DCI Trivia Game

Guessing it could be one of the years Mandarins competed in Div. II with like 10 horns?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has to be the 1985 Fitchburg Kingsmen, Pepe Notaro's pride and joy. I think they had less than 15 members. DCW did a great article on them.

Edited by tommytimp

Guessing it could be one of the years Mandarins competed in Div. II with like 10 horns?

Div III....9 horns....WON Div III!

Said it before and will say it again....I have NEVER seen a corps maintain the quality in spite of the large member number fluctuations they went through from year to year the way Mandarins did back before they started letting non-Asians in (and thus bumping the numbers)

are you looking for World Class or Open class?

World Class I believe was the 1988 Glassmen

Don't know the open class answer

You know, I think our 87 corps was smaller than their 88 corps. How big were they in 88? Because we saw them about a thousand times that summer (and got to be very friendly, like party afterwards friendly) and we were both small, but they never freaked me out at how small they were. I'll check on the size of the knights in 87 - which was the year we didn't put a battery on the field, just pit.

Update: From the Western European News Desk

The Knights marched 50 people in 1987. Has there ever been a smaller top 25 corps? Boston 83 maybe?

Edited by tommytimp

You know, I think our 87 corps was smaller than their 88 corps. How big were they in 88?

The number I keep hearing for '88 Glassmen is 49 members.

The Knights marched 50 people in 1987. Has there ever been a smaller top 25 corps? Boston 83 maybe?

Academie Musicale 1990, IIRC, was reportedly smaller (47)....but no one comes close to the 1994 Americanos. They fielded 16 brass, pit-only percussion of nine, and six guard. Not sure they had a DM, but even if so, that's only 32 members. Americanos won division III that year and advanced to division I's opening round, where they earned a final rank of 23rd.

But there have been smaller corps than that in DCI Championships....and no one has named the smallest one yet.

I think the smallest corp to attend championships week would be Marion Cadets in 99. They marched 12 members that year, with 4 percussion, 4 horns, and 4 colorguard. One of the colorguard members was also used as the drum major. I think it was the next year DCI came up with the rule you must have 30 members to compete.

I think the smallest corp to attend championships week would be Marion Cadets in 99. They marched 12 members that year, with 4 percussion, 4 horns, and 4 colorguard. One of the colorguard members was also used as the drum major. I think it was the next year DCI came up with the rule you must have 30 members to compete.

That takes some really big balls, every member is a soloist for the entire show. Big props to them.

Actually, 1999 Marion had seven horns, five percussion and five guard at DCI....and they were smaller in at least one other year. But there's still another corps that was smaller than any of Marion's units.