2010 Countdown

Sorry, but for me this is a waste of money. I already HAVE the top 5 from last year...plus anybody else I want to see from last year, on the DVD's I purchased. The closest theater is an hour's drive so I can watch the same shows I can watch in my living room? I'll pass, thanks....

Sucks, I have at least 5 theaters within 30 minutes drive that show it... So it's definitely an easy choice for me.

Though I really just like watching corps on the big screen with friends. And sure I can watch the shows anytime at home, but its still not the same as the countdown experience.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sucks, I have at least 5 theaters within 30 minutes drive that show it... So it's definitely an easy choice for me.

Though I really just like watching corps on the big screen with friends. And sure I can watch the shows anytime at home, but its still not the same as the countdown experience.

Especially for the fact that we'll be on the big screen.

They should mix five current and five "classic" shows...they were having much success with introducing older shows to a younger audience, I dont get the angle or incentive or motive here.......

Again, a product that wasnt broken, trying to be "fixed" .......

G

Agreed.

I think that DCI could make it better this year if they show the whole classic show after the current show. If they are just showing clips, then for example, if they are showing examples of Applacian Spring, why not also show clips of Santa Clara from 1976 and 1982? Same thing for other shows. More variety.

I'm not too crazy about the camp reports either. But maybe DCI needs to drum up (no pun intended) interest. Hope I'm wrong.

I wish they could have done this new format under a different title, and kept the Classic Countdown as a fan interactive thing. DCI may have made more money and maybe kept more interest.

I wish they could have done this new format under a different title, and kept the Classic Countdown as a fan interactive thing. DCI may have made more money and maybe kept more interest.

Were that the case, don't you think DCI would have done that? Do you really think they left money on the table? Or is it rather that the votes and attendance indicated a clear preference for more recent shows, so the Countdown was adjusted in accord with the market?

HH

I guess I'm on the side that's disappointed with this approach. I've really liked the previous countdowns, and their collection of various fan-favorite shows. Just to rehash last year's top 5, with some albeit-interesting tie ins to older shows with similar themes or music leaves me completely flat. It doesn't help that while last year's top 5 were outstanding competitively, 2009 was a significant step back in terms of entertainment. I have a group of non-drum corps fans I drag to the Dallas show each year, and then most come over to watch the finals DVD. Their unamimous opinion of last year was "ehhh". Not one show really grabbed any of them, with many asking where the Crown shows of 07 and 08, Phantom's recent shows, Cavies of 06 and 08, and may others were. Count me out for this countdown. I'll wait for the season to start to get my Drum Corps "jones" I guess...

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan

I guess I'm on the side that's disappointed with this approach. I've really liked the previous countdowns, and their collection of various fan-favorite shows. Just to rehash last year's top 5, with some albeit-interesting tie ins to older shows with similar themes or music leaves me completely flat. It doesn't help that while last year's top 5 were outstanding competitively, 2009 was a significant step back in terms of entertainment. I have a group of non-drum corps fans I drag to the Dallas show this year, and then most come over to watch the finals DVD. There unamimous opinion of last year was "ehhh". Not one show really grabbed any of them, with many asking where the Crown shows of 07 and 08, Phantom's recent shows, Cavies of 06 and 08, and may others were. Count me out for this countdown. I'll wait for the season to start to get my Drum Corps "jones" I guess...

Harvey

I gotta agree with you about last year's entertainment relative to recent years. I have been critical of the last couple of "Countdowns" as well. What makes this countdown more interesting than the other couple of countdowns is the tie in to the older shows.

Were that the case, don't you think DCI would have done that? Do you really think they left money on the table? Or is it rather that the votes and attendance indicated a clear preference for more recent shows, so the Countdown was adjusted in accord with the market?

HH

I really don't know. As far as what DCI thinks is anybody's guess. As far as leaving money on the table, maybe this countdown will say something. Maybe the new age outs have more disposable income than the dinosaurs, so more money will come in with more young people. I thought in the beginning when there was a little bit of everything was perfect. That way there were more people of all ages. For DCI's sake, I hope this works out.

Edited by kmansdrummin