What was the first drum corps show you attended?

I believe it was 1975 Whitewater... I remember for many years my dad kept the ticket in a small frame on his desk with "Brent's First Show" written under it.

That sounds just like something your Dad would do. Great guy, and what a terrific memory!

KS

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have told the story before but was at the Danville exhibition show Memorial Day Weekend in 1977. Next to the bottom row of the bleachers which started on the ground so we were eyeball to horn bell level. Matadors had an off year in 1976 and Westshore was coming up so couple of us wondered if we might catch RI in 1977. End of the first number (Rodeo) the screamer sops are coming right at us and the crowd is going ape stuff. We just look at each other like "Ain't gonna catch 'em this year ####!!!". :tongue:

Amongst the many, Jimmy Centorino (Matadors, 1974-1982) sure knew how to play in the stratosphere! (He still does!)

1965. Viroqua, Wisconsin. I was there with the Blue Stars to perform in exhibition because we were a parade corps our first year out. Eau Clarie Boys were there. Cedar Rapids Grenediers were there. Seems like I remember the Grenediers having a rather large snare line that year. Eau Clarie Boys played 'Tie me Kangaroo Down Sport' if I'm not mistaken. Gosh, so many corps in those days. What fun. Hope I'm right on this with Cedar Rapids.

Either the Tournament of Stars 1979 ,or the Deborah Heart Fund show,same place,Bayonne,NJ.

The first show I attended was Glover Stadium Anaheim, California in 1968. The Anaheim Kingsmen's show. My father, my brother and I had seen the Kingsmen in a parade and followed them through the parade season when one of the parents suggested we attend. The corps that evening were:

Anaheim Kingsmen

Velvet Knights

Lynwood Diplomats (or Ambassadors)

Imperial Dragons/LA Chinese

Kings Royal Lancers (Kingsmen's B corps)

Squires (VK's B corps)

and maybe the Golden Statesmen from San Diego

I still have the program from that show at home. Santa Clara was also in the line up.

1965. Viroqua, Wisconsin.

You know you're in Wisconsin when .........

...... the name of the contest is "Farm Progress Days"

Edited by HornsUp

You know you're in Wisconsin when .........

...... the name of the contest is "Farm Progress Days"

OMG.

Either the Tournament of Stars 1979 ,or the Deborah Heart Fund show,same place,Bayonne,NJ.

Was the show in late July or August? If so, I was in that show. That was the show where the baritone player was performing the Star Spangled Banner and stopped playing in the middle. He ran around the field for a couple of seconds and then continued. I was dumbfounded. How disrespectful. I did not find out until years later, via this forum, that his valves started sticking and he ran over to someone else and grabbed their horn. All these years of disrespect for the Bridgemen were misplaced.