• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the middle of it as well, and I really do love it. That being said, you really have to be careful with it though. There are a lot of high impact moves and different variations that haven't been exactly friendly on my drum corps knees. All in all I do think it would benefit people to do it (I mean realistically nothing is going to prepare you 100% for spring-training, but every little bit of preparation is going to help).

P90X?

:rolleyes:

I can't really justify spending money to buy a workout regimen when I can just go to the gym myself, do a variety of workouts, and still get in shape. Is the person doing P90X going to be better prepared than a person like me going into everydays? Maybe slightly. Thing is, most of the weight I lose over the summer is muscle, not fat. So beyond getting your body to look good for the ladies, off-season workouts are only beneficial insofar as they help you reach a certain minimum level of physical performance you'll improve upon in the summer.

But yeah, I have no desire to spend money on working out. I have a free gym membership. Why spend anything?

The only thing that has intrigued me slightly is CrossFit, but those people are crazy, and I'm not ready for that intense of a workout. Besides, just reading the comments on the Workout of the Day posts on CrossFit, half those people are getting wear-and-tear injuries from beating their bodies up so much every day. I don't have time to go to the gym seven days a week, nor do I want to wear my body down that much.

disclaimer: I am not really familiar with the P90X

I dunno if getting "ripped" is the best preparation for a drum corps season... I would think the best strategy is to improve cardio and hold your instrument. Being able to run a few miles is a lot more beneficial than having a 6 pack, IMO.

I suggest all college students go from class to class marching at 180bpm instead of walking to prepare for summer.

Edited by soccerguy315

disclaimer: I am not really familiar with the P90X

I dunno if getting "ripped" is the best preparation for a drum corps season... I would think the best strategy is to improve cardio and hold your instrument. Being able to run a few miles is a lot more beneficial than having a 6 pack, IMO.

I suggest all college students go from class to class marching at 180bpm instead of walking to prepare for summer.

I am really glad you put the disclaimer before your post. The workout is not just about getting ripped (it will get you that way), but it is about muscle conditioning, building your core, and increasing endurance - all things you need to have in modern drum corps. As a runner, running alone does not help you very much when drum corps requires you run and play, or spin. Running does not help you build your core muscles, nor does it condition anything but your legs.