DCI Trivia Game

Well, I don't know off hand without looking at prelims, but in finals, you were 11th, Troop was 12th and during the Associates Championships that the Crossmen won, they earned an 81, while at finals, both of you earned a 77.

Crossmen got an 86/something in the associate championship. I remmeber saying wow, they could have , should have beaten like five corps ahead of them...

G

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about quads, but Spirit and Cavaliers had quints in 1978. My guess would be the Cabs, with their timbale/bongo or congo/bongo set up. If you are asking for a junior corps, then maybe Muchachos. I know Ludwig and Slingerland marketed this set-up in the 60's. Since this is a DCI trivia game, my answer would Muchachos 1972.

That reminds me, '73 bridgemen trip line had a pair of bongos fused to their hi and lo drum for a total of 5--does that count?

Crossmen got an 86/something in the associate championship. I remmeber saying wow, they could have , should have beaten like five corps ahead of them...

G

I have to agree that Crossmen should have beaten both Troopers and Cavies in 1979, but, they had a very poor prelims show (according to many who were in the crowd that day). The strange thing about the scores for all of the corps mentioned is that they were tied before penalties were taken out of the score! I really don't think that this could happen again this day and age.

The reason that Troopers and Cavies beat Crossmen that day is because they both performed their shows at their best and Crossmen just did not! Crossmen had a better hornline, drumline and colorguard then both Troop and Cavies that year but did not have "it" in their prelims performance. I really think that this episode is why there are quarters and semis now instead of just prelims like we had in the day! :thumbdown:

The strange thing about the scores for all of the corps mentioned is that they were tied before penalties were taken out of the score!

Not true. Crossmen and Troop had an 82.10 before penalties. We had an 82.30.

Anyway, is there a question on the table?

The answer to the Ab bonus questions involves Ken Norman, the +1 "fourth Tenor".

Ever the patron of the absurdities in our beloved activity, his defense (as I understand it) would have been that Ab (concert Eb) could always have been played "in tune" on the older G/D horns, which were still legal, thank you very much. (They still are, of course.)

The concept of declaring a previously permitted pitch "illegal" was patently absurd on the merits, or lack of same.

Speaking of which, a fire hydrant would be considered legal percussion under "other", I believe.

If these answers are deemed acceptable, here's my question:

Who was the soprano soloist for SCV's 1971 "Matchmaker"?

Hint: He had the most reliable high "G" in that line, and a lip trill indicative of the soloistic style from another region of the country.

"...and make me a perf-(insert trill here)-ect Match!"

The answer to the Ab bonus questions involves Ken Norman, the +1 "fourth Tenor".

Ever the patron of the absurdities in our beloved activity, his defense (as I understand it) would have been that Ab (concert Eb) could always have been played "in tune" on the older G/D horns, which were still legal, thank you very much. (They still are, of course.)

The concept of declaring a previously permitted pitch "illegal" was patently absurd on the merits, or lack of same.

Speaking of which, a fire hydrant would be considered legal percussion under "other", I believe.

If these answers are deemed acceptable, here's my question:

Who was the soprano soloist for SCV's 1971 "Matchmaker"?

Hint: He had the most reliable high "G" in that line, and a lip trill indicative of the soloistic style from another region of the country.

"...and make me a perf-(insert trill here)-ect Match!"

Wayne Downey

"The use of a slip-slide to obtain a low A flat is not permitted", said the DCI Bluebook.

But the 1977 Anaheim Kingsmen boldly risked a DQ to bring the drum corps activity this exciting "forbidden note". The American Command sopranos had two tuning slides, and the larger one could easily be pulled a half-step.

A few seasons later, Joe Lintz built the Blue Devils a custom set of .470 bore Brand X sopranos. These even had a pull ring on the cheater slide, as you can see in the photo below. The slide with a waterkey is the actual tuning slide:

CheaterslideLintzsop.jpg

The Kingsmen's defense was quite valid. The note played with the cheater slide was written as a G#, enharmonically correct.

Ab (or G# if you prefer) can be played on a WFL Italian-made tenor bugle on the D side with the water key opened.

We now return you to our regular scheduled program. Jesse, you're up.

Edited by HornsUp

"The use of a slip-slide to obtain a low A flat is not permitted", said the DCI Bluebook.

But the 1977 Anaheim Kingsmen boldly risked a DQ to bring the drum corps activity this exciting "forbidden note". The American Command sopranos had two tuning slides, and the larger one could easily be pulled a half-step.

A few seasons later, Joe Lintz built the Blue Devils a custom set of .470 bore Brand X sopranos. These even had a pull ring on the cheater slide, as you can see in the photo below. The slide with a waterkey is the actual tuning slide:

CheaterslideLintzsop.jpg

The Kingsmen's defense was quite valid. The note played with the cheater slide was written as a G#, enharmonically correct.

Ab (or G# if you prefer) can be played on a WFL Italian-made tenor bugle on the D side with the water key opened.

AWESOME

CheaterslideLintzsop.jpg

I do believe that Conta's were allowed to use the slip-slide to play the low A-flat as it was written into the Contra score that I played in 1977. There were a few spots in our show that we (the Contra line) used the slip slide to hit that "elusive" low A-flat.

Contras, being special cases, had an A flat dispensation.

The Olds BU-20, DEG 2V Magnum, and King K-90 all were designed with a slide to play low Ab.

Almost.

In each model, there was not enough slide pull to get all the way down to the note.

But we wrote it anyway, and the players dutifully complied.

Until the horns got all bent out of alignment from their efforts.