Philanthropy Strategy Re: Woodwinds

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've drafted quite a few estate plans in my life, but i've never seen anyone choose a drum corps over a spouse. nor have i ever seen such an arbitrary condition subsequent. wow.

[bolding mine]

Arbitrary condition? It seems very objectively measurable to me. And I've seen far worse in wills and estates (i.e., follow the will, if something is not clear, trustee decides, any beneficiary challenges the trustee, all beneficiaries lose everything and entirety of the estate goes to a charity).

[bolding mine]

Arbitrary condition? It seems very objectively measurable to me. And I've seen far worse in wills and estates (i.e., follow the will, if something is not clear, trustee decides, any beneficiary challenges the trustee, all beneficiaries lose everything and entirety of the estate goes to a charity).

well, yeah. of course.

i meant arbitrary as in "turns on something really insignificant - whether a marching band adds reeds or not"

I think the OP is well within his rights. In common terms, he is saying: "Hey, I'm leavin' some money for you to keep on doin' the things I like. If you quit doin' what I like, you ain't gonna get no money. Capiche?"

Isn't the the point of a will or a trust... that your money goes to supporting the things you support? If someone decides they will pay you to eat pizza for dinner, then you can either take the money and eat pizza, or pass and eat salad. It's a choice for both, so I don't see why anyone else really matters. Find folks who will defend your decisions in the future and go for it.

Not only 0, but a very cold, ABSOLUTE ZERO BABY!

Kinda like all this Global Warming going on...

Oh boy, my head just exploded! :blink:

Yes I feel like they could bring more financial stability and a bigger fan base.

But I'd of course rather never see them

If I had a billion dollars, I wouldn't give it to DCI UNTIL it accepted woodwinds.

Though you've already stated that this scenario is very unlikely, should you actually get the billion, just give it to a bunch of marching bands. They already have what you want.

Yes I feel like they could bring more financial stability and a bigger fan base.

How so? There have been summer band organizations before, and they have all failed miserably. There is no way to gauge the effect WW's would have on the financial stability of individual corps and the sanctioning organization. In fact, it would create more instability due to the need to increase the number of members to accomodate a voice that has poor (at best) projection outdoors, and the expense of purchasing the instruments. Bigger fan base? I see the majority of corps members who also play WW's say that they'd rather not see them in drum corps.

Plus, the reed instruments are affected more by weather conditions than the brass. Plastic reeeds? No thanks! Almost as bad as "clarinets to the box!"

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

well, yeah. of course.

i meant arbitrary as in "turns on something really insignificant - whether a marching band adds reeds or not"

Significance is all in the eyes of the beholder. To the OP, the introduction is clearly significant, hence the condition.