Circular breathing...

sburstall

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gosh! Please don't Kenny G any more incentive to play!

But.....I learned circle-breathing playing didgeridoo as well, but have not been able to transfer the technique to brass for some reason (lack of practice maybe?). It still makes me light-headed a bit, but it's still fun to do.

Wynton Marsalis is a great circle-breather!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

• 2 months later...

Yea, circular breathing is a neat trick I suppose. Sadly its just not practical at all. I used to be pretty proficient at it for a brass player (made it a good 6 minutes once) but I really think that just taking in a really good breath ever so often give you more power. I worked on these "Breathing Gym" exercises this summer and they proved most useful. So give them a try instead of trying circular breathing

ahhh I've never been able to do it...

i only practice it in the privacy of my own room however...to prevent the questions like: "hey chels....why are you turning blue???"

OT - Maybe if we encourage Kenny G, he'll over do it, pass out and die. The world will be a better place.

That was Ben Harloff in the video; he did it at the end of his flugelhorn solo in Malaguena. If I recall, I think the guy who plays it now still does it, but I'm not sure.

Yes the current guy who plays that part in Blast! still does it, and his name I believe is Frank Sullivan

Well, I learned by trickling a constant stream of water out of my mouth as well.

One of the first questions I ever asked my professor after entering college was about circular breathing. "Name one point where you would need to use it and I bet you really don't need it, he said. I play tuba, and there are pieces where it would be nice to have, but when you circular breath, you sacrifice tone quality. So my advice is to do what we all learn to do and that is 'stagger breath'." I would say that I have to agree with him on that, although, it is a really cool trick.

• 4 months later...

yea thats all it really is...a trick i learned how to do it late middle school years and the only time i've found a use for it was when a band director had us do long tones and he just said ok just hold the note out as long as you want. I used it then and i never lost :huh: . other than that it really does sacrifice tone quality. other than that its a fun trick to inpress people with or if you wanna play the digeredoo or however you spell it.

i don't know if its possible on low brass instruments, but i've been workin on circular breathing on trumpet for about 4-5 years now. And I can hold it going for a couple minutes and or pitch doesn't fluctuate very much at all. But its alot of practice with a tuner to get that. but once i hit about 2 minutes its starts to tire my lips something hardcorps. But i figure once i got a minute down, now I can work on chaning notes while CBing, I can play a few scales now while doing it. still working. Give me 5-10 more years and i'll play Flight of the bumble bee on one breath. :)