What year is your cutoff for watching and listening to DCI

Lance

watching and listening to dci  

56 members have voted

1. 1. With rare exception, I don't watch DCI shows from before...

2. 2. With rare exception, I don't listen to DCI shows from before...

3. 3. Which ice cream do you prefer?

• Vanilla
    • Chocolate
    • Strawberry
    • Neopolitan
    • I am lactose intolerant
    • Harken!

Entertainment is also relative: the intrinsic "entertainment" value that can be derived from a corps that attempts to pretty up a weak musical effort with faux depth in its design and/or concept is about the same amount derived as someone who claps their hands along with "In The Stone".

Esp. clapping on 1 and 3!

As to the intent of my original post - Different does not mean bad, it's just different. If you'll just leave it at that, everyone will be much happier.

Ever heard one of the Mozart Horn Concertos played on a valve-less horn as it was written for? The changes in timbre and pitch problems with the hand-stopping? Can you really make an over-arching value judgement that Hermann Bauman's recording's are worthless because of the equipment he is using? You may not like it, but I may accecpt it as I have a different backgroud or understanding. I played the Mozart 4th on a recital on a garden hose to once prove the point! Again, it's different, not bad.

You are completely allowed to have your opinion. Just remember, I'm completely alowed to have mine also.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ashamed that so many years aren't even in your Poll! Some very good shows back in the '80s that revolutionized drum corps today! True, the drills didn't have the velocity that corps do today, but hey, it had to start from somewhere and I think the '80s really pushed DCI into the right direction. Don't be so quick to dismiss shows that started what is today.

I don't have a cutoff I dont think...I enjoy many shows from the 70s, and stuff from the 60s just for nostalgia's sake

Same for me, but in order to vote for chocolate I had to pick "85. don't understand the reasoning behind that. Should've had a "No Cutoff" button.

Buddy

No, the forum software only gives you up to 25 choices in a poll.

The Software Engineers that put this software together never figured that they'd be a site out there that would want a poll with more than 25 choices ? What were they thinking ?

Well, i just watched a show from the 70's, so i guess i cant vote. Speaking of....does anyone else have the problem on fan network where it jsut stops in the middle of the show, (usually several times). Its kind of getting annoying....

I'm tempted to say that I have no cut-off date, but the vast majority of shows I listen to come from 1980 and afterward. While I love shows from 70s, I simply don't watch/listen to them as often as their successors. 1980, by the way, was 18 years before I started following drum corps, in case anyone is interested.

As for ice cream, anything made by Graeter's. Those other "premium" brands are rank impostors when compared to Graeter's. Also Breyer's, at least before they started tampering with their ingredients list.

Well, i just watched a show from the 70's, so i guess i cant vote. Speaking of....does anyone else have the problem on fan network where it jsut stops in the middle of the show, (usually several times). Its kind of getting annoying....

Yes. I get this all the time when it's INT.

It's ashamed that so many years aren't even in your Poll! Some very good shows back in the '80s that revolutionized drum corps today! True, the drills didn't have the velocity that corps do today, but hey, it had to start from somewhere and I think the '80s really pushed DCI into the right direction. Don't be so quick to dismiss shows that started what is today.

Sorry

Gotta' clap on two and four. Pecan pie is good--I like a very chilly banana cream pie or better yet, a warm peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream.

Does anyone still make a good chocolate Napoleon? Nestle's new crisp wafer candy bar is the best thing they've come out with. And all this after 1985.