cavaliers 2002

The term "fight club" for that section came after it was choreographed, learned, and performed. Like most corps, they name certain sections of their show and the name just "stuck" one day.

Since the show was basically the elements of music, or "frameworks" of music, the dance sequence was simply a visual interpretation of the rhythmic theme.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was freaking excellent. Hey I understand that there are those that go against the grain and dislike what the "majority" loves. I mean heck, I thought SCV 09 was about the most bland mess I'd seen in years, but I know that I am in the small minority there. There likewise will be people that didn't like Cavies 02 or the fight club which in my opinion was the most memorable moment of that show. Honestly, my band kids remember that show and that moment probably more than any other from the gazillion shows they've seen. (well the more I think about it, stabbing a drum major with a huge spear is also remembered quite well by my bandos).

The theme and the concept and the "trick" go hand in hand.

Its weird how that is exactly the opposite of what the judges thought....scoring it higher than any cavs show or ANY other show but cadets 05....

Oh yes, because we all know that the what the judges decide is the end all, or the ultimate gospel of the activity........

G

Its weird how that is exactly the opposite of what the judges thought....scoring it higher than any cavs show or ANY other show but cadets 05....

Oh yes, because we all know that the what the judges decide is the end all, or the ultimate gospel of the activity........

G

some of the members on this site are soooo bitter to certain corps, its incredible. I bet if Crown put a fightclub sequence in their show this year, many on here would consider it revolutionary and trend-setting. so predictable its scary.

No, if Crown tried that if would be just as cheesy as their shows usually are.

This doesn't really mean anything.

It is useless to compare scores across years because scoring is relevant only as a tool to measure corps against each other on the same night. Point spreads are what really matter when the judges put numbers on the sheets.

It's not like the judges thought "Hmm, I think this show is .5 points better than any other Cavies show I've ever seen. I'll write that down.". They put a spread between them and the other corps that they thought was appropriate that night.

Ending up with a higher winning score than a different corps from a different year does not mean that the show was better. It just means that on that particular night, the spread between corps worked out that way.

Edited by geluf

some of the members on this site are soooo bitter to certain corps, its incredible. I bet if Crown put a fightclub sequence in their show this year, many on here would consider it revolutionary and trend-setting. so predictable its scary.

I saw this post and thought I'd missed something due to the defensive stance. Looked back, no, I didn't miss a thing!

Try not to be too predictble in the stance, up to then nobody was sooo bitter it warranted the post.

FWIT- I love 2002 Cavaliers. My favourite drill pretty much from any Corps. Fight Club section is awesome!

Strangely, the music is quite hummable too. All in all my favourite Cavaliers show.

G

He is saying that (in his opinion) DCIs and The Cavaliers highest scoring show is the worst they have done since the 70s... Just seems a little drastic.

Maybe some disagree with the judges just for the sake of disagreeing... The crowd was on their feet after Fight club... and at the end of the show...it was more than just judges who though that this show was amazing... (maybe not the best...but do you really believe its the worst?)

Edited by TheClutch

This doesn't really mean anything.

It is useless to compare scores across years because scoring is relevant only as a tool to measure corps against each other on the same night. Point spreads are what really matter when the judges put numbers on the sheets.

It's not like the judges thought "Hmm, I think this show is .5 points better than any other Cavies show I've ever seen. I'll write that down.". They put a spread between them and the other corps that they thought was appropriate that night.

Ending up with a higher winning score than a different corps from a different year does not mean that the show was better. It just means that on that particular night, the spread between corps worked out that way.

Then he is saying every show in 2002 is worse than every cavs show since the 70s also... right?

Then he is saying every show in 2002 is worse than every cavs show since the 70s also... right?

Uh, no, actually. That isn't what he is saying at all.

You seem to be confusing subjective personal opinion with objective technical judging (I'll grant, part of judging is certainly subjective).

There could be any number of reasons he likes it the least. Perhaps the concept didn't do it for him, or something about the show composition itself. Part of being a fan and not is judge is being able to like and not like a show based on nothing more that personal preference. Judges do not have that option. They judge as objectively as possible the product that is on the field, not only from a design standpoint, but from one of execution. I doubt he would say that the Cavies didn't *execute* the 2002 show on a very high level...that much is obvious. Instead, he is putting forth the opinion that he finds the show, as a whole, to be not very satisfying.

It's a perfectly valid opinion.