Early 70's Questions

As I recall, Ohio Brass Factory began "pitting" mallets and tympani in 1982. Others began in 80/81

within DCA...

Jives with my memory Steve. Saw 1980 DCA Prelims/Finals at Hershey and don't remember any pits. When I rejoined in 1984, corps had pits including Westshore (4 tymps, 2 marching bells on stands).

What happened in between, I don't have a clue.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I recall, Ohio Brass Factory began "pitting" mallets and tympani in 1982. Others began in 80/81

within DCA...

my brother Tom played pit/planted Timps for the Thunderbirds in 1980 and 1981,....................still carried the bells those years tho,............started planting more stuff like keys, etc. in 1982................

Gary, the Hurricane archives lists that show on July 31st in Spring Valley NY

Caballeros 88.35

Sunrisers 83.30

Hurricanes 75.90

Matadors 70.75

Thunderbirds 68.80

The pic appears from 1975. The chimes were used in "He's got the Whole World"....a perc feature, as well as the production of "Hallelujah Chorus/Jesus Christ Superstar. And no, there were never any issues raised with the use of the chimes....they were played by our marching bell player. Hope that helps :laughing:

That's cool!,............................if the pic is from 75, would you say this show was held in 1976?

Jives with my memory Steve. Saw 1980 DCA Prelims/Finals at Hershey and don't remember any pits. When I rejoined in 1984, corps had pits including Westshore (4 tymps, 2 marching bells on stands).

What happened in between, I don't have a clue.....

If I recall.. Didn't Matadors plant a concert Marimba on the front sideline along with that soloist "ramp/megaphone" setup, in 1980? Other than THAT, I did not see pits untill 1982.

And as such, Hurcs planting orchestra chimes on the front sideline in the mid 70's was most definately

"radical".

That's cool!,............................if the pic is from 75, would you say this show was held in 1976?

yes, forgot that ..... the show in question was July 31st, 1976

yes, forgot that ..... the show in question was July 31st, 1976

Thank you!,.............for a long time I had a large hole in our scores archive for 1976,..............I struck a vien when searching a stack of old programs,...............and information like the stuff gleaned in this thread, have helped fill in some gaps for me,....................computers are cool,....................

If I recall.. Didn't Matadors plant a concert Marimba on the front sideline along with that soloist "ramp/megaphone" setup, in 1980? Other than THAT, I did not see pits untill 1982.

And as such, Hurcs planting orchestra chimes on the front sideline in the mid 70's was most definately

"radical".

I have a photo somewhere of the Thunderbirds "pit" in 82 from finals,.............2 of the keyboards were a set of Marching bells and a Marching xylophone planted on top of 4 tapered style baritone cases,................low budget!

Caballeros 88.35

Sunrisers 83.30

Hurricanes 75.90

Matadors 70.75

Thunderbirds 68.80

The pic appears from 1975. The chimes were used in "He's got the Whole World"....a perc feature, as well as the production of "Hallelujah Chorus/Jesus Christ Superstar. And no, there were never any issues raised with the use of the chimes....they were played by our marching bell player. Hope that helps :laughing:

i remeber the chimes. they were great. i thought they added a lot to the show. we used them in 1977 because of what the hurcs did. luedee was a great inovator. once bells were allowed on the field the rules said if you could march with it you could use it. but you did have to mark time. i still believe it should be that way. not park it on the outside of the field and not mark time while playing...........but i'm very old school.

Caballeros 88.35

Sunrisers 83.30

Hurricanes 75.90

Matadors 70.75

Thunderbirds 68.80

Spring Valley makes so much more sense. When I was in high school in Fort Lee a bunch of us would cut school (who knew!) travel up route 9W to go to Bear Mountain. The only thing in Tallman, N.Y. is exit and entrance ramps from the Palisade Interstate Parkway and some type of geological, seismology station. Oh, and I thing for some strange reason there was a traffic light at the ramps on and off the Parkway. Nothing where there would space to have a Drum Corps show,...football field, high school,...nothing.

Spring Valley makes so much more sense. When I was in high school in Fort Lee a bunch of us would cut school (who knew!) travel up route 9W to go to Bear Mountain. The only thing in Tallman, N.Y. is exit and entrance ramps from the Palisade Interstate Parkway and some type of geological, seismology station. Oh, and I thing for some strange reason there was a traffic light at the ramps on and off the Parkway. Nothing where there would space to have a Drum Corps show,...football field, high school,...nothing.

Are you sure?,..................that sounds like Parsippany :laughing: