What year is your cutoff for watching and listening to DCI

Lance

watching and listening to dci  

56 members have voted

1. 1. With rare exception, I don't watch DCI shows from before...

2. 2. With rare exception, I don't listen to DCI shows from before...

3. 3. Which ice cream do you prefer?

• Vanilla
    • Chocolate
    • Strawberry
    • Neopolitan
    • I am lactose intolerant
    • Harken!

With rare exception do I watch or listen to any of the pre 90's stuff, and even little of that too. I don't have nostalgic ears, so ya......

Oh, and

mintchip.jpg

Bannana mint cho chip ? Or do you like to eat fruits alone ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can we assume that anyone that "cut off watching and listening to DCI " is no longer here?

That would be my assumption anyway, but maybe that's just me.

They may not be here, but they may be in the alternate drum corps dimension...where the horn lines transitioned from B-flat instruments to G bugles a few years back.

Don't blame me...I'm just rolling with how weird this thread became.

And my favorite is butter pecan, except on days when I have to park on the other side so the street sweepers can do their thing.

This whole topic is kind of like saying "I don't listen to Bach and Mozart because they are old/dead/dress funny/etc.".

By setting such artifical limits, you will miss a huge amount of very enjoyable listening.

Yes, some "older" drum corps is difficult to listen to. Just remember that a lot of things (recording technology, instrument construction, rules, concepts) change over time and things will be different. When I listen to recordings from the "old days" (even back when I marched), I wouldn't want some of those sounds for the horn line I teach now. But, I'll tell you, it was pretty amazing BITD what some groups were able to pull off given the limits of what they had to work with. I know how hard we had to work to play Kentons "Fanfare for the New" in 79 on two valve G bugles. Then I go back and listen to 75 Argonne Rebels play it on old P/R bugles. I'm impressed and almost can't see how they did it.

There was also a huge amount of energy in some of those old recordings that many times is missing in "modern" performances.

As for me, I'll listen to it if I like it, and for no other reason. Listen for enjoyment first and foremost and you'll have a much greater experience.

Edited by Steve Knob

This whole topic is kind of like saying "I don't listen to Bach and Mozart because they are old/dead/dress funny/etc.".

By setting such artifical limits, you will miss a huge amount of very enjoyable listening.

Yes, some "older" drum corps is difficult to listen to. Just remember that a lot of things (recording technology, instrument construction, rules, concepts) change over time and things will be different. When I listen to recordings from the "old days" (even back when I marched), I wouldn't want some of those sounds for the horn line I teach now. But, I'll tell you, it was pretty amazing BITD what some groups were able to pull off given the limits of what they had to work with. I know how hard we had to work to play Kentons "Fanfare for the New" in 79 on two valve G bugles. Then I go back and listen to 75 Argonne Rebels play it on old P/R bugles. I'm impressed and almost can't see how they did it.

There was also a huge amount of energy in some of those old recordings that many times is missing in "modern" performances.

As for me, I'll listen to it if I like it, and for no other reason. Listen for enjoyment first and foremost and you'll have a much greater experience.

No, I don't listen to/watch a great majority of older drum corps because it either sounds horrid, is boring, or both. I've taken the time to not only go back and watch the "important" performances of the past, but as many as I can. I haven't seen them all, but while I can be entertained by most every corps in the top 12 during the 2000's, I can't say that about the 90's and before.

It's not recording technology, rules, etc. It's that the activity has changed. Bad sounds aren't allowed any more and shows actually have some entertainment value more then fast and loud.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can we assume that anyone that " cut off watching and listening to DCI " is no longer here ?

That would be my assumption anyway, but maybe that's just me.

Don't watch or listen anymore but really no opportunity anyway. But still follow DCI news on the boards because I'm interested in what's going on and still care about the members. Also believe all forms of Drum Corps (DCI/DCA/Mini/Alumni-type/whatever) need to be healthy for the activity to survive.

It's that the activity has changed. Bad sounds aren't allowed any more and shows actually have some entertainment value more then fast and loud.

"Bad sounds" are relative: the end of BD 2008 isn't exactly full of pretty sounds, just as much as some 80s/90s corps splattered tomatoes against the wall.

Entertainment is also relative: the intrinsic "entertainment" value that can be derived from a corps that attempts to pretty up a weak musical effort with faux depth in its design and/or concept is about the same amount that's derived from someone who claps their hands along with "In The Stone".

The activity is basically the same as far as fast and loud go. It still hits the baser instincts of why drum corps is a draw in the first place.

The rules may have changed, but people still want their face blown off.

I just watched the entire top 6 from 1990....as i hadnt seen quite a few of those shows. I found them entertaining, but oddly enough, the show themes were just as hard, if not harder to grasp than 2009. Arranging was a little more consistent, but we still had plenty of medleys, and 'playing a song without ever really playing it'. Seriously BD, could you have played any less of pinball wizard??.... :smile:

Point being, i think people look at the past through rose colored glasses sometimes. I enjoy pretty much all eras, even the 70's, but the notion that everyone played full charts and had shows that always made sense is simply not true. Maybe things have been trending a certain way over the past few decades, but it's certainly not as clear cut as most want to make it....