For those with "significant others"

Significant Others and Drum Corps  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Which one applies to your significant other (SO) best?

• My SO is a drum corps fanatic - even more than me.
    • My SO is as much of a fan of drum corps as I am.
    • My SO is a fan, but not as much as me.
    • My SO likes drum corps a little.
    • My SO is tolerant of my drum corps enjoyment.
    • My SO would rather I completely drop my drum corps habit.
  2. 2. Part Deux: show attendance

• My SO goes to more drum corps shows than me.
    • My SO goes to the same number of shows that I do.
    • My SO goes to fewer shows than I do.
    • My SO rarely goes to drum corps shows. (less than 1 per year, but a handful over time)
    • My SO never goes to drum corps shows.

My Wife appreciates what the corps do and thinks they are incredibly talented. she has gone to a few shows with me including Finals 2000 and Finals week 2004, but she hasn't been to a show since 2007 and really isn't all that interested in going to them. She tolerates that I go to Allentown every year with my brother, but would rather I didn't.

Edited by bluecoats88

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I got married the week before finals in 1984, and went to semi's and finals as part of our honeymoon! :tongue: When dating, we went to some shows as well, so she knew what she was getting into. She has continued to put up with my addiction, and is usually good for at least one live show per year. I took her and all 3 of our kids to 2008 Championships - first championships all together including the kids. It is extremely cool to hear them all get very vocal about who has their favorite show in any given year. In 2008 they were partial to Phantom, Crown, and Bluecoats.

Smart kids! :w00t:

I've dated a few girls in varying positions on this spectrum, though I've only ever had one girlfriend while on tour. That was my rookie year, and I regret spending most of my free time trying to talk to her. It kept me from getting to know my corps mates as well as I would have liked. She was a dancer in high school, but was never in band or anything like it, but she respected my decision to march (I found out that I was going on tour basically 2 weeks before Spring Training, if I remember correctly) She didn't go to any shows, but she came to see me at a rehearsal here in Denton.

I've also dated others who tolerated my love of the activity, or even enjoyed it a little, but none have ever really come close to my level of involvement or "fanaticism" with corps.

Here's to hoping for a corps savvy girl in my future!

So, all in all, I just didn't vote. :tongue:

Edited by BlooContraGuy

My boyfriend is tolerant of my habit. He didn't do music in high school or now in college so i honestly don't think he gets it. But going into my rookie year of marching, I'm not sure what it will do to our relationship. Maybe we'll just put "us" on hold (but not necessarily become single for the summer, just not try and talk to each other so much), and pick up where we left off after i come back.

Any advice on the matter?

My boyfriend is tolerant of my habit. He didn't do music in high school or now in college so i honestly don't think he gets it. But going into my rookie year of marching, I'm not sure what it will do to our relationship. Maybe we'll just put "us" on hold (but not necessarily become single for the summer, just not try and talk to each other so much), and pick up where we left off after i come back.

Well, here's what I think: IMO, "real" love is about being partners in support of each other as you walk your own individual paths in life. If you two are cool enough to be able to put something on hold for a few months, then that's great. If the long-distance relationship becomes tedious for either or both of you, then I think that tells you both something.

(edited to add: I've been married for almost 14 years to a non-drumcorps guy.)

Edited by TerriTroop

In the spring of 2005 my girlfriend broke up with me before tour because she wasnt interested in dealing with a long term relationship for 3 months. It was hell at the time, but go back a few pages and read my other post to see how that all turned out :tongue: