Talk to ma about

Who really knows people who are able to afford to buy a $3 million building.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know this still boggles me. I couldn't imagine having enough members in one city to make 2 corps. It's sad the west coast missed out on all those years. I didn't even know DCA existed until 2003.

Sunrisers, Bushwackers, Cabs and Fusion are probably within 50 miles of each other (probably alot less but I'm NJ geographically challenged), and you used to have Sky in there too.

I'll use this for example. This is an actual listing that is local to me. If anyone brought the listing agent of this property a sale, a deal can be made that the Org. would get a percentage for the referral. In this area it's typically a 30% consideration. Now there are a number of things that you need, A title company, Appraisers, Plumbers, Electricians, Inspectors, Loan Officers, Realtors, Notaries ETC. ETC. All of these professionals are perfect partners and would love to see their business card size ad in your program. Or on the side of your equipment truck. Sell a 1 foot by 1 foot squares to local businesses. Then market to companies who provide services that you need regularly.

This deal if an agent received 3% commission would bring a total of $95,250.00 or $28,000+ for the corps. Twice that if they double ended it. My point is a small team of member marketers could bring these deals in on a monthly basis. It's hard work initially but if you give your team a 20% referral fee it's a healthy living and you've made the first step towards acting collectively. This when it snowballs is an awesome tool and you've helped local business and local community members and YOU did the work. This can work with any line of business, Maybe the barber and the carpet cleaner needs engine work. The rule is don't make the person providing the service pay for what you need. If the mechanic can do it for cost plus lunch he may get a haircut for the cost of a tip. or his carpets cleaned just for paying the carpet cleaner some gas money and lunch. I know it sounds weird but sometimes our major expense is food. A partial payment with a safeway or gas card is usually suggested. If you make it more affordable people will come back and frequent you. And spread the word. Then when our members are in great shape financially we celebrate and share our technique. There is no asking for donations, You go out a bring the business in. You ask businesses, If we bring you your business could we get a cut? If you handed an agent this deal below, You could certainly bargain up your fee AND there is no way he'd pass. Now imagine partnering up with your areas largest brokerage and showing a presence at the open houses. You have to have a team that looks good in a suit and go after big ticket donors.

Recently Renovated Apartment Bldg--Silicon Valley 925 Pomeroy Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95051

$3,175,000

No. Units: 20

Building Size: 12,869 SF

Price/Unit: $158,750

Cap Rate: 6.44%

Gross Rent Multiplier:10.96

Occupancy: 95%

Highlights

NEW PRICE-Great Demographics--Average Household Income of $102,000 within 1-Mile Radius

All 20 Units Were Completely Remodeled in 2003 (Including Updated Kitchens & Bathrooms)

Close to Public Transportation & Expressways--Within Walking Distance of 2 Parks including the Santa Clara International Swim Center

Building Painted in 2007--New Roof & All New Dual Pane Windows Installed in 2002

Low Expenses & Easy to Maintain Grounds--On Site Coin-Operated Laundry Room (New Machines Owned by Landlord)-Units Separately Metered for P.G.& E.

Fantastic Location--Close to Shopping & Restaurants on Homestead & El Camino Real; near Santa Clara University

Description

NEW PRICE, MOTIVATED SELLER! Excellent opportunity to acquire a recently renovated, well maintained 20-unit apartment building in a great location in Santa Clara!

All 20 units were completely remodeled in 2003 with new cabinets and countertops in kitchens, new kitchen appliances, new flooring in kitchens and bathrooms, fresh paint, new bathroom vanities and light fixtures, new toilets, new lighting fixtures and new carpeting throughout. Newer air conditioners in most units.

The building was painted in 2007. A new roof and all new dual pane windows were installed in 2002. There are two water heaters for the building; both are newer.

Each apartment has a covered parking space and a storage space. Common area amenities include a pool, on site coin-operated laundry room with new washers and dryers (landlord owned) and an outdoor barbeque area.

Great location in a nice, quiet residential neighborhood close to shopping and restaurants on Homestead and El Camino Real; near Santa Clara University.

Close to public transportation, Lawrence & San Thomas Expressways, I-280 and US 101.

Excellent demographics, average household income of $102,000 within 1-mile radius.

Scheduled Gross Income--$289,800

Effective Gross Income--$281,322

Operating Expenses--$76,788

Net Operating Income--$204,534

I'm all for creative ways to finance a non-profit, but the above could be hazardous. The corps, like any tax-exempt organization, needs to report its sources of income to the IRS. Generally, those sources need to be reasonably related to the reason the corps is exempt in the first place -- i.e., member dues, appearance fees, etc. If you have too many sources of income unrelated to the charitable purpose of the organization, then the IRS could say the corps is really acting in a for-profit posture and not a charitable one, and that income could be taxed or, worse, the exempt status of the corps could be in jeopardy. if you have these for-profit activities conducted by organizations who are legally supporting organizations of the drum corps, rather than just getting a cut of the butcher's profits, then it may be OK.

To avoid this, find sources of income related to being a drum corps. And get donations from people who love you and want to support you.

I'll use this for example. This is an actual listing that is local to me. If anyone brought the listing agent of this property a sale, a deal can be made that the Org. would get a percentage for the referral. In this area it's typically a 30% consideration. Now there are a number of things that you need, A title company, Appraisers, Plumbers, Electricians, Inspectors, Loan Officers, Realtors, Notaries ETC. ETC. All of these professionals are perfect partners and would love to see their business card size ad in your program. Or on the side of your equipment truck. Sell a 1 foot by 1 foot squares to local businesses. Then market to companies who provide services that you need regularly.

This deal if an agent received 3% commission would bring a total of $95,250.00 or $28,000+ for the corps. Twice that if they double ended it. My point is a small team of member marketers could bring these deals in on a monthly basis. It's hard work initially but if you give your team a 20% referral fee it's a healthy living and you've made the first step towards acting collectively. This when it snowballs is an awesome tool and you've helped local business and local community members and YOU did the work. This can work with any line of business, Maybe the barber and the carpet cleaner needs engine work. The rule is don't make the person providing the service pay for what you need. If the mechanic can do it for cost plus lunch he may get a haircut for the cost of a tip. or his carpets cleaned just for paying the carpet cleaner some gas money and lunch. I know it sounds weird but sometimes our major expense is food. A partial payment with a safeway or gas card is usually suggested. If you make it more affordable people will come back and frequent you. And spread the word. Then when our members are in great shape financially we celebrate and share our technique. There is no asking for donations, You go out a bring the business in. You ask businesses, If we bring you your business could we get a cut? If you handed an agent this deal below, You could certainly bargain up your fee AND there is no way he'd pass. Now imagine partnering up with your areas largest brokerage and showing a presence at the open houses. You have to have a team that looks good in a suit and go after big ticket donors.

Recently Renovated Apartment Bldg--Silicon Valley 925 Pomeroy Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95051

$3,175,000

No. Units: 20

Building Size: 12,869 SF

Price/Unit: $158,750

Cap Rate: 6.44%

Gross Rent Multiplier:10.96

Occupancy: 95%

Highlights

NEW PRICE-Great Demographics--Average Household Income of $102,000 within 1-Mile Radius

All 20 Units Were Completely Remodeled in 2003 (Including Updated Kitchens & Bathrooms)

Close to Public Transportation & Expressways--Within Walking Distance of 2 Parks including the Santa Clara International Swim Center

Building Painted in 2007--New Roof & All New Dual Pane Windows Installed in 2002

Low Expenses & Easy to Maintain Grounds--On Site Coin-Operated Laundry Room (New Machines Owned by Landlord)-Units Separately Metered for P.G.& E.

Fantastic Location--Close to Shopping & Restaurants on Homestead & El Camino Real; near Santa Clara University

Description

NEW PRICE, MOTIVATED SELLER! Excellent opportunity to acquire a recently renovated, well maintained 20-unit apartment building in a great location in Santa Clara!

All 20 units were completely remodeled in 2003 with new cabinets and countertops in kitchens, new kitchen appliances, new flooring in kitchens and bathrooms, fresh paint, new bathroom vanities and light fixtures, new toilets, new lighting fixtures and new carpeting throughout. Newer air conditioners in most units.

The building was painted in 2007. A new roof and all new dual pane windows were installed in 2002. There are two water heaters for the building; both are newer.

Each apartment has a covered parking space and a storage space. Common area amenities include a pool, on site coin-operated laundry room with new washers and dryers (landlord owned) and an outdoor barbeque area.

Great location in a nice, quiet residential neighborhood close to shopping and restaurants on Homestead and El Camino Real; near Santa Clara University.

Close to public transportation, Lawrence & San Thomas Expressways, I-280 and US 101.

Excellent demographics, average household income of $102,000 within 1-mile radius.

Scheduled Gross Income--$289,800

Effective Gross Income--$281,322

Operating Expenses--$76,788

Net Operating Income--$204,534

Something to me, being in real estate/mortgage says I can't see a lot of realtors going for it, at least for the numbers you're talking about.

I'm all for creative ways to finance a non-profit, but the above could be hazardous. The corps, like any tax-exempt organization, needs to report its sources of income to the IRS. Generally, those sources need to be reasonably related to the reason the corps is exempt in the first place -- i.e., member dues, appearance fees, etc. If you have too many sources of income unrelated to the charitable purpose of the organization, then the IRS could say the corps is really acting in a for-profit posture and not a charitable one, and that income could be taxed or, worse, the exempt status of the corps could be in jeopardy. if you have these for-profit activities conducted by organizations who are legally supporting organizations of the drum corps, rather than just getting a cut of the butcher's profits, then it may be OK.

To avoid this, find sources of income related to being a drum corps. And get donations from people who love you and want to support you.

right,...............I was trying to say something like this when I was talking about transportation...................you did a much better job tho!

Edited by Gary Matczak

It is possible but there was only one year that they were in the top 6 of DCA. Cru has been down the sheet for most of those years since 1990. I hope CRU comes back!

given the 2 corps coexisted in that city since 1983, it is possible...plus for years you had the Patriots too, and now you have the Sabres down the road.

It is possible but there was only one year that they were in the top 6 of DCA. Cru has been down the sheet for most of those years since 1990. I hope CRU comes back!

and shortly after 1990, the Brigs came in to play as well.

Note the post I made a few posts back. Look at the NJ corps demographics and there were years you'd have TWO corps within 20 miles of each other in the top 3.

It can be done.....................but no one is saying its easy.

Note the post I made a few posts back. Look at the NJ corps demographics and there were years you'd have TWO corps within 20 miles of each other in the top 3.

It can be done.....................but no one is saying its easy.

Also helps if you have the population and corps history/bcakground in the area. In Rochesters case it's the history as they had two excellent Seniors in the mid 70s (Crus/Phoenix) and early 60s (Cru/Grey Knights). As for having plenty of warm bodies to draw from... well Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse ain't the NYC metropolitain area.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

right,...............I was trying to say something like this when I was talking about transportation...................you did a much better job tho!

990's can be filed and 1099's can be given to members. Not dangerous at all.