2010 Countdown

Wonder if anyone here is going to see the Countdown in VA (mostly Northern, possibly Fairfax, McClean, Alexandria, Arlington)? Haven't decided where I'll go yet but I'll be wearing my HNC jacket.

After skipping the last two years I'm going to Germantown MD or Mazza Gallery ( Garfield Cadet jacket in tow)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Southpark Meadows at Slaughter and I-35. I've also attended at the Metropolitan which is near Stassney and I-35.

Right on. We should see how convenient it is to maybe drum up the idea of any DCP'ers around the area going to the same theater. At any rate, the calling of schools to drum up interest sounds like a good idea, too.

Ive got a 52" and belive it or not..all of those shows...come on over !

G

You've got all of those shows? WOW :tongue:

We may need to have a Drum Corps party! :tongue:

Seriously, I haven't seen some of those shows for a couple of decades.

I wish I could have gotten the 25 corps from 800 Video Express when they were available.

Hopefully you've digitized and backed them up. My old videos are starting to degrade.

Edited by jjeffeory

You've got all of those shows? WOW :tongue:

We may need to have a Drum Corps party! :tongue:

Seriously, I haven't seen some of those shows for a couple of decades.

I wish I could have gotten the 25 corps from 800 Video Express when they were available.

Hopefully you've digitized and backed them up. My old videos are starting to degrade.

Oh yes, thanks to a very good DCP friend here I have most of em all backed up......I even have 1981 DCI Midwest prelims with corps that didnt make the telecast that year.....and yes I have 81 Freelancers on video !

G

Oh yes, thanks to a very good DCP friend here I have most of em all backed up......I even have 1981 DCI Midwest prelims with corps that didnt make the telecast that year.....and yes I have 81 Freelancers on video !

G

Thank goodness someone is saving these performances! I would imagine that DCI is doing so or has done so as well for the video of these performances. Kinda like Ken Kobold did with drum corps audio.

Now if we could get DCI to do a non-finals countdown... :tongue:

Thank you for chiming in. I'll be there, in Trooper apparel of course!

By the way, I'm not sure if you can answer this question, but I'll give it a try: In Austin there were several theaters showing the Countdown last year. While I appreciate wanting this to be widely available in all markets, I'm wondering if limiting it to 3 theaters might help our crowds be bigger. Every time I go there's not very many there - maybe 30 people. As it has been noted in the stadium discussions, when you have more drum corps fans crammed together, there's much more excitement.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pose the question and see what the policy/plan is. No matter what, I'll be there, hopefully with a bunch of other fans and maybe a few new folks too!

I went to a color guard contest today in my 'own backyard'. The gym stands were 80% filled. It was a great day! 22 years since I attended a winter guard contest. During intermission we talked and talked. It'd be awesome if we could have a Countdown in Alberta. I know of 2 independant theatres that we could fill with drum corps folks for one night. Not sure if we can though? I might have movie night at the community hall, show some tapes but it's not the same as the big screen. Oh my and a sigh :(

Could you make a few calls to music programs in the area to generate interest? Bet that would boost the crowd anywhere.

Great idea. I'll try that!

I went to a color guard contest today in my 'own backyard'. The gym stands were 80% filled. It was a great day! 22 years since I attended a winter guard contest. During intermission we talked and talked. It'd be awesome if we could have a Countdown in Alberta. I know of 2 independant theatres that we could fill with drum corps folks for one night. Not sure if we can though? I might have movie night at the community hall, show some tapes but it's not the same as the big screen. Oh my and a sigh :(

For the past few years, we've been working with our partners from Fathom Events and National CineMedia on the process of getting "The Countdown" and the "Big, Loud and Live" quarterfinals broadcast into Canada (and beyond). There are a BUNCH of challenges, relating to distribution of the product outside of US borders... before we even get to the ever-present 10,000 pound gorilla known as "music licensing" thereby making it even a bit more challenging. Beaming digital broadcasts across national borders... working with many different theater operators in other countries... it's a rough road for a niche market like ours. We are continuing to work on this, however! There are many people who would love for the corps to make it to the big screen in throughout Canada, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and the rest of Europe, Japan and beyond!

Although we were the first event of its kind ever distributed through movie theaters, others have followed our lead and have create a great distribution channel. As one example, the Metropolitan Opera is doing this sort of stuff quite successfully through its movie theater series, following and vastly expanding upon the trail we blazed. Beyond the technical and legal issues, one of our challenges is simply not knowing how big of an audience there would be in the major Canadian population centers in support of such an effort. If you have any thoughts to share on this, please feel free to PM me, or to e-mail me at bjacobs@dci.org. We'd need to be able to make a case that after all of the costs related to various royalties and fees and licenses are covered, there would still be a sizable enough audience to make it worthwhile for the theater operators to get excited about our offerings.

Edited by bobjacobs

For the past few years, we've been working with our partners from Fathom Events and National CineMedia on the process of getting "The Countdown" and the "Big, Loud and Live" quarterfinals broadcast into Canada (and beyond). There are a BUNCH of challenges, relating to distribution of the product outside of US borders... before we even get to the ever-present 10,000 pound gorilla known as "music licensing" thereby making it even a bit more challenging. Beaming digital broadcasts across national borders... working with many different theater operators in other countries... it's a rough road for a niche market like ours. We are continuing to work on this, however! There are many people who would love for the corps to make it to the big screen in throughout Canada, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and the rest of Europe, Japan and beyond!

Although we were the first event of its kind ever distributed through movie theaters, others have followed our lead and have create a great distribution channel. As one example, the Metropolitan Opera is doing this sort of stuff quite successfully through its movie theater series, following and vastly expanding upon the trail we blazed. Beyond the technical and legal issues, one of our challenges is simply not knowing how big of an audience there would be in the major Canadian population centers in support of such an effort. If you have any thoughts to share on this, please feel free to PM me, or to e-mail me at bjacobs@dci.org. We'd need to be able to make a case that after all of the costs related to various royalties and fees and licenses are covered, there would still be a sizable enough audience to make it worthwhile for the theater operators to get excited about our offerings.

Thanks for the information. Coincidentally, today we went to see Alice at a cinema that offers The Met: Live in HD. I inquired and next month we're going to see Hamlet (encore) or the live performance of Armida. We'll go early and if the manager is available, I'll ask questions about royalties, fees, licenses and I'll count the audience. In the interim, I'll pick a corps from each decade and after our reunion planning meeting, we'll have a 1 hour video show. If this goes well, I'll book the community hall (which is free twice a year for members of the board), have movie night with other drum corps alumni in our city and determine next steps. We hope to provide awareness, re-seed and see if it grows :-)

One question, if I may. My friend works at a not-for-profit radio station. Can she play drum corps music on the air Thursday evenings?