If You Had to Choose...

Which Would You Rather  

178 members have voted

1. 1. I would rather...

• Let Drum Corps die than let woodwinds in
    • Have Drum Corps continue, losing some traditions and adding woodwinds, but still exist.

Hardly. More kids march and compete today than in any era. The changes made are what have gotten marching/music to that point. With no DCI type of organization IMO there would be NO summer junior activity left, and maybe DCA would be gone by now as well.

And the experiences are so alike.....

Especially for the bands that don't compete....

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you, I disagree with his premise of 'go start your own circuit', as its not that simple, nor does it make any sense. However, the notion that the corps experience would 'die' with woodwinds is pretty foolish.

That depends on two things:

1. How you define the "corps experience"

2. Whether you believe the DCI touring model would remain financially viable in the aftermath of that change

It would change, and even then only slightly. You may not like it as much, hell, I know I wouldnt, but it would still be alive. One day, when the Cadets march saxophones (yeah, sorry for the image but we know its coming), Hopkins isnt going to wake up the next morning and say "you know what??...I think we'll sleep till noon today, go visit a waterpark, have a nice relaxed rehearsal for 45 minutes, charter a plane to get us to the next show site, get some steak for dinner, skip out on the show, go bar hopping, and then bed down for the night in a hotel."

Oh, I'm sure the "touring summer marching band experience" would have some of the same components as the touring drum corps experience....and any other touring competitive youth group experience. However, the end product would not be the same....it's effect on the audience would not be the same....the audience itself would not be the same.

If you're debating the definition of the experience, then you're grasping at straws. You know it, I know it. We all know what is meant by the "drum corps experience" and it's not found in high school band.

If you're debating the definition of the experience, then you're grasping at straws. You know it, I know it. We all know what is meant by the "drum corps experience" and it's not found in high school band.

But... it's not the instrumentation that makes Drum Corps unique.... it's the experience. :smile: At least that's what bunch of people posted during the Bb, amps, electronics, etc, debates.

Personally I don't have a ####### clue what is the "Drum Corps experience" because it's been different things for difference people. My experience was starting with a corps that had been inactive so we got our heads kicked in for a few seasons until we became more experienced (can't think of a better word). So much for "shooting for perfection" and "being in the elite ranks" as part of that experience. Now my DC experience is entertaining people at parades and standstills.

Edit: Also joined a Senior corps (at age 16) so kiss that "touring is part of the experience" crap goodbye.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Personally I don't have a ####### clue what is the "Drum Corps experience" because it's been different things for difference people.

Yeah....i can dig that

Sorry, but I think the straw is in your hand. If drum corps is defined only or even primarily by the instruments carried, that's a pretty thin reed on which to sustain this activity. It has to be more than that. Because if it isn't, then why not carry bagpipes instead of brass? Why not fifes? Drum corps has to be about more than tubing, valves and embouchure. It has to be about the process and to some extent the product. If it's not, it's as ordinary as ... yes ... marching band where it will be defined in the public mind by its most obvious, not its most excellent, characteristics.

HH

Because if it isn't, then why not carry bagpipes instead of brass? Why not fifes?

Don't give anybody any ideas..... :smile:

Drum corps has to be about more than tubing, valves and embouchure.

With the rule changes over the past few years it looks like the "horns and drums" unique blend (aka tubing, valve, embrouchure) mean nothing.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

No, we don't "all know" (nor agree, apparently) on what the "drum corps experience" is. Been there, debated that. But more importantly....

I wasn't referring so much to HS band, either, but rather, summer marching band. There have been a wide assortment of marching bands offering a competitive summer activity over the past 60 years or more. Some were linked to schools, while others were independent groups like drum corps. Some have formed competitive circuits. Some have achieved excellence. Some have toured. They developed in parallel with the drum corps activity on local, regional and national levels.

Were you aware of this?

Tax-subsidized music programs are the reason more kids march today than in any era.

And here I was thinking it was because of the joy that marching and playing music provides. But I'm learning more and more each day.

Follow the money.

Edited by BRASSO