What was the first drum corps show you attended?

I was at a funeral the other day and a drum corps friend of mine told me about the first show he ever attended. His face lit up with a big smile. Then I thought what was mine?

My first show was probably in Michigan in 1969 but I do not remember where. I marched in that show with the Glass City Optimists. I never saw a show before I marched, so after we performed I went up into the stands to see what this was all about. I do not remember who all was there except for the Royal Lancers.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was a stand-still contest in Stockton California (1966). We were still the Sparks Drum & Bugle Corps and I'd only been with the corps a couple weeks (having been drafted [no auditions back then] into the corps by Gail Royer) and it was my first exposure to Drum Corps. I was totally blown away that day and was hooked ever since. The one Corps that floored me that day was the Joaquin Caballeros and their large (then big) 40 man horn line.

:smile:

Edited by amadorj

I think it was 1966. Drums Along the Chippewa at Carson Park in Eau Claire, Wi.

The Troopers were there. They were staying a couple houses away from my home at First Lutheran Church.

I thought they were the most incredible thing I'd seen in my life (and I had been at the baseball all star game in 1965).

I ended up quitting little league and joining the Eau Claire Boys that fall and started marching in 1967 at age 12 in the

'A' corps as a guard to the American Flag.

Barnum Festival ... 1959 ...

:-)

Barnum Festival ... 1959 ...

:-)

1980, Windsor, ONT

first corps I ever saw live was the Bandettes!

was there for a baton corps comp with the Scarlet Strutters from Defiance, OH

1974 Queen City Invitational. SCV, Madison, Kingsmen, Kilts, PR, Blue Stars, Black Knights, Marion Cadets.

83 West Coast Connection, Riverside, CA. BD, SCV, Sky Ryders, Crossmen, VK (I think), among others. A friend from high school invited me and I went...ended up filling out a member application at the BD booth and auditioned the next year,

1972 - Music Under the Bridge, Brooklyn, NY. (Long Island Circuit)

The OLA Blue Angels (host)

The Knights of Huntington

The Oceanside Legionaires

A bunch of other rinky-dink corps I can't remember.

It got me hooked.

Cavalier show 1970. Clowns. But I got over it. Turned out the guy who was the clown went to my high school. We're all connected.