What and Why, 27th Lancers?

I have to disagree just a bit here. I do believe that there is room for a style such as 27th's today. Yes, you would update drill and guard work, but I believe the style of presentation could work. Yes, the effect would be judged differently (nothing new there....I don't believe effect judging has EVER been done very well, and is the most precarious caption to this day)...Example, if somebody played a hot arrangement of Crown Imperial with demand in all captions and a drill with big musical and visual hits, I think that it would work. Win? Maybe not, but it didn't win the 1st time around, either. But I think you could be a strong finalist with an updated version of a 27 show. It would certainly be enjoyed. I would also like to see room for a style such as Bridgemen or VK......I would agree that would be much harder to update, but it would be cool to see someone try, and wonderful if they succeeded.

GB

Thanks Bob. As a legend in my own mind - I have to agree. I marched 4 years and was on the staff for 4 more. What I did while marching, and then teaching 4 years later, could not be compared. We were always evolving - just like every other corps. And as different corps starting pushing the envelop, everyone else had to catch up, or get left behind. This is still true today.

One of the things that made 27th distinct started with our uniform. Many corps were wearing West Point style cadet uniforms. In part due to the cost on those uniforms, and the corps style based on the movie The Charge of the Light Brigade, it was decided to keep the uniform simple - which had a profound affect on membership and fans alike. Within a year or two, the theme of the four British Isles (England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales) was evident in the corps various uniforms and marching majors.

To the strengths of the corps - guard was always strong - visual was always strong - GE was always written into the show.

In the first 8 years of the corps life, the hornline was the section that was getting the marks - with no disrespect to the hard working monsters of the drumline. Starting in 1976, the tables were turning and the drumline starting getting noticed - we defeated the Blue Devils in percussion at Drums Along the Rockies in Denver. Again - the hornline was working hard, more musical, better phrasing - all of the qualities needed to help the corps - but other corps were getting the edge in the brass caption.

Also - right from the very beginning, the staff was designing the show around the rules - looking for opportunities to take advantage of what the rules did NOT say. An example - you had to cross the end zone to enter the field. But no one said you couldn't start on the back sideline. The baritones/contras formed small squads and marched around the corner to enter the field. Another example - the tempo was judged and was supposed to be around 120 BPM. 27th fooled around with their tempos and set a musical portion back to 120 BPM when it was judged.

The corps also had the one of the toughest and fiercest competitors in all of drum corps in the Boston Crusaders - located within a half hour drive of Revere. I compare this to SCV and BD being in the same geographical location, as well as Cavies and Phantom.

It was a great corps - and I am enormously proud of my heritage. I marched with some of the original members, was taught by Ike Ianessa (RIP) and drum instructor Jim Buckley. I marched with George Zingali and years later I taught 27th with him. I always say that I was at the right place, at the right time, all thanks to George and Patsy Bonfiglio.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entire corps was visually stunning in the mid-to-late 1970s. Fabulous percussion in the 1980s.

The reason the horns had a tough time was usually due to the visual demands, but what they played was EXCITING, if not technically "clean".

You always knew you were in for something special when they came onto the field.

They came, they saw, they conquered. The Guard was the superb.

-Bill

In 1982, at Whitewater there was a huge thunderstorm about an hour before finals was about to start. As the skies cleared and we all came out from under the stadium, 27 was warming up with Danny Boy as the skies cleared.

A beautifully stunning moment - one of my favorite memories.

Thanks Bob. As a legend in my own mind - I have to agree. I marched 4 years and was on the staff for 4 more. What I did while marching, and then teaching 4 years later, could not be compared. We were always evolving - just like every other corps. And as different corps starting pushing the envelop, everyone else had to catch up, or get left behind. This is still true today.

One of the things that made 27th distinct started with our uniform. Many corps were wearing West Point style cadet uniforms. In part due to the cost on those uniforms, and the corps style based on the movie The Charge of the Light Brigade, it was decided to keep the uniform simple - which had a profound affect on membership and fans alike. Within a year or two, the theme of the four British Isles (England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales) was evident in the corps various uniforms and marching majors.

To the strengths of the corps - guard was always strong - visual was always strong - GE was always written into the show.

In the first 8 years of the corps life, the hornline was the section that was getting the marks - with no disrespect to the hard working monsters of the drumline. Starting in 1976, the tables were turning and the drumline starting getting noticed - we defeated the Blue Devils in percussion at Drums Along the Rockies in Denver. Again - the hornline was working hard, more musical, better phrasing - all of the qualities needed to help the corps - but other corps were getting the edge in the brass caption.

Also - right from the very beginning, the staff was designing the show around the rules - looking for opportunities to take advantage of what the rules did NOT say. An example - you had to cross the end zone to enter the field. But no one said you couldn't start on the back sideline. The baritones/contras formed small squads and marched around the corner to enter the field. Another example - the tempo was judged and was supposed to be around 120 BPM. 27th fooled around with their tempos and set a musical portion back to 120 BPM when it was judged.

The corps also had the one of the toughest and fiercest competitors in all of drum corps in the Boston Crusaders - located within a half hour drive of Revere. I compare this to SCV and BD being in the same geographical location, as well as Cavies and Phantom.

It was a great corps - and I am enormously proud of my heritage. I marched with some of the original members, was taught by Ike Ianessa (RIP) and drum instructor Jim Buckley. I marched with George Zingali and years later I taught 27th with him. I always say that I was at the right place, at the right time, all thanks to George and Patsy Bonfiglio.

LancerLegend, what a memory! That WAS 40 years ago, after all.....glad I'm not old like you.... :thumbup: Just wanted to add some perspective to what you said about 27 and BAC being so close to each other. As a statement of what the Boston area drum corps scene was like in the late 70s-early 80s.......I vividly remember rehearsing on Sundays in May at the infamous East Boston(Logan Airport) stadium, with 27, BAC, and Northstar all taking turns on the field at staggered times. Imagine......three "World" class corps literally practicing at the same place! What an era!

For me, they were the whole package: strong music, outstanding horn lines, great drumline, but that color guard was what sealed it for me.

Their guard (flags and rifles) threw everything into the air...never seeming to miss! Spot on...ALWAYS! And with a "I dare you to find anything wrong with me!" Like they could spin telephone poles. My jaw dropped every time I saw them. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

Plus, dare I admit it? I love plaid. Wacky for the khaki!

Well said. I also might add that Jim Wedge did a fantastic job as brass arranger. The music of the 27th Lancers was entertaining each and every year and it fit the style adopted by the 27th Lancers Corps very well. Most of their marchers did not come from a strong music background. It was not something that came naturally to many of them. Most were complete novices to proper music training and many had to be taught how to read music. Literally. Yet through hard work and intense and dedicated practices they were able to attain a level of performance on the field that was quite remarkable really.

What made them so popular back in the day? Why is that style not being used in Drum Corps anymore?

Two words: "flags" and "rifles".

For me, it was always their visual program: fabulous color guard, stellar marching execution and design. And they did it all with a "Can you top this?" mentality, almost a challenge to everyone else. They weren't quite as "in your face" about it as Phantom; there was a touch of coolness, almost detachment, to their swagger. But they exuded such an air of confidence, and there was never any question that they were there to take on all comers.

I was going to write a novella here about how we were "blue collar" all the way through our history but I decided to just let the sound and pictures speak for themselves.

http://beanman.net/HistoryX.html

Take the tour, chapter by chapter in the words of the Lancers themselves.

UPDATE: I think I have a few broken links in there but most of it is intact. Time to get of my ### and fix the site I guess.

Edited by drmr27