Audience Comments!

Last year, while the Glassmen were playing an encore, a trumpet stepped out of the arc to play a solo and gets about 5 notes into it when a guy behind me says louder than probably even he expected, "Hey! It's a chick!" The people around us chuckled quietly and gave her a good round of applause when she was done. It didn't annoy me and I actually thought it was cute, since my daughter is a trumpet player and will be marching her rookie season this year. Just interesting that most people expect melo soloists to be female, but not trumpets. :thumbup:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorites........

In the late 1970's, the Crossmen were in an early season show in Lancaster, Pa.. Since the corps was the merger of two smaller Eastern States circuit corps, they competed their first several years in some Eastern States shows, including the championships.

At any rate, the corps performed last at this show, and it was quite clear that perhaps they didn't belong in this competition. Right after their performance, these two ladies started bickering behind me. "I don't think that it's fair that they are allowed to compete". "Yes.....look at them.......I hear that they PAY their members......yes, many of those kids are getting paid". Being an alumnus of the corps, I couldn't help but set them straight...."No, ma'am, they don't get paid"...."How would you know"..."Because I marched there last year".....There was silence, and then I heard "but I still don't think it's fair".....I believe they were either parents or relatives of children from another corps. I hope they watched us on TV later that summer (lol)!!

(I actually ended up on the field that summer, too, in just a few weeks, as I replaced a kid who couldn't go on tour....)

GB

one year I almost got into a fist fight with some old drunk guy who kept talking through a certain corps and kept saying "what no singing--they cant win without singing" --words were exchanged--he shut up--hey I am a big guy LOL

the funniest always is when we are with people who have never been and Bluecoats enter and people GASP because they are getting "booed" LOL never gets old!

The comment that made me the most upset was at Allentown, when die hard boosters of a certain corps showed up 30 seconds before they started, turned and asked the person behind them "how bad were all the sucky corps before (insert corps name here) came on the field?"

the funniest part was the response: "well, I liked them better than what is coming in 20 seconds"

This must be a regional thing.... or perhaps the crowds are changing.

If fans arrived late ( already a no no) in the stands for a show in New Jersey, Boston, Giants Stadium, and immediately turned to the good and decent fans around them minding their own business and immediately referrred to the other Corps as bad and " sucky ", the fans around them would have that fan bound and gagged, secured by rope by their belt, and hoisted up and put just below the American Flag on the stadium flagpole to flap in the wind for the duration of the show.

People who come to shows late, and then make comments like this are not simply rude.

They really are major league stupid.

Edited by BRASSO

Preach!

Chew niblets!

one year I almost got into a fist fight with some old drunk guy who kept talking through a certain corps and kept saying "what no singing--they cant win without singing" --words were exchanged--he shut up--hey I am a big guy LOL

the funniest always is when we are with people who have never been and Bluecoats enter and people GASP because they are getting "booed" LOL never gets old!

This is another thing I've heard.... that security can be pretty lax at some Drum Corps shows around the country. Anyone that was clearly drunk and angrily lashing out during Corps performances that nearly caused a brawl should have been removed from that stadium...... or, if they ddn't serve liquor at the show..... not allowed in.

Edited by BRASSO

This happened at a marching band show in my town, but it left such an impression on my psyche, I'm going to share it. Our local high school was hosting one of the two regionals that was to determine which bands went on to the state championships. One band had one stupid gimmick after another. It was like being surrounded by a bad magic outlet store. As soon as the band finished, a woman in the row right behind me said to the woman next to her, (both were band mothers from a different band), "Our band needs more gimmicks."

I feared my blood pressure was going to shoot my brains through my ears.

This happened at a marching band show in my town, but it left such an impression on my psyche, I'm going to share it. Our local high school was hosting one of the two regionals that was to determine which bands went on to the state championships. One band had one stupid gimmick after another. It was like being surrounded by a bad magic outlet store. As soon as the band finished, a woman in the row right behind me said to the woman next to her, (both were band mothers from a different band), "Our band needs more gimmicks."

I feared my blood pressure was going to shoot my brains through my ears.

Even worse.... she was probably right.

You're probably correct, which makes the comment still resonate in my brain pan.

If only we could use the magic that was displayed to make such gimmicky units disappear, Michael.

( no, no, not forever...... just until the time that I won't be coming down for breakfast any more,... or until they come out with something less gimmicky, more real, maybe some other time. )

Edited by BRASSO