Circular breathing...

sburstall

I've been working on it. And last year's contra line all learned how. To me it was never much more than a parlor trick. Neat to be able to do, but not absolutely needed.

You might be able to do it once or twice on Contra ,but after that Im ready to pass out.

My girlfriend says that people who play the Didgery-doo (yeah I know ...) circular breath exclusively.

Ok ...I know its bad form to quote myself ,but I played a Didjeridu last night, those guys are crazy ,ALL they do is circular breath I need to work on it...and I thought Contra was a #####!! :music:

Edited by contrasteve2001

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Circular breathing in my opinion is really just a circus trick. I mean honestly how often does a piece of music leave you nowhere to musically sneak a breath. My first private teacher taught me about circular breathing in 8th grade so it came pretty easily and I could play all of a movement of a Mozart concerto (I'm a horn player) without taking a "real" breath. But it just has no practical applications. I say just work on your normal breathing, its much more useful.

• 2 weeks later...

i can! i do it by accident, i figured out i was when i kept winning the longest note contests. not that i can do it well. and i dont want to do anything kenny g does.

• 1 month later...

Not just a trick.

I can do it. But I have actually used it on a big - band gig on a long sustain. Sometimes practical, but rarely.

I have held a note in excess of 6 minutes using it.

Edited by kalijah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

trick, yes, but a handy one to have in your little bag of tricks. It is just something that you won't use everyday.

Guest Ted Striker

For those that claim a lack of tone when playing circularly, listen to Wynton Marsalis' "Moto Perpetuo." It might dispell any naysayers. In addition, the Rafael Mendez version of Moto Perpetuo is fantastic in that it is all single tonuged--all while ciruclar breathing.

I learned about 15 years ago...the water method mentioned previously.

Ted Striker

A good way to practice circular breathing is to blow bubbles in your Coke through your straw. It's a great way to annoy people too. :P