Looking Back a bit

Blaming the economy for any corps folding is an excuse, and a poor one at that. We must do better (collectively)

My .02

I am afraid I will have to disagree with you there Lee. Agree to disagree?

Ive seen a bunch of members NOT coming back to march because they lost their job or the primary source of income for the family has been lost. How can you justify marching when your 3 month behind on your electric bill and its going to be shut off soon?

I also hear a lot of the donations that corps depend on are not coming in at the same rate as they have the last couple of years. This is not because that supporters are not interested in donating to a worthy cause but because they are having to use those resources elsewhere.

I am not on the west coast so you guys may not be facing the same issues as corps in the east and south are facing. If so,,bravo for the west coast crew for strong financial conditions.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree Lee. If I can't afford to march, I'm not marching and unless someone pays my expenses to do so, my FAMILY comes before my drum corps family. If members aren't showing up because of not being able to afford their hobby at this time, yes Lee ~ it has everything to do with the economy.

Good post, sixtysomething!

Today's DCA corps have other characteristics generally not found in earlier times. That would include member dues and additional payments for the privilege of riding a corps bus to events. Also includes hotel room charges for championships. In my marching days (late sixties) I didn't face any of this. Truth be told, I received random funds from the corps TO ME, to help pay for my travel to practice. Those funds were never requested, were never formal in any way, but did happen.

In today's economy, and rate of unemployment, if the "marching DCA" experience requires even $1000 (or less) many good people will choose not to participate. That's reality, and I don't have a solution to fix it.

what Liz and Ed says. having fought unemployment last year, and being in an industry that depends on the economy, if i had to choose between paying my mortgage or paying my dues, sorry the house wins.

Lee took a nap! LOL Sorry Lee.

drumlaw80 said:

"Wait a minute ... the Cru/Brigs situations?

I heard about Brigs. Cru is not coming out either?"

Sadly, Cru announced about a month ago that they would not be competing this year.

Good post, sixtysomething!

Today's DCA corps have other characteristics generally not found in earlier times. That would include member dues and additional payments for the privilege of riding a corps bus to events. Also includes hotel room charges for championships. In my marching days (late sixties) I didn't face any of this. Truth be told, I received random funds from the corps TO ME, to help pay for my travel to practice. Those funds were never requested, were never formal in any way, but did happen.

In today's economy, and rate of unemployment, if the "marching DCA" experience requires even $1000 (or less) many good people will choose not to participate. That's reality, and I don't have a solution to fix it.

Yep forgot some other changes from 74-79 in my corps.

Dues...... up to a whole $35

Insurance forms (aka don't sue us)

Both were in the 1977-78 time frame.

And ask anyone from Johnsonburg, PA (steel town) Diplomats about how economy affects Drum Corps.

Edit: Let's not forget corps going from getting (at least some) money from sponsoring groups like AL and VFW to being totally self supporting. And expenses are so high now that parade money doesn't go that far.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

And expenses are so high now that parade money doesn't go that far.

I can't speak to whether the situation used to be different, but out here in the Midwest, we pay for the privilege of being in a parade.

Robert

Lee took a nap! LOL Sorry Lee.

No, I just don't check into DCP, DCI, DCA or DCW very often these days.

For the record, I think people are interpreting my comments about the economy as somehow implying that a bad economy is "not" a reason some people can't march. Sorry ... Please understand, I have a ton of friends out of work, and I completely understand that ugly reality.

However, I do not think it is an acceptable excuse for a DCA corps to go under. Sorry for any misunderstanding.