Would this trumpet be legal in DCI?

from what I understand contras are more powerful and have always been used, plus they're manly as ####, the trombones do have a different sound from baritones, but you can't have tight drill with them as you can imagine, I mean they could be good and all you know, but it's alot to take into account when writing drill, I guess its just to much hassle and horns having different blends etc.

I understand all of those reasons, I just mean, are there any specific rules that prohibit those particular instruments?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand all of those reasons, I just mean, are there any specific rules that prohibit those particular instruments?

I dont think there is for the sousaphone, not sure about the trombone, but really? Contra is a man horn! I tried one of my friends, and it hard to play, ill stick to my trumpet

I think there USED to be wording (prior to 2000) that specified legal brass was in G, bell-front in the matter of a trumpet, and 0-4 valves. I didn't see that wording when I skimmed the 07 rules, but t-bones are not valved and sousas are not really bell-front like a trumpet.

However, a VALVE T-bone might be legal so long as the slide doesn't move (although you'd have to check with DCI/DCA to be sure)....it would play havoc with intervals, tho.

I think there USED to be wording (prior to 2000) that specified legal brass was in G, bell-front in the matter of a trumpet, and 0-4 valves. I didn't see that wording when I skimmed the 07 rules, but t-bones are not valved and sousas are not really bell-front like a trumpet.

However, a VALVE T-bone might be legal so long as the slide doesn't move (although you'd have to check with DCI/DCA to be sure)....it would play havoc with intervals, tho.

What about bugles with a slide valve?

What about bugles with a slide valve?

Are you asking about a "slip-slide rotary" ?

( before the rotary was made available on the old G/D horns, there were single valve G bugles that used a slide to drop 1/2 steps ( NOT like a bone, a short slide of just a few inches that you pulled towards yourself)

Because I didn't suck the most, I didn't have to play one, yet started on a G/D V/R soprano

Are you asking about a "slip-slide rotary" ?

( before the rotary was made available on the old G/D horns, there were single valve G bugles that used a slide to drop 1/2 steps ( NOT like a bone, a short slide of just a few inches that you pulled towards yourself)

Because I didn't suck the most, I didn't have to play one, yet started on a G/D V/R soprano

Yes, one of those.

Looks like the rotary valve is only used to open airflow to the other bell. Nothing else.

Do corporations not proofread anymore? I'm surprised to see a typo on the official Yamaha Facebook page.

I see it on EVERY major web site today.

This instrument looks way cool.