What and Why, 27th Lancers?

Respectfully, I think that winning Allentown the week before Finals and placing 2nd at Nationals make 1980 the year where they were really considered to be a real contender to win DCI. They were fabulous that year and really did just peak a week too early.

Allentown Finals was absolutely one of the best single performances I've ever seen from any drum corps ever.

Cheers!

Karen

Respectfully noted... and AGREED! It was indeed 1980 where 27th was "thaaat"close to winning, wasn't it? <holding fingers a 16th of inch apart... :tongue: >

As I recall now, it was the early season "buzz" that had 27th being a real strong contender for DCI Champions in '81 due to the previous years placement. Still, they did fantastic in '81 overall, anyway.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my first year with 27th. A raw rookie who only knew about drum corps from my dad's VFW albums (he marched with St. Kevin's) and some local EMASS shows he took us to. The family aspect of the corps was the one thing that I'll always hold dear to my heart. When me and my brother joined we had zero experience. Yet, George Zingali immediately took a shine to us and kind of made us his proteges (sp?). We had a lead soprano teach us and he also played third soprano parts with us into the season until we were comfortable with the parts. Many other members (too many to name) helped us as much as possible to learn how to play and march without falling over ourselves. This is something you'll never see today. We were welcomed with open arms and in turn we gave them everything we had for allowing us to be part of the 27th Lancer family. We too were in the right place at the right time.

Thank you George and Patsy, George Zingali (may you all rest in peace) and all the Lancer family for being such a profound influence on my life.

I always loved 2-7. I distinctly remember watching them during Finals in 1975 and the crowd roar during the kick step in Crown Imperial was so loud you almost couldn't hear the corps playing. I still listen to the live recordings I have.

One of my best years in drum corps was in '82 when I joined 2-7 part way through the season. I was called by one of my former R.C. corps mates and flew up to Boston on People's Express (remember them?). Everything Kevin said about how other members treated one another was true; I (along with others from R.C.) were welcomed and absorbed into the corps. Putting on that uniform and marching out on the field was truly amazing.

BTW, I marched right next to you in the mellophone line, Kevin... :rolleyes:

Greg

I was going to write a novella here about how we were "blue collar" all the way through our history but I decided to just let the sound and pictures speak for themselves.

http://beanman.net/HistoryX.html

Take the tour, chapter by chapter in the words of the Lancers themselves.

UPDATE: I think I have a few broken links in there but most of it is intact. Time to get of my ### and fix the site I guess.

FYI - I just watched half of the "One More" video and had to quit. You have the player placed directly in a field crowded with a bunch of black-and-white photos, and it completely messed with my eyesight for over an hour and gave me a wicked headache.

I'd love to see the whole thing, but the way the page is set up, there's no way I can do it.

Just thought you should know, and I wonder if anyone else had that experience.

I always felt that too. The arrangements of the music was great, but the sound of the horn line was a little 'rough'.

many of our horns were very old or in poor condition. Some of us were still using valve-rotor horns in the 1986 season.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone asked why 27th's style wouldn't work in today's DCI.......

Well, here's the REAL reason. Because the 27th Lancers were so "Drum Corps"....and todays artsy-fartsy judges just hate REAL drum corps. So, the Lancers would be scored below everyone else.

This would not sit well with the fans, who would riot in protest, burn the stadium to the ground, tar and feather the judges, and march thru town with the 27th Lancers carried on the fans' shoulders!!! :blink:

DCI wouldn't care much for that whole scene. :satisfied:

I watched SCV 85 on Youtube and someone posted on there, "What is the theme of this show?".

This theme stuff has gone too far. It is far too esoteric for me. You don't need a theme!!!! Just good music and good marching!!

I really don't care for much of this new stuff at all. Haven't been to a championship since 2001.

Have been to a coupe of quarter final theater showings, but hardly anybody makes me want to stand up and cheer like they did in the 70-80's.

See, that's one of the things about back in the day..... Ya never knew who was gonna win!

For example, you could go to a show where the Kilties, Scouts, Cavaliers, PR, and Black Knights were on the slate. Let's say the finish on Sat. evening went same as listed above. The NEXT DAY it could finish Scouts, Kilties, PR, Cavaliers, Black Knights. Then the very next time the Cavies met the Mad Plaid, they could well be the winners.

For years, I have been able to attend a DCI show, and accurately pick the final placements of the corps, before a note of music is even played.

I know.....times have changed.....for the better! That's why drum corps fans can no longer buy good seats for $1.25, a hot dog for a dime, or a record with 4 corps on it for 2 bucks. It's called progress.

Just found my prelims ticket for Philadelphia either '75 or '76.....guess the price???

$3.00 General admission...no reserved seats.

Respectfully, I think that winning Allentown the week before Finals and placing 2nd at Nationals make 1980 the year where they were really considered to be a real contender to win DCI. They were fabulous that year and really did just peak a week too early.

I posted a similar thought on another thread a while ago..... but I'll say it again:

I've been a Blue Devils fan for a long time, and watching those 1980 Finals that night on PBS, I was very happy that BD won.

But as the years have gone on... every time I've seen the Lancers' performance from that show, I get choked up...especially, as an earlier poster here alluded to, during the big final push in Danny Boy, when that corps was flat-out layin' it on the line... power, pride and passion all wrapped up into a very special "drum corps moment."

I cannot shake the thought... every time I see that performance... that their show that night in 1980 turned out to be the Lancers' last, best shot at winning a DCI title. I wish they had won one.

I wish they had won one.

Me too..... :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
I cannot shake the thought... every time I see that performance... that their show that night in 1980 turned out to be the Lancers' last, best shot at winning a DCI title. I wish they had won one.

Beautiful post, Fran. I agree.