cavaliers 2002

Uh, no, actually. That isn't what he is saying at all.

You seem to be confusing subjective personal opinion with objective technical judging (I'll grant, part of judging is certainly subjective).

There could be any number of reasons he likes it the least. Perhaps the concept didn't do it for him, or something about the show composition itself. Part of being a fan and not is judge is being able to like and not like a show based on nothing more that personal preference. Judges do not have that option. They judge as objectively as possible the product that is on the field, not only from a design standpoint, but from one of execution. I doubt he would say that the Cavies didn't *execute* the 2002 show on a very high level...that much is obvious. Instead, he is putting forth the opinion that he finds the show, as a whole, to be not very satisfying.

It's a perfectly valid opinion.

any opinion is perfectly valid.

If i said "2008 PhantomRegiment is the WORST show they have put on since the founding of the corps"

Perfectly "valid" opinion.. Doesnt really make much sense though.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If all else were equal, I would refuse to believe that this would be Jeff's least favorite Cavaliers show since 1978. Think about all the shows that includes. There are the similar shows from the 2000s like 2003, even what some consider misses from this decade like 2005, the bombs like 1997, the weird like 1994, and even the pre-resurgence shows from the early 80s.

But I recognize that not all shows are judged equally. The fact is that Frameworks was also the most successful Cavaliers show since 1978, and one of the two or three most successful shows that any DCI corps has ever had. That kind of success means that it is held to a higher standard by most fans, and produces strong opinions on either side. Put simply, a lot of people either love it or they hate it. I'm disappointed that not everyone loves it as much as I do, but unfortunately I wasn't around to prevent Jeff from eating paint chips as a little kid. :tongue:

Its weird how that is exactly the opposite of what the judges thought....scoring it higher than any cavs show or ANY other show but cadets 05....

well, when have I ever seen truly eye to eye?

were they good? yes. The show bored me tho, and lots of dirt was hidden by the book numbers...a lot more credit, IMO for the what than the how. I dont care that it wasn't "loud", but it just seemed like buld ups to visual gimmick after visual gimmick, and the music score got way too much credit for the visual demand. I mean yes it is a ##### to play donuts running at 220, but, I'd take 2000 or 2001 over it any day of the week.

He is saying that (in his opinion) DCIs and The Cavaliers highest scoring show is the worst they have done since the 70s... Just seems a little drastic.

Maybe some disagree with the judges just for the sake of disagreeing... The crowd was on their feet after Fight club... and at the end of the show...it was more than just judges who though that this show was amazing... (maybe not the best...but do you really believe its the worst?)

no...let me re-educate you. what I said was:

however, i usually love the Cavies, but 2002 is my least favorite show of theirs going back to 1978.

I never said worst. I said least favorite. HUGE difference"

Uh, no, actually. That isn't what he is saying at all.

You seem to be confusing subjective personal opinion with objective technical judging (I'll grant, part of judging is certainly subjective).

There could be any number of reasons he likes it the least. Perhaps the concept didn't do it for him, or something about the show composition itself. Part of being a fan and not is judge is being able to like and not like a show based on nothing more that personal preference. Judges do not have that option. They judge as objectively as possible the product that is on the field, not only from a design standpoint, but from one of execution. I doubt he would say that the Cavies didn't *execute* the 2002 show on a very high level...that much is obvious. Instead, he is putting forth the opinion that he finds the show, as a whole, to be not very satisfying.

It's a perfectly valid opinion.

thank you for getting it. least favorite doesnt mean i thought it sucked at all. It meant I didnt like it.

If all else were equal, I would refuse to believe that this would be Jeff's least favorite Cavaliers show since 1978. Think about all the shows that includes. There are the similar shows from the 2000s like 2003, even what some consider misses from this decade like 2005, the bombs like 1997, the weird like 1994, and even the pre-resurgence shows from the early 80s.

But I recognize that not all shows are judged equally. The fact is that Frameworks was also the most successful Cavaliers show since 1978, and one of the two or three most successful shows that any DCI corps has ever had. That kind of success means that it is held to a higher standard by most fans, and produces strong opinions on either side. Put simply, a lot of people either love it or they hate it. I'm disappointed that not everyone loves it as much as I do, but unfortunately I wasn't around to prevent Jeff from eating paint chips as a little kid. :tongue:

I have them all on dvd. saw pretty much everyone of them live. yeah, it's my least favorite since 1978. dirty as say 79-84 may have been, the 94 show was eh, 97 well, they tried...and even last year...yeah I'd watch any of them over 2002.

as I said before, sure they were great. But I personally dont think it was the greatest of all time. Then again, I think Cadets 05 was #### clean, but I hated that show too

any opinion is perfectly valid.

If i said "2008 PhantomRegiment is the WORST show they have put on since the founding of the corps"

Perfectly "valid" opinion.. Doesnt really make much sense though.

Neither does this response. Jeff has already pointed this out, but I'll say it anyway: No where did he say it was the "worst" show they have done. Only that it is his least favorite.

If you can't understand that there is a fundamental difference between those two phrases...then I'm not really sure there's much else I can tell you.

Neither does this response. Jeff has already pointed this out, but I'll say it anyway: No where did he say it was the "worst" show they have done. Only that it is his least favorite.

If you can't understand that there is a fundamental difference between those two phrases...then I'm not really sure there's much else I can tell you.

well you know, if you dont like a show, to some on here, that means you think it sucks, blah blah blah, hate the kids, blah blah blah

fill in any lame comeback I may have missed :tongue: