Reverse the Rules

Because the subsequent rule changes made it better. Just as marching timpani were better than no timpani, grounding the pit was better than lugging them around. Thanks for helping make my point.

So with this logic,... any instrumentation useage that was not a good idea and not beneficial to the activity, is still a good idea and beneficial to the activity because it scrapped the bad indea and instituted a new idea. Thus, with this logic " ALL changes have been beneficial to the activity" ( as you said ) In essence, everything you yourself have personally seen on the field of competition has been good and beneficial to the activity instrumentation wise.

Did I get your logic and point right ?

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years back, I was the Pit Steward at a small racetrack in Wyoming. A bunch of race car driver "wanna be's" said they wanted to "Run Whatcha Brung" ( essentially, no rules ) We said, "Sure, go ahead."

They were thrilled, until they realized they had no spectators. NONE !

So, yeah....those who think there should be NO LIMITS in drum corps, when the fan base dwindles to zero.....

I personally don't want to push all rules back to x year and set it in stone. What I do want is two very simple rules that help define what Drum and Bugle Corps is.

1. All sounds generated on the field are acoustic.

2. Instrumentation is limited to bell-front valved brass and percussion.

Now you can feel free to sing, dance, play Bb, narrate... go nuts! Find creative ways to make your ideas come to life and reach the ears of the audience and judges.

Second this....

G-Horns, Pit grounded, whole corps with ticks. No electronics. Let the flying fairies do what they may.(the guard that is, I don't mean that in any way to be anti gay, I mean that they look like faries flying about. Just to be PC.). I can never make out what they do anyway. Let them choose between traditional and now. See what happens.

Edited by Jimisback

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had a few years ago with a Chief Judge.

I posed the question: What would happen to a corps that went out and did a 1970's style show, that was near perfect across the board, in execution, and just packed with great General Effect?

Essentially, his reply was: Oh, the judges would crucify them. Judges don't want to see anything that resembles old time drum corps. Because it's a build-up point system, they would just not give them enough points, regardless of how great the show was. Bottom line...If it's not Artsy-fartsy, with a bunch of prancing and dancing, doesn't matter HOW GOOD it is. It CAN"T WIN !

G-Horns, Pit grounded, whole corps with ticks. No electronics. Let the flying fairies do what they may.(the guard that is, I don't mean that in any way to be anti gay, I mean that they look like faries flying about. Just to be PC.). I can never make out what they do anyway. Let them choose between traditional and now. See what happens.

I draw the line at " whole Corps with ticks ".

But all change is beneficial and they can always get the bugs out later. So just do it.

Edited by BRASSO

Because the subsequent rule changes made it better. Just as marching timpani were better than no timpani, grounding the pit was better than lugging them around. Thanks for helping make my point.

Or, was it because there were not a great number of bands beating down the door to purchase marching timps, it was decided to let corps move towards a grounded pits with hopes of band directors thinking " well, what the heck, lets use the concert equipment outdoors"? Thus, as the old flimsy frames would fall apart, new frames could be sold to band directors everywhere, making someone, somewhere, money.

Follow the money

( $1 to VKG )

I personally don't want to push all rules back to x year and set it in stone. What I do want is two very simple rules that help define what Drum and Bugle Corps is.

1. All sounds generated on the field are acoustic.

2. Instrumentation is limited to bell-front valved brass and percussion.

Now you can feel free to sing, dance, play Bb, narrate... go nuts! Find creative ways to make your ideas come to life and reach the ears of the audience and judges.

So would they be bugles in Bb?

So with this logic,... any instrumentation useage that was not a good idea and not beneficial to the activity, is still a good idea and beneficial to the activity because it scrapped the bad indea and instituted a new idea. Thus, with this logic " ALL changes have been beneficial to the activity" ( as you said ) In essence, everything you yourself have personally seen on the field of competition has been good and beneficial to the activity instrumentation wise.

Did I get your logic and point right ?

If I read that properly...yes. Another example....valves were gradually legalized over time. First there were none..than one...then a slip slide...rotor...2-valve added slowly by voice, then 3-valves...then multi-key. Each change was good for drum corps.

If I read that properly...yes. Another example....valves were gradually legalized over time. First there were none..than one...then a slip slide...rotor...2-valve added slowly by voice, then 3-valves...then multi-key. Each change was good for drum corps.

and out dated equipment used forcing groups to buy another set of horns if they wanted to keep up for the Jones'

God Bless the corps thats got their own