Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

You're welcome. Would you like me to post my links on urban exploring since we are on the subject of decay ? :smile:

As long as it's not Keith Urban and that sort of decay you'll be exploring, I'm in.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes because:

1. powerful brass does not equal a good score by itself.

2. woodwinds can set a different mood that brass might not accomplish... i.e. saxophone for a jazz show.

3. many corps do not pay for their instruments, I will bet my car that Yamaha would jump on the opportunity to give the Cadets a line of saxophones.

4. allowing woodwinds = more educational opportunities for a wider range of people.

5. a much much larger market.

Even though it would be changing the activity, the "benefits" out weigh the "its not drum corp" argument.

for the record, I say keep drum corp traditional.

Keep drum corps drum corps. Why not next force all corps to be co-ed? Get rid of the age restriction. Use farm animals in the color guard and use giant lcd tvs as backdrops for the show. (I am sure that someone is thinking about this as a possibility).

Again, it's not about "dumping" on anybody....it's about learning from mistakes. Can't do that without first admitting there was a mistake. Taking the "glass half-full" view is fine, but not to the extreme of denying the other half of the glass exists.

Except you are using the word "mistake", which IMO is just not true.

Those eight division I corps announced to the world in September of 2003 that they would cease participation in DCM shows. It was a premeditated move, made with no regard to the details of either DCI or DCM show scheduling or appearance fees yet to be determined for 2004. You know full well how things transpired....please don't rub more salt in those wounds.

You are the one talking about boycotts and pullouts, not me.

OK so people have been expressing their fears about the new Pre-Show rules passed at the "Janual" meeting eventually leading to woodwinds becoming a part of the corps proper.

Here is the rationale: if woodwinds are brought into play for the 5 minute "anything goes" pre-show, corps directors in the future will say "Hey we already use them for the first part, let's just use them for the whole show" and finally create the dreaded rule allowing woodwinds to march.

My question is this: do you think that corps directors who have been raised on pure brass and drums like the rest of us would really allow drum corps to start including woodwinds in the future?

Let's hear the opinions roll.

The Cadets current Director was raised on " base drum", and it was no impediment for him to make recommendations on a whole host of things not "pure brass and drums like the rest of us were rasised on ". So " yes" it is not only possible but probable that radical transformations can come from surprising ( to some ) Drum Corps backgrounds.

So I'm with the majority here that voted " yes" on this poll here that the pre show rule can provide the opportunity to move woodwinds onto the field of competition via the pre show route. Just like the introduction of the woodwinds into the I& E DCI competition realm just a few short years ago, was a very creative and clever way to slide woodwinds into DCI competition for useage in the first place.

Edited by BRASSO

to paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi, that all depends on your point of view

Except you are using the word "mistake", which IMO is just not true.

to paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi, that all depends on your point of view

Of course, he used that line after he was dead, and to cover up a lie he had told to a kid who wasnt ready to hear the truth.... :smile:

Of course, he used that line after he was dead, and to cover up a lie he had told to a kid who wasnt ready to hear the truth.... :smile:

oh the ways I could take tgis and tie it into DCI :smile:

PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!