A Norwegian in DCI 2011

Hello everyone, this will be my first post here. I'm going to present myself here because it's closely related to this topic.

I'm a 18 year old musician from Norway, with euphonium as my main instrument. I discovered drum corps a while ago, and I'm just falling more and more in love with it, so now, I seek the help and knolwedge of this forum to realise my biggest dream: Marching with a DCI world class corps.

The (main) question is: How should I do this?

-Do most drum corps allow foreigners to march with them? Or do I have to make a special arrangement?

-Auditions: Considering where I live, I suppose I will only be able to meet up physically for the audidion of one corps. As I want to max out my chances of getting in, I would like to audition for more corps trough videos. Is that possible?

-Plane tickets are pricey and will probably limit my possibilities to attend all camps held during spring. How much understanding can I get for that?

-Are there any legal issues?

-How should I prepare? My musical level is pretty good, but my marching skills is somewhat limited. I suppose I need to practise marcing a lot, and build up some more strenght in my upper body, at least. . .

-Something I haven't considered?

That's a lot of questions, but I hope you can help me :thumbup:

(I apologize in advance for any typing errors; I wrote this a little late in the night)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may want to email the directors of the corps you are interested in marching. They will likely be able to make arrangements for you to audition via video. :thumbup: They will also be better able to tell you what you should work on improving.

As for legal issues, contact your Foreign Ministry about possible requirements or visit the US State Department's website. http://www.state.gov/

Hello everyone, this will be my first post here. I'm going to present myself here because it's closely related to this topic.

I'm a 18 year old musician from Norway, with euphonium as my main instrument. I discovered drum corps a while ago, and I'm just falling more and more in love with it, so now, I seek the help and knolwedge of this forum to realise my biggest dream: Marching with a DCI world class corps.

The (main) question is: How should I do this?

-Do most drum corps allow foreigners to march with them? Or do I have to make a special arrangement?

-Auditions: Considering where I live, I suppose I will only be able to meet up physically for the audidion of one corps. As I want to max out my chances of getting in, I would like to audition for more corps trough videos. Is that possible?

-Plane tickets are pricey and will probably limit my possibilities to attend all camps held during spring. How much understanding can I get for that?

-Are there any legal issues?

-How should I prepare? My musical level is pretty good, but my marching skills is somewhat limited. I suppose I need to practise marcing a lot, and build up some more strenght in my upper body, at least. . .

-Something I haven't considered?

That's a lot of questions, but I hope you can help me :thumbup:

(I apologize in advance for any typing errors; I wrote this a little late in the night)

There are LOTS of marchers that march Corps that come from all over the world. Where you are from is no impediment with Corps at all. If you can make it to their camps, they don't care where your home is. They'd be happy to have you.... Good luck to you. If you're able to do Corps, you'll find the experience a very worthwhile and very enjoyable experience despite the hard work that you'll be expected to put into it...... here's hoping you get to experience it all !

Edited by BRASSO

You also might try marching with a British or Euro corps to get your feet wet....or a US Sr corps. You've got 4 years to work on it.

But if you really want to go for a US corps....I say go for it! Who do you have in mind?

Contact staff and admin from the corps you're interested in. They can tell you about their policies. I know that many DCI corps have international members-they'll find a way to make it work. I can tell you that my old corps Pioneer traditionally has many international members (Japan, South Africa, Europe) so they're used to it. Other big corps are as well.

Good luck!

You also might try marching with a British or Euro corps to get your feet wet....or a US Sr corps. You've got 4 years to work on it.

But if you really want to go for a US corps....I say go for it! Who do you have in mind?

I'll second this.

You also might want to look at a US University for your education. Especially if you are interested in marching all 4 years that you are eligible. While it would be a higher cost for college the much lower travel cost for auditions and access to more rehearsal with the corps can only help.

You may want to email the directors of the corps you are interested in marching. They will likely be able to make arrangements for you to audition via video. :thumbup: They will also be better able to tell you what you should work on improving.

As for legal issues, contact your Foreign Ministry about possible requirements or visit the US State Department's website. http://www.state.gov/

ditto

Call the Pioneer office at 414 327 2847 or email...www.pioneer-corps.org We have a spot for you right now.

Donny

Troopers have had several members from overseas over the years. When I marched there was a member from Holland (I think) as well as Great Britain. In the last three years there have been members from Japan - some of whom aged out this past summer. I'm sure many other corps of all types (DCA, OC, WC) have had experience with this.

I second the idea of contacting the directors of the various corps you are interested in joining. Perhaps someone here (or in a corps office) can get you in contact with overseas members who have marched DCI recently so you can find out how they made it happen.