@ niniron

if you want to be fit and strong and well rounded then Crossfit is the way to go. If you want to build a little more muscle in addition to those other attributes then checkout www.crossfitfootball.com

@hiyaboy

I have an olympic barbell, set of plates and pair of rings at home and I can acomplish 90% of the Crossfit workouts

Hearing all the support for both program Crossfit and P90X is a great thing. They both believe in intensity, muscle confusion and a good deal of body weight movements so I think they have hit on a winning formula. After this season I will pick up P90X to make a direct comparison for myself. Now I can't wait for drum corps to be over so I can dive into it :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've finished the first month of p90x and even though I haven't done an outstanding job of sticking to the routine, I noticed at the Star Alumni camp we had this past weekend I had ZERO problems holding my baritone. Aside from a couple of knots in my back, I'm not even sore. I remember hollering m'arms m'arms when we were preparing for our 2004 Alumni Reunion performances not to mention the absolutely terrible time I had trying to hold up my euph at the first few camps when I was actually marching. My primary problem back in the day was keeping muscle mass throughout the summer. I remember seeing my muscles get smaller because I was just burning way too many calories. Needless to say, there was always a period of time in July when I would start to struggle to carry the horn again. I wish I had done something like p90x in the preseason to get some mass and strength BEFORE the summer started so that I could completely "own" my horn carriage and not just "get by."

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to say that this weekend I found out that Plyometrics is going to be a very regular workout regimen for the Bluecoats this year. I'm excited and dreading it all at the same time :tongue:

Im in the middle of a workout program called P90X that some of you may have heard about. I wish I had known about this before I aged out! To anyone else who has gone through P90X, do you agree that this would be a good training program for before you head off to everydays?

I was thinking about this the other day! Aside from the host being kind of a strange dude, I totally agree that it be awesome for DCI.

Mike Gough

Troop 2001-2004

http://www.hellbentforvictory.com

Edited by michaeldgough

Please note these negative reviews on Amazon.com before purchasing the program. While the opinion is fairly unanimous that the program is excellent for those who can handle it, you won't want to purchase it from a certain vendor who is well-known for sending out a general lack of documentation and a plethora of DVDs that are defective.

Also, check out this link for info on some of the vendors of the program selling pirated copies of the DVDs, and how that could be dangerous for you and others.

Edited by Michael Boo

I am starting it BUT I am way too old for DCI! My coach is Jason Scheff, bass/lead singer with CHICAGO! Great stuff!

Im in the middle of a workout program called P90X that some of you may have heard about. I wish I had known about this before I aged out! To anyone else who has gone through P90X, do you agree that this would be a good training program for before you head off to everydays?

If you are really motivated to get fit, PX90 is great. It will give you (some)strength, muscle endurance, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility and with the diet you'll lose weight and get the mid section your looking for.

If your a couch potato/ computer cheese puff, don't even bother buying the DVD's.

I'm combining the PX90 yoga, plyometrics and stretch with my own weight lifting and MMA training to get tour ready.( cooking and selling souvies are hard work)

PX90 will help but, it won't:

-Teach you to reapply your sunscreen every 30 mins

-Stay hydrated ( 4-8 oz. per 15mins of exertion)

-March your dot backwards with perfect form

-Keep your horn at the right angle

- spin your flag in unison

- diminish the fear factor as you pass through the guard at 220bpm playing fff

- cure jock-itch

- help you hit that high note

-ETC...

Edited by boxingfred

I am just now starting the Insanity program after completing P90X. It is made by the same company as P90X, and is great so far. No equipment at all is required. Focuses are on core, and cardio! Two great things for drum corps! Can't wait to see how I feel during the summer after going through these two programs.