Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why would we want woodwinds when we would weewee, wouldn't we ? ( say that fast 3 times)

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, my March issue of "Drum Corps World" arrived today. On page 10, in a continuation of a page 1 story on the new rule change, the following exact quote appeared:

"But Hopkins is fine with that. In fact, he's planning to submit another proposal to make woodwinds legal in the near future. "I'll probably present again to use other instruments," he said. "I'm still a strong believer that really our salvation as an activity is probably to align, as best we can, with the band movement."

And, for the record, the only two corps to vote against this were the Madison Scouts and Boston Crusaders. DCA is looking better all the time.

FWIW, my March issue of "Drum Corps World" arrived today. On page 10, in a continuation of a page 1 story on the new rule change, the following exact quote appeared:

"But Hopkins is fine with that. In fact, he's planning to submit another proposal to make woodwinds legal in the near future. "I'll probably present again to use other instruments," he said. "I'm still a strong believer that really our salvation as an activity is probably to align, as best we can, with the band movement."

And, for the record, the only two corps to vote against this were the Madison Scouts and Boston Crusaders. DCA is looking better all the time.

But we' re being told this Week here on DCP" how expensive the maintenance costs for woodwinds are ".

Maybe so. And maybe nobody's told the majority of the DCI Corps Directors of this fact, that's all. Once they learn how expensive the repair costs can be with the woodwinds, we can trust that they'll vote woodwinds useage down.

Madison Scouts + Boston Crusaders = 150 YEARS of drum corps experience......hmm, maybe they have a broader prospective than the other 18 corps??........

But we' re being told this Week here on DCP" how expensive the maintenance costs for woodwinds are ".

Maybe so. And maybe nobody's told the majority of the DCI Corps Directors of this fact, that's all. Once they learn how expensive the repair costs can be with the woodwinds, we can trust that they'll vote woodwinds useage down.

As someone who does a fair amount of repair work, as long as the member does their minor adjustments and keeps their screws intact, woodwind repairs are not as time comsuming as brass ( for the most part )

And considering that ....say a clarinet line is all using the same brand and model, most parts are interchangable so a lower section can be worked on and a different piece put in it's place.

Considering the age and skill level of MBI ...ummmm DCI members, I'm sure most of them would know how to make their own adjustments, spring replacements and cork replacements. It's not like trying to take dents out of valves and lap them.

The ONLY time I have a problem working on woodwinds is when a student has not checked their instrument daily for loose screws and a whole section comes apart.

But please don't get me wrong, woodwinds belong indoors protected from the weather and don't belong on a football field at all. :tongue:

Drum Corps International should have only 2 divisions to make everyone happy: Band Corps and Drum & Bugle corps

If I were King, it would be so ordered

As someone who does a fair amount of repair work, as long as the member does their minor adjustments and keeps their screws intact, woodwind repairs are not as time comsuming as brass ( for the most part )

And considering that ....say a clarinet line is all using the same brand and model, most parts are interchangable so a lower section can be worked on and a different piece put in it's place.

Considering the age and skill level of MBI ...ummmm DCI members, I'm sure most of them would know how to make their own adjustments, spring replacements and cork replacements. It's not like trying to take dents out of valves and lap them.

The ONLY time I have a problem working on woodwinds is when a student has not checked their instrument daily for loose screws and a whole section comes apart.

But please don't get me wrong, woodwinds belong indoors protected from the weather and don't belong on a football field at all. :tongue:

Drum Corps International should have only 2 divisions to make everyone happy: Band Corps and Drum & Bugle corps

If I were King, it would be so ordered

I could forgive Tiger Woods before I could forgive DCI for Woodwinds.

Both will get in big trouble for having sax where they shouldn't.

Edited by BRASSO

well remember, when amps passed, it was said that these guys/gals were experts on them and how to use them and make it work. then 2 months later we have 2 name directors admitting that they didn't know anything about them.

Madison Scouts + Boston Crusaders = 150 YEARS of drum corps experience......hmm, maybe they have a broader prospective than the other 18 corps??........

"18 Corps" is sad enough. When you think of the hundreds of junior corps and now it has come to this... heartbreaking.... The activity is all but ruined and the final nail in the coffin will be the woodwinds and they're a comin.

I could forgive Tiger Woods before I could forgive DCI for Woodwinds.

Both will get in big trouble for having sax where they shouldn't.

GOOD GOD!!! I wonder who will get the first DCI "reed" endorsement deal....

well remember, when amps passed, it was said that these guys/gals were experts on them and how to use them and make it work. then 2 months later we have 2 name directors admitting that they didn't know anything about them.

I see no problem with this. Corps Directors can be very adept at putting things on the field where judges and fans are totally confused by the Directors, Staff's confusion. Thus, in my opinion, confusion is no obstacle at all for putting confusion on the field.

Plus, we have learned this month that DCI is encouraging judges to meet with the Corps Designers before the season starts so that the Corps Show Designers can try and explain what it is they will be attempting to convey on the field of competition this year. The hope is that it will lesson the degree of confusion on the part of judges with the Corps shows, themes, music, messge, etc. This is good news for judges. As for the paying fans ? You're on your own, and DCI wishes you good luck this year as you try and figure out the theme, message, music, etc.

Edited by BRASSO