1986 Garfield

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't they have some horm members who moved between hornline and guard during the show? Particularly with the larger props?

What was the size of the 1986 Garfield hornline? I remember folks telling me that it changed over the course of the summer. I do remember hearing that it was the largest hornline in dci up to that date.

Can anybody elaborate if or why it did change?

That was the year they had about 80 horns and that little 12 member color guard. I recall that theories abounded at the time: trouble with guard recruiting? an artistic decision? had to clean house because of attiude problems in the guard? Of course there were no YEA website, DCI.org, DCP or HopBlog at the time, so folks got most of their information (or misinformation, as the case may be) through the rumor mill, by word of mouth.

The corps was a little lumpy that year, especially when compared to the '83-4-5 threepeat teams. But they sure came back stronger than ever in '87, didn't they?

regards,

Fred O.

That was the year they had about 80 horns and that little 12 member color guard. I recall that theories abounded at the time: trouble with guard recruiting? an artistic decision? had to clean house because of attiude problems in the guard? Of course there were no YEA website, DCI.org, DCP or HopBlog at the time, so folks got most of their information (or misinformation, as the case may be) through the rumor mill, by word of mouth.

Artistic decision....

from a previous thread here

Answers: There were 84 horns (28 sopranos, 18 mellos, 26 baritones/euphoniums, 12 contras).

The guard members were actually guard people. All were supposed to play but I think only a few of them really did. During first half of the tour, twelve of the sopranos spun flag in the opener and there were 5 or six horns that were flags at the end of the show. Unfortunately that got changed to what you saw on the video. The original concept was to have 128 "cadets" that were interchangeable as musicians or visual people. Unfortunately, the staff failed to think through the necessary learning curve to make that work at a "top 5" level of competence.

I know the Hoppy bashers will be shocked to know this, but my understanding was that the large hornline/small guard was Michael Cesario's debacle.

The contra was played with a soprano mouthpiece by none other than Jeff Sacktig, Cadets's current drill designer.

As for how the guard felt, they were not happy about it. It was a tough season for them. The boxing ring things were brutal. Was guard shortage an issue? Not really. There were a lot of ageouts in '85, so it was the "ideal" time to try such a thing. But there were enough girls that returned in '87 from the '85 guard and earlier seasons to have fielded a guard that was 50% vets.

i always kinda liked that show

Me too....and I thought the boxing ring things were pretty cool