Circular breathing...

sburstall

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It follows the same Concept as a bagpipe. except instead of using a bag you use your mouth. It's easier on a high pitched horn like a soprano.

Frank Sullivan taught me how to circular breath in about 2 minutes.

Wish he could have done that for me when he taught my hs band.

• 2 weeks later...
OT - Maybe if we encourage Kenny G, he'll over do it, pass out and die. The world will be a better place.

:P

I've seen only two people do it...one was our lead sax guy at the band at Fort Leonard Wood...he would do the trick while soloing and get standing ovations.

The other I saw was a kid from Academie Musicale at DCI I&E in 1993...

I can't do it.....but I can do polyphonics!

Edited by FrankBeMe

• 7 months later...

Why can't I produce a single buzz on my mouthpiece when I try circular breathing :blink: I march baritone in our corps... I only hear air coming out of my mouth... any suggestions?

Yeah Raphael Mendez was reall good. I saw him using it while playing flight of the bumble bee and moto perpetuo while tonguing. He' really good I wish he's still alive right now :(

You can check it out at www.trumpetstuff.com just look for he's name on the list of trumpet players on the left side

Edited by bbaritone_41

I heard Bill Watrous do it live several times back in the '70's (he and his big band recordings were all the rage at the time), but he said he hadn't done it on his records (although he did do "multiphonics"). Come to think of it, I saw Raphael Mendez live in the early '70's, but I don't remember him doing it in the clinic. It's really not very hard to do, nor is it very useful.

I was fortunate enough to be introduced to Raphael Mendez back in 1957 when I was 14. He demonstrated circular breathing at his clinic and in concert played the melody line to "Carnival of Venice" and the variations at the same time. Just to take it up a notch he did this with "ONE FINGER" and never took a breath. :blink: Whose Kenny G????

I'm circular breathing in a composition I commission for my senior recital. I specifially asked for a circular breathing passage to be added. The actual technique of CB isn't that hard. AS aluded to before, its the keeping it intune during the switch from mouth back to lungs. Its taken me, lets see I started practicing it in 10th grade, and i'm now a senior in college, so about 6 years of practice to be able to do it accuratly for a piece. I'm now working doing it and tongueing, thats the next step for me. My personal record with a tuner is 11 and half minutes. My lips were quite hot afterwards, but mostly I was BORED. I started practicing with a straw just at random times, while in class, or driving, etc. Then I switched to my horn. And in the last 2 years I started playing scales and attempting pieces while CBing. Now i'm working on lip slurs while CB. Its a fun technique, but its mostly for showing off then anything practical, though any jazzers out there have played a Maria Schnieder piece entitled "Hang Gliding" the last like 20 some bars of the lead part is a sustained pitch with no written breaks, but i'm guessin she knows it would have to be broken by most players, but I don't have to. It was fun to be able to use the technique in a piece that wasn't written for the technique.

And melligene you're joking about "whose Kenny G???" right?

I'm circular breathing in a composition I commission for my senior recital. I specifially asked for a circular breathing passage to be added. The actual technique of CB isn't that hard. AS aluded to before, its the keeping it intune during the switch from mouth back to lungs. Its taken me, lets see I started practicing it in 10th grade, and i'm now a senior in college, so about 6 years of practice to be able to do it accuratly for a piece. I'm now working doing it and tongueing, thats the next step for me. My personal record with a tuner is 11 and  half minutes. My lips were quite hot afterwards, but mostly I was BORED. I started practicing with a straw just at random times, while in class, or driving, etc. Then I switched to my horn. And in the last 2 years I started playing scales and attempting pieces while CBing. Now i'm working on lip slurs while CB. Its a fun technique, but  its mostly for showing off then anything practical, though any jazzers out there have played a Maria Schnieder piece entitled "Hang Gliding" the last like 20 some bars of the lead part is a sustained pitch with no written breaks, but i'm guessin she knows it would have to be broken by most players, but I don't have to. It was fun to be able to use the technique in a piece that wasn't written for the technique.

And melligene you're joking about "whose Kenny G???" right?

.....Yep.....just joking......No offense intended. Sarcasm maybe :blink:  Me bad ^0^