What and Why, 27th Lancers?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like 27 for several reasons. I liked thier style of show. They always had something interesting going on. And on a personal level the members were just plan nice. We toured along with them in 84. There was some interaction and the people just seemed to like to met other marchers. I say this because while on tour several corps wanted to have that Bad### mode and keep to themselves. I'm not going to mention names just to say they were west coast. Even though one of thier rifles broke my heart they will always be one of my top 3 corps.

Yes, they were a great group, even pre-DCI. They housed us when we were up in the MA area, and we housed them in NJ.

I always loved their shows and style. After Garfield, through the 70's my favorite!

I say this because while on tour several corps wanted to have that Bad### mode and keep to themselves. I'm not going to mention names just to say they were west coast.

I never thought that....but when you're at the top of the food chain and always go on last darn close, you don't have time to mingle much because retreat's coming up right after you finish the post-show meeting.

On a personal note...I had no problem talking with other corps members....ask any member of VK's 84 plate line about us chatting for so long after retreat that I was the LAST guy back into civvies after the Cheyenne show...caught hell for that, in fact (no one knew where I was!)

I never thought that....but when you're at the top of the food chain and always go on last darn close, you don't have time to mingle much because retreat's coming up right after you finish the post-show meeting.

On a personal note...I had no problem talking with other corps members....ask any member of VK's 84 plate line about us chatting for so long after retreat that I was the LAST guy back into civvies after the Cheyenne show...caught hell for that, in fact (no one knew where I was!)

oh pleeease...you were hoping you would look down and someone would have dropped a "ring" !

LOL

G

There was just something about that Corps that made them special. I dont know if it was there music or the way they approched there show, something. I guess when I marched agianst them their last 3 yrs it was mabye a cokyness that permiated thru them, for sure their drumline. 84 I even thought they won high drums. And I am a horn player. They were good. I cant believe that no one tries that style, I think the last to try was Star.

usually had a crowd pleasing musical book.......

brass usually kept them out of the running.........they had some decent books and attempted to sell the show, but usually were outperformed musically by the better brass lines in the country..........

I always felt that too. The arrangements of the music was great, but the sound of the horn line was a little 'rough'. From what I recall, in 71 and 72 they had the most musical hornline in the east.

The 27th Lancers style of show would not work today because some of the judging captions have been rewritten since this show was on the field, and other captions, most notably the " General Effect " captions have different yardsticks used to ascertain superior " General Effect " from inferior " General Effect.

There can be little doubt that if the 27th Lancers were in existence today, the staff would never design such shows as this, as they would be completely buried in placement. ( Conversely, today's Corps staff would never design shows like they do today for back then, or else they would have the marchers subjected to different standards.... and likewise buried with the judging captions utilized in the late 70's, early 80's, as well )

I have to disagree just a bit here. I do believe that there is room for a style such as 27th's today. Yes, you would update drill and guard work, but I believe the style of presentation could work. Yes, the effect would be judged differently (nothing new there....I don't believe effect judging has EVER been done very well, and is the most precarious caption to this day)...Example, if somebody played a hot arrangement of Crown Imperial with demand in all captions and a drill with big musical and visual hits, I think that it would work. Win? Maybe not, but it didn't win the 1st time around, either. But I think you could be a strong finalist with an updated version of a 27 show. It would certainly be enjoyed. I would also like to see room for a style such as Bridgemen or VK......I would agree that would be much harder to update, but it would be cool to see someone try, and wonderful if they succeeded.

GB

1982 was awesome, a testament to hard work and persevearance....they started the season with a very inexperienced corps that didnt fare well, score-wise, losing to many corps early including consistent loses to Gafield, Crossmen, Bridgemen and Cavaliers......finally, after first tour, there were re-writes and hard work and b4 you knew it, Cavaliers were left behind, then Bridgemen were left behind..now mind you, Crossmen were on fire first tour beating Garfield consistently including DCI East...by 2nd tour, Lancers were on fire and really selling their show and come prelims were sitting right under Crossmen, Bridgemen were beaten by Freelancers and Cavaliers did so poor they almost didnt make the cut......FInals night? 27th turned it on and were on fire, finally overcoming Crossmen and landing in a solid 6th place........

For me, 27 was the epitome of GE, family, hard work, loyalty, solid values, good role-models and great music..the total package......they are sadly missed.

G

I agree with most of your post, but you did have some inaccuracies......27th actually beat the Cadets in the season opener on a Saturday, but lost to them by 7 points the very next day. The Cadets solidified after a few losses to Phantom/Madison early and won 10 straight going into DCI East prelims....the Crossmen did catch fire, but it wasn't until East prelims, and they did not beat the Cadets at all (let alone consistently) on first tour and at all up to that point, and the Cadets rebounded to take DCI East finals. The Crossmen did beat the Cadets a few more times as the Cadets made show changes. Bridgemen also beat the Cadets at the opener, and also beat the Cadets once in mid-July. Bayonne did level out the last 10 days of the season, but at 9th and 8th at Championships they were hardly at risk for missing the cut, as the 2.5 point spread attests to. I do agree with your 27 comments, though, and they made a nice improvement over the course of the season.

GB

I agree with most of your post, but you did have some inaccuracies......27th actually beat the Cadets in the season opener on a Saturday, but lost to them by 7 points the very next day. The Cadets solidified after a few losses to Phantom/Madison early and won 10 straight going into DCI East prelims....the Crossmen did catch fire, but it wasn't until East prelims, and they did not beat the Cadets at all (let alone consistently) on first tour and at all up to that point, and the Cadets rebounded to take DCI East finals. The Crossmen did beat the Cadets a few more times as the Cadets made show changes. Bridgemen also beat the Cadets at the opener, and also beat the Cadets once in mid-July. Bayonne did level out the last 10 days of the season, but at 9th and 8th at Championships they were hardly at risk for missing the cut, as the 2.5 point spread attests to. I do agree with your 27 comments, though, and they made a nice improvement over the course of the season.

GB

Not so much inaccuracies as they are memories from 28 years ago...after a while, it all blends together and I did forget 27th beat Garfield.....for the most part, you get my gist..Lancers started slow, the East flip-flopped, and by seasons end, 27 was a solid top corps.

G

Entire corps was visually stunning in the mid-to-late 1970s. Fabulous percussion in the 1980s.

The reason the horns had a tough time was usually due to the visual demands, but what they played was EXCITING, if not technically "clean".

You always knew you were in for something special when they came onto the field.