If You Had to Choose...

Which Would You Rather  

178 members have voted

1. 1. I would rather...

• Let Drum Corps die than let woodwinds in
    • Have Drum Corps continue, losing some traditions and adding woodwinds, but still exist.

Drum & BUGLE corps is already dead so why not let woodwinds in to DCI ?

:smile::smile:

"Drum Corps Is Dead":

Bump. :smile:

Elphaba

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I would hate to see woodwinds added to the mix, I am shocked that the majority of voters (as of this time) would be so selfish as to say they would prefer drum corps to die rather than add in woodwinds. Nice to know that your hurt feelings about changes in drum corps are more important than the thousands of kids who would be denied the experience due to your selfishness.

You don't get the point. Drum corps would BE dead, it would then be nothing more than another band circuit. What is the ONLY thing keeping drum corps form being band?????

You don't get the point. Drum corps would BE dead, it would then be nothing more than another band circuit. What is the ONLY thing keeping drum corps form being band?????

It's already " Band "

Guitars, singers, amplified bass systems, solo dancers, etc...... these are routinely found in the realm of what is conventially known as musical " Bands ". Even many marching members of DCI units of today refer to what they do in the summer now as " Marching Band ".

I would hope that people from both mediums can respect what each are..... and once were. I actually enjoy many of these DCI Summer Bands now too.

As this musical genre has been transformed in a major, major way, so too has it's terminology now evolved into the more correct terminology of what these units in conventionally understood ways have now become ( at least for many of us anyway ). It's " Band ". Accept it, and just move on. Viva la Difference between the Old... and the New too.

Edited by BRASSO

I would let it exist because, as someone previously pointed out, if Woodwinds are

allowed, most Corps will probably ditch them or reduce them after a year or two because

of how much of a pain and expense they will be to maintain.

i doubt it

I still say just make the ONE "CHANGE" that has been needed for some time now. (Woodwinds are just the newest reason to do so.)

"Band Corps International" ----- solves the problem now, and for whatever "Changes" of the future. You tell people WHAT you are (Band) and get to keep your Historicly correct CORPS. This leave you OPEN to do almost anything change wise you like. Without loosing the Sight, Sound, and Quality, of what you have.

BUT<> PLEASE, please, please. Take "Drum and Bugle Corps" off the bus', trucks and what not. They may have been at one time. BUT they are NOT now.

(don't give me the "Brand Name Change" thing. can you say "Brinks" - "Broadview". So it is done.) The Quality and the Talent of the units should be able to keep everything the same as thy have now. Stand Up, and be PROUD, of your NEW product.

But just as ALL major sports have gone through "Changes" None have almost completely "Changed" what they are. They do not use Baseballs in Ice Hockey. No Major Sport has added a NEW position. Still 9 positions in Baseball - still 5 spots in Basketbal, still 11 in American Football etc. (DCI - added Pit for one example) Opera has NOT added Electric Gitars. CD's are NOT 33 rpm Records. Ice Box / Refridgerator (although I must admitt I still say "Ice Box). Rodeo does not use Elephants, Camels, or Dolphins.

i doubt it

Which cost more to use, maintain, store, and transport on a summer tour : 20 Tubas ?,.. or 10 Saxophones and 10 Flutes ?

Edited by BRASSO

Change "drum corps" to "DCI" in the poll options, and I'd go with "Have DCI continue, losing some traditions and adding woodwinds, but still exist."

My reasoning is that it wouldn't be drum corps any more, it would simply be "dci corps." And even if I don't want to watch it, I'd rather have it stay alive for people who do like it than die.

Which cost more to use, maintain, store, and transport on a summer tour : 20 Tubas ?,.. or 10 Saxophones and 10 Flutes ?

cost matters not Man. When they make a change, they all stick to it and use it, regardless of cost

Saxophones and flutes would cost a lot more than people think to maintain over the course of a few months being used outside every day during that time. I'm not sure that the extra money it costs to transport tubas over woodwinds would be, in total, more expensive than dealing with pads and reeds.