F.S.O.A.T

Favorite Show Of All Time (... I know, I know... I'm just as anxious for the season to start as everyone else....)

Couple rules.

No runners up. No ties. No "... but a close second would be XXX".

You have an interweb gun to your head and need to pick JUST ONE. ... what is it and why.

For me, Cadets '98 - Stonehenge. I can't entirely put my finger on it, but for me it stands out as one of their "darker" shows. It had all of the typical Cadet traits I dig - fast, lots of notes, great guard (simple but effective sideline/endzone chromatic feature), great percussion (love the tenor feature), clean (although probably not their cleanest). And that Canterbury Chorale ballad is something that gets me every time.

Your turn.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluecoats 2007 (Crimminal). Greatest hornline in my opinion and should have got the ott trophy. The guard had lots of character to them which increased entertainment value. That horn book was just incredible!!! So many notes and so clear, balanced and in tune!!! The opening pit stuff sounds like a studio recording and the battery were definately percussion title winners. There's a video on the tube of the drum judges tape from that year (no video of show) and he just pretty much splooged all over them. The tuba section was the best tuba section ever to hit the field period!!!! Ya crowns sounded great this season but nothing was as technically difficult as that seasons tuba book (should not have been watered down for finals). The corps also acheived a victory over all the corps at least once that season. Only top 7 corps to do so recently. Standing on the field finals night was a real treat. Especially since i got to see the facial expressions and hear pure tone even from that close.

Alright, enough pleasuring myself, next?

The Cavaliers 2002 show Frameworks. To me it was the best show i've ever seen. It was marched and played so well and im just so impressed whenever I hear or see it. It just makes me proud to be a cavie fan. :thumbdown:

Tough one, to be sure!

But if I had to pick just one Favorite of all time, I would have to go with Cadets of Bergen County 1993: In the Spring at the Time When Kings Go Off To War. It might not be the cleanest show ever (some would argue it wasn't the cleanest show of 1993), and it's not the most innovative show of all time. But IMO, it has GREAT music performed very well, an incredible percussion section and guard, and just a very well designed show that has beautiful melodies, fast technical phrases, and a great (yet very simple) thematic theme/story. I honestly think it's a perfectly designed show: it doesn't hurt that it has one of my all time favorite band pieces (On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss).

Blue Devils 2009- "1930"

Brilliant blend of creative flair, world-class technicality, and cleanliness. Absolutely amazing guard and percussion.

95 Madison