Will this bring DCI back to Orlando?

I have corresponded with a DCI employee on a couple of occassions who was negative towards holding a drum corps show in Florida and I do think that it is a shame. They cited problems that dated back to the 1980's and the "trouble" it is for drum corps to go to Florida as if humidity and rain do not happen anywhere else throughout the summer. If you want to confine the activitiy to a specific region then that is not a positive to way maintain your product. I would like to see a combined DCI and DCA show in Tampa or Orlando as we now have two DCA corps. If the details surrounding the housing, location of the show, and other issues were a major problem with a show in Orlando, look at the show coordinators. Who handled that task?

Want a big Florida show, move it to F.S.U. in Tallahassee? Huge Stadium and up in Northern Florida. BTW, that little Milton,FL show doesn't have one biggie. No BD, Cavies, Crown, Phantom, SCV or Cadets. Hey, since it's right up the road, maybe I'll go watch em warm up in the parking lot or get a free ticket from somebody. Not paying $$$$$$ for that lineup......

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I think a show at Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee would be awesome, I highly doubt the school higher ups would go for it. The stadium grass is like a shrine to all that is Seminole football. There's a stained glass window of Bobby Bowden on the side, if that says anything. If they rarely let the Marching Chiefs on the field for a practice, I doubt they'd want 5+ drum corps marching on it during a time of the year when the grass isn't manicured.

Tallahassee does have another option for a big stadium:

3880560200_d04403a3c7.jpg

Bragg Stadium at FAMU, just a few blocks south of Free Shoes U. Seats about 25,000

There's actually a main reason why DCI Orlando is no more.

Disney.

In the past, Disney was picking up the bill. From the ambulances to the stadium rental.

Disney pulled the plug after last summer.

Unless another major corporation were to step up and cover the bills, you won't see DCI Orlando again.

Yes, it rains....A LOT.

It's Humid

Housing Sucks

It's out of the way

The Cadets will NEVER return

Plenty of good reasons, but it's the lack of funding from Disney.

Take it to the bank. Thank you, good night.

There's actually a main reason why DCI Orlando is no more.

Disney.

In the past, Disney was picking up the bill. From the ambulances to the stadium rental.

Disney pulled the plug after last summer.

Unless another major corporation were to step up and cover the bills, you won't see DCI Orlando again.

Yes, it rains....A LOT.

It's Humid

Housing Sucks

It's out of the way

The Cadets will NEVER return

Plenty of good reasons, but it's the lack of funding from Disney.

Take it to the bank. Thank you, good night.

In that case, YAY for recessions! :tongue:

Want a big Florida show, move it to F.S.U. in Tallahassee? Huge Stadium and up in Northern Florida. BTW, that little Milton,FL show doesn't have one biggie. No BD, Cavies, Crown, Phantom, SCV or Cadets. Hey, since it's right up the road, maybe I'll go watch em warm up in the parking lot or get a free ticket from somebody. Not paying $$$$$$ for that lineup......

Sorry about your bad attitude about the activity. The tickets are not that expensive, either. At least there is a show in Florida. People who actually buy tickets help the show sponsor to off set the cost of hosting the show. If they can make a profit, then maybe next year they can add to the line up with a corps you want to see. If they lose money, there is a chance there will be no show there next year. At least support them with the minimal cost of the ticket. Of course, if you just want to go to warm ups...that is fine, but wouldnt you learn more from the "biggies" anyway? lol

Edited by ItsOnTheField

I'd love to go see a show up in Tallahassee.

Granted FSU is waaaaay too big for a regular DCI show, FAMU or the Tallahassee Fair Grounds would be suitable.

It'd be cool to see them incorporate a show into FSU's band camp, similar to what they used to do up at JSU.

I know of a high school in Tampa that would be willing to hear a proposal to do a small corps show. USF's soccer/track stadium is a good venue but there's no visitor side bleachers, just a forest of trees.

Sorry about your bad attitude about the activity. The tickets are not that expensive, either. At least there is a show in Florida. People who actually buy tickets help the show sponsor to off set the cost of hosting the show. If they can make a profit, then maybe next year they can add to the line up with a corps you want to see. If they lose money, there is a chance there will be no show there next year. At least support them with the minimal cost of the ticket. Of course, if you just want to go to warm ups...that is fine, but wouldnt you learn more from the "biggies" anyway? lol

Don't pay any attention to LSUGRAD82.

In April, 2007, he started a thread bemoaning the fact that there were no shows scheduled that summer in Louisiana. Then, a month or so later, DCI added a show in Lafayette, La., to the schedule. LSUGRAD's response?

"No Cavaliers, Blue Devils or Cadets but it's better than nothing!"

Better than nothing??????

The lineup for that show was Phantom, SCV, Boston, Glassmen, Spirit, Blue Stars, Cascades, Troopers and Revolution. And all he can say is that it's "better than nothing?"

Guess you can't please some folks no matter what you do. :tongue:

LSU. :worthy: What ever happened to Red Stick Thunder in Tiger Stadium? That was a pretty good show in one of the best stadiums in the country.

Drum Corps in Thibodaux La. :tongue:

I did like the LSU show at Tiger Stadium, but since that isn't going anymore, what is wrong with it in Lafayette?? The stadium is great, nice looking turf....sound is great being the bowl that it is. Parking is more than adequate.....housing isn't an issue. I was stoked when the show was put on and I hope it survives and becomes a show that will always be. Blue Devils are even there this year.