Pirated finals videos

I'm listening to Asphalt Cocktail so I'm in the perfect mood to bring up something that has stuck in my craw since Finals night.

But first, does anyone remember how the seats in the Can are numbered? Sitting in a section do the seat numbers increase from right to left or left to right?

Now, Finals night. I've got my 10 year old with me and we're settling in for the show. I'm getting situated. I happen to turn around and see a guy standing two rows back, right behind me, yakking with his friends. Just then I happened to notice that he's got a nice, small, obviously digital Sony Handycam in his hand. I actually stared at it for a moment, almost in disbelief, to make sure it was a video camera. There was no doubt in my mind.

I looked up at him and he wasn't paying any attention to me or my evil, glaring stare. In that two-tenths of a second I knew I should confront him sternly about it, then second-guessed myself ("What if he says, 'Yes, I'm going to record the whole show."), then I turned and sat down. I fumed about it for a few minutes and almost got up and in his face but, ultimately, I decided to shut up, enjoy the show, and not make a scene about it. I even considered getting a stadium staff member but there were none in sight.

I've never forgotten my 50-year-old wussiness (I don't typically back down easily) and have since regretted not saying something.

So, should I have?

What would you have done?

What WILL you do?

Personally I say let the officials do their jobs, and what they're paid for. The guy if I was near him as in he was near an aisle way and I was walking by I would tell him to put it up unless he's just trying to get a quick shot of his kid at one point in the show, fine with me there. If he's recording and he hasnt put it away then I would "accidently" stumble into him knocking the camera around wildly. Anyways if he's in the middle of a row in no close proximity to me ill mind my own buisness, and let the DCI guys do their job.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gladly.

<<They aren't making any money off of it. Nobody is going to opt out of buying the DVD's because they happened across some crappy bootleg from the 32nd row. Do they really hurt anyone? No.>>

Whether or not they are making money off of it. IT IS ILLEGAL!!! PERIOD. It's right on their ticket that they are agreeing to NOT do such a thing.

Does it hurt anyone? YES. It hurts the corps who are the one who get most of the proceeds of the recordings. The bulk of those proceeds doesn't go to the DCI office, it sure as heck doesn't go to me, and it doesn't even go to Tom Blair. IT GOES TO THE CORPS! Tell me that isn't hurting the corps. You can't. Again, period.

Sounds like it might be time for some people to take an ethics class. Or, if you are in your studies, to perhaps bring certain things up for class discussion.

And just because others might be doing it does not make it right.

And just because something is illegal doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong. Let's not confuse ethics, morality, and the law.

Ha; that would be awesome! I mean, jumping in front of the camera might annoy the snot out of the recorder, but it's not like he can complain too much for you ruining his illegal recording.

Once time when I was teaching a Div. 3 corps, I was in the stands watching the World Class corps (it was a small show and no one cared if staff/members filled out the concert side of the stadium) and noticed someone directly behind us recording. I loudly starting talking to people around me, and the guy recording the show started complaining to me in between corps. I looked at him dumbfounded, asked him to clarify that he wanted me to be quieter so he could illegally record the show. I politely told him that he was more than welcome to take it up with ushers/management and if by chance he wasn't removed from the premises for bootlegging the show I would stop. Or, if he stopped recording I would stop talking. He stopped recording.

I would of been much more angry with you for talking so loudly during performances than I would of been at the guy recording.

Are personal recordings "illegal" or just "against the rules"? I think the worst that would happen is that you get ejected from the event. Now if you attempt to sell the recordings, then you're clearly breaking copyright laws.

Is it against the rules? Yes

Is it unethical? Probably

Is it wrong? Depends on your moral compass

Can anyone stop it? Nope, iPhones and dSLRs take great video now

Is it illegal? For personal use, I'm not sure.

Honestly, I think that far more revenue is lost by people copying DVDs for their friends and other members than by people taking video from their seats. The best way to combat it is by providing a higher quality product at a reasonable price.

As far as the people that want to enforce the rules on their own treat it like when you would see someone speeding. Report it and let those handle it whose job it is to do so. Nobody appointed you deputy dog.

Video/audio recordings for personal use are legal. They do not require any sort of license. Simply because DCI prohibits it does not make it illegal, though as you said, it can get you ejected from the event. What is illegal is distributing or selling those copyrighted recordings.

And I agree, the best way to combat it is to provide a better or comparable product for a reasonable price.

Geez, dude, I worked my ### off so I wouldn't have to live in the ghetto. Why would I care about lasting two seconds there, let alone 10? I live in the rich suburbs, where we don't tolerate rule-breakers.
And where kids can afford to participate in drum corps, and parents can plan an entire vacation around going to Indianapolis to pay $125 plus for tickets and exorbiant prices for the "official" DVD, and souveniers AND DCI fan network and the various other money making entities.....

One could argue that if something is illegal, then it has been defined to be wrong.

Do I really need to start the list of things that have been deemed "illegal" in history that have come to be legalized as humanity gradually comes to its collective senses?

Something can be deemed illegal or immoral and become law by the actions of a very small group of people. Something being a law or rule doesn't inherently imply moral truth or social equity.

Edited by BozzlyB