Corps Status Checks

Although I am not sure my personal feelings on a corps staying quiet, I do understand the idea of being a surprise and not wanting to announce a show before the song rights are in hand. I think we all have seen there are people out there that desire to bring down a drum corps, so staying quiet would help keep enemies lost.

Any other thoughts?

I really don't understand the whole hush hush thing.

Things like music rights are things that need to get hammered out in the summer long before the season starts in the fall. Members need ammunition at the recruiting table to feed their army. You have to have a product to sell in order to sell it. So sell it!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I've just never been able to understand why corps are afraid to release what their numbers look like before they hit the field. We're gonna find out eventually. I don't honestly think that any corps would work harder or less depending on what their competitors are fielding, right?

I know that if I were in charge of a corps I would keep as much hush hush as possible and unleash the beast at the first public appearance! And with the way MOST drum corps planet topics go, I really don't feel like the frigging nay sayers starting crap as usual and turning an informative topic into a mudslinging party...

CRU not competing in 2101 is sad news to me.

SKY with all their past bravado/bullyrudeness....makes me feel vindicated that in 2010 they are all but defunct(sorry but its how I feel)

Wow. This this reminds me of my first year in dca (1992) when I made the mistake of walking past their busses. I was told that I am going to get my face smashed into the pavement. I don't blame the corps. I blame the one member who said that. I have to admit that they became a very freindly bunch by the mid 90's.

I really don't understand the whole hush hush thing.

Things like music rights are things that need to get hammered out in the summer long before the season starts in the fall. Members need ammunition at the recruiting table to feed their army. You have to have a product to sell in order to sell it. So sell it!

What? Music rights in the summer? You mean a full year ahead of time? That's a ridiculously rare event if a corps has their show selected AND they have their permissions a full year early.

I understand the hush thing. Low numbers at a rehearsal breeds low return of those that are already at rehearsal. e.g. you show up and there are only 18 horns and 2 snares standing there when your corps marched 45 horns and 7 snares the previous season. The new guy you just brought along sees this and isn't impressed; never comes back. So do you advertised that you have a third of what you had the previous year to draw more folks? I don't think so. You have to advertise the positive things.

c'mon, think through these things.

What? Music rights in the summer? You mean a full year ahead of time? That's a ridiculously rare event if a corps has their show selected AND they have their permissions a full year early.

I understand the hush thing. Low numbers at a rehearsal breeds low return of those that are already at rehearsal. e.g. you show up and there are only 18 horns and 2 snares standing there when your corps marched 45 horns and 7 snares the previous season. The new guy you just brought along sees this and isn't impressed; never comes back. So do you advertised that you have a third of what you had the previous year to draw more folks? I don't think so. You have to advertise the positive things.

c'mon, think through these things.

here's novel idea...........quit the hype and making things up...............tell the truth and build from there.

BTW, good luck Shenandoah Sound. Its good to see NoVa with a drum corps. I look forward to seeing you all in Rochester.

Thanks! Our show (South Pacific) is coming along great! We finished the opener and had several run thrus of the second tune. We are still in the recruiting mode with a big push for more members in all positions for our next practice session weekend 4/24/10. See you on the 50'.

here's novel idea...........quit the hype and making things up...............tell the truth and build from there.

:tongue: That's all I'M askin' for!

Thanks! Our show (South Pacific) is coming along great! We finished the opener and had several run thrus of the second tune. We are still in the recruiting mode with a big push for more members in all positions for our next practice session weekend 4/24/10. See you on the 50'.

Who gets to play Shipwreck (Ray Walston "My Favorite Martian"/Judge Bone in "Picket Fences") in grass skirt and coconut bra. :tongue:

LOL have a CD with 1950/1951 sounds and one corps was doing "Bloody Mary". :tongue:

So... for 2010, I wanted to see where some of our new/returning corps stood. Can folks involved with the respective corps please comment and advise/correct the information below? (No speculation or rumors, please. Just the facts, folks!)

Brigadiers - Not fielding a competitive corps in 2010.

Crusaders - Not fielding a competitive corps in 2010.

Austin Stars - Regrouping?

Chops, Inc. - Parades only in 2010, looking to return to the field in 2011.

Gulf Coast Sound - Returning to field competitions / Championships in 2010?

SoCal Dream - Returning to field DCA Championships in 2010?

High Country Brass - Coming to DCA Championships in 2010?

Skyliners - in a new home doing parades & exhibitions in 2010?

Interesting... I thought that DCA was the only part of drum corp that was growing and that was a reason why they did not need to combine or work together with DCI........Sure looks like a lot of DCA corps are also experiencing difficulties.......Interesting.........

Interesting... I thought that DCA was the only part of drum corp that was growing and that was a reason why they did not need to combine or work together with DCI........Sure looks like a lot of DCA corps are also experiencing difficulties.......Interesting.........

No reason to combine and DCA/DCI do talk and work together....

Just another indication that all aspects of Drum Corps, including Alumni types and Minis, are affected by what goes on in the world. All the better reason to work together and not be happy when the "other side" is having a downward turn.

Where's the "Do Not Feed" icon at......