD BAD on a field, even when it's one of the best in the business of marching band.

I know it's politically incorrect to say it, but I say it anyway: woodwinds are not worth the trouble, DCI. Please hear me and the many others who feel the same way! I am not a dinosaur who is worried about some purity test for the activity. I simply want to be able to enjoy every level of this activity as an all brass marching ensemble. Period!

I've said on here MANY MANY Times before that if someone were to start up say MBI and leave DCI alone I might even go to both. I say DCI stays DCI and if there are folks who want MBI FORM MBI !!! Oh sorry once again I refer to my original post about simplicity :tongue:

Glad to see somebody else has had this thought :tongue: Maybe a few of us from the Drum Corps realm should start MBI in order to preserve our activity...

Follow up to my last post:

Better yet, lets get Hopkins in on this, tell him to get an MBI going. Then DCI will be free of Hopkins and the woodwind kids will get their chance, problem solved!!!!

Didn't read any posts before this, so don't flame me.

If any woodwind gets introduced to DCI then count me out. Drum corps is known very well for having all brass instruments, no woodwinds. It's a whole other sound and marching style. Please go to marching band if you want to play woodwinds.

Out of curiosity, if your favorite World Class corps uses woodwinds during their pre-show in 2010, will you automatically tune them out/walk away? Or do you only care about what happens in competition?

I'm REALLY curious to not only see what corps have the guts to do this season during the no-holds-barred pre-show (will corps "play it safe" and stick to only programming aspects from their competition production, will corps go "all out" with woodwinds or other instruments/things that are illegal in competition), but also how fans react to it. Also, will DCI show ushers let people come and go during the five minutes corps are setting up, or if, say, Crown has a woodwind choir accompanying a string chamber orchestra playing to a laser light show for five minutes before show time will the ushers not let people leave their seats to come back?

Follow up to my last post:

Better yet, lets get Hopkins in on this, tell him to get an MBI going. Then DCI will be free of Hopkins and the woodwind kids will get their chance, problem solved!!!!

I remember reading in DCW in the mid-90's (maybe even early 90's) that Hopkins has commented about the possibility of Cadets leaving DCI to do their own thing, but even after Star of Indiana and Blue Devils paved the way and proved there were other viable opportunities outside of the DCI arena, the Cadets have stayed the course in DCI.

Personally, I think every artistic medium needs a group or too who are a bit "out there" and continually pushing the activity. While I don't always like Cadets shows (sometimes I love them, and sometimes I really don't like them), I like what they bring to the activity.

That being said, who would yall complain about without Hopkins or the Cadets? Who else would be the scapegoat for everything we don't like about the activity?! :tongue: